Have you ever been scammed?

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
The first time I was scammed I was 17.
I was working at a gas station and my boss talked me into loaning him some money so he could get a new paint job on his truck.
We wrote a contract where I loaned him $500. He was to pay me back $100 a month for six months. The first month rolled around and he paid me the $100. 2 weeks later him and his family disappeared. He was managing 4 different gas stations at the time, and I found out later he had written that same contract with 3 other employees (1 from each gas station).
Oh, and for those that are curious, it was a '48 Chevy he had restored, and the paint job was the last thing he needed. It was a nice truck.

Have you ever been scammed? What was the scam?

I was 14. I went to a carnival with some of my friends. I bought some flashlight thingy for 75 cents. I gave the guy a dollar. I held out my hand for the change. He gave me a nickel. I put it in my pocket. He gave me another nickel. I put it in my pocket. He did this 4 times total. I didn't realize until I got home that he scammed me out of a nickel. DAMN YOU CARNY!

Every time I wrote the IRS a check and received absolutely nothing for it.

So, the streets you drive down are paid for with what? Or, the safety our military provides is covered by private donors, no?
(Supposed to be) covered by fuel taxes and lawful federal imposts, duties and excises.

Income taxes are the price we pay for a worthless currency and an overbearing paternalistic big gubmint that prints up too much of it.

Yes.

I let myself be talked into being a wingman for a friend on a double date without seeing the girl first.

Turns out I could safely feed her Alpo.

I know a dude who thought he had found a wesite for direct distribution from china for electronic merch like flat screen tvs and xbox 360s.. he ended up sending over 2k to China via WESTERN UNION.. I told him from day one that this was a scam.. he still sent the money.. he tracked his package from China to his doorstep.

He received a box with used shoes in it. hilarious.

Everytime I look at a dollar bill and realize that it's only worth about 73 cents, I feel scammed.

I know a dude who thought he had found a wesite for direct distribution from china for electronic merch like flat screen tvs and xbox 360s.. he ended up sending over 2k to China via WESTERN UNION.. I told him from day one that this was a scam.. he still sent the money.. he tracked his package from China to his doorstep.

That was an expensive scam. I hate the ones you see on news programs from time to time. It's always some poor senior citizen who's embarrassed as hell they he got scammed and to be on tv telling the story.

That was an expensive scam. I hate the ones you see on news programs from time to time. It's always some poor senior citizen who's embarrassed as hell they he got scammed and to be on tv telling the story.

Have you ever read any Scambaiter websites? I'm rather conflicted because, on one hand, I hate the deception involved from nigeria but, one the other hand, if I were dirt ass poor in Africa i'd try to scam an American too. Yea, that dude had a lot of egg on his face after all that. He'd talked some mutual friends into "investing" and the sum total was lost; a lot of rice for dinner in China THAT night.. I guess this is where the whole "if it seems to good to be true" motto kicks in.

New Topics

Forum List

Back