Have you drugged your kid today?

She is right, kids ARE over medicated just because they don't fit inside the teachers 'nice little square box', and because mommy and daddy put them on the video games so they wouldn't have to actually interact with their child.

Hmmmm, freedom of speech for saying kids are over medicated?

I guess not in a private school. :dunno:

We don't even know who is on meds unless the student tells us. It is amazing that doctors and parents don't ask for feedback regarding its efficacy. If my child was taking Prozac or Ritalin, I think I'd like to know if it's working or not. Go figure. :confused:

Apparently this woman has a bunch of bumper stickers on her car. It just seems ridiculous that anyone would be offended, and even so, I don't get how some think there is some "unalienable right" not to be offended. Talk about "sweating the small stuff". Someone may have had an ax to grind for something else unrelated.

She is right, kids ARE over medicated just because they don't fit inside the teachers 'nice little square box', and because mommy and daddy put them on the video games so they wouldn't have to actually interact with their child.

We don't even know who is on meds unless the student tells us. It is amazing that doctors and parents don't ask for feedback regarding its efficacy. If my child was taking Prozac or Ritalin, I think I'd like to know if it's working or not. Go figure. :confused:

Apparently this woman has a bunch of bumper stickers on her car. It just seems ridiculous that anyone would be offended, and even so, I don't get how some think there is some "unalienable right" not to be offended. Talk about "sweating the small stuff". Someone may have had an ax to grind for something else unrelated.

I agree with everything you say.

But still, I'm not convinced this woman's rights were infringed.

Maybe she's one of those "Evil Leftist Libtard" teachers we hear so much about...........

I agree with everything you say.

But still, I'm not convinced this woman's rights were infringed.

Of course they weren't infringed.

But she can make a big enough stink about it, and hopefully the school will give her a nice severance package.

Do you really think she is in favor of drugging kids or is the bumper sticker a statement that kids are drugged too much by well meaning idiots who think A.D.D and the like are actual diseases?

Do you really think she is in favor of drugging kids or is the bumper sticker a statement that kids are drugged too much by well meaning idiots who think A.D.D and the like are actual diseases?

I'm going with # 2 Skull.

And she could also be against Big Pharma Companies.............

And the kids they "over drug" for profit.

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- The longest red light in the world would not give you enough time to read all the bumper stickers on Tarah Ausburn's Toyota Prius hybrid.

"I just like the ability to take a controversial topic and sum it up in one clever line. I'm an English teacher; that's what I do," Ausburn told CBS 5 News.

But this English teacher found herself in the principal's office after she said some parents at Imagine Prep High School in Surprise started complaining about a bumper sticker on Ausburn's car that asks, "Have you drugged your kid today?"

"It's kind of a criticism of us tending to over-medicate hyperactive kids who might not need those medications," said Ausburn, who said she has been a teacher for seven years.

Ausburn said she is fighting to get her job back, claiming that her First Amendment rights were violated.

Teacher: I Was Fired Over A Bumper Sticker - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

Does she have a case?

That's a public charter school.

I guess it's pretty obvious that this woman is an extreme Leftist who is very vocal about her political and social beliefs. 61 bumpers stickers? That's funny. 'Drugged your kids' sounds a bit extreme, especially since illegal drugs are such a problem today. Her 'Buck Fush' sticker is in poor taste and is probably inappropriate for a school teacher who parks her car on school property visible to students.

It's a toss-up for me. If parents complain about a teacher, the board is obligated to do something. They gave her a simple choice: remove the bumper sticker. She didn't so they fired her. Private companies have certain rules for employees. And if people complain about you, the company will act. I don't see how this should be any different.

I'm having a difficult time understanding how her 1st Amendent rights were violated. The students need to meet a certain code of conduct and so do the teachers.

Anyway, Good luck in finding a job during a recession.

I watched the video and they said that one parent claimed the issues with her were "unrelated to the bumper sticker". Hmmmm. The plot thickens.

There are many cars in our school parking lot that have political and/or "offensive" bumper stickers. Some belong to teachers and some belong to students. I don't think it's a battle worth fighting. Slippery slope.

We don't even know who is on meds unless the student tells us.

Why should you? That's confidential patient information.

It is amazing that doctors and parents don't ask for feedback regarding its efficacy. If my child was taking Prozac or Ritalin, I think I'd like to know if it's working or not. Go figure. :confused:

Again, without knowing who is on what, you couldn't really be pulled into that process, and under federal laws, you aren't entitled to know who is on what.

Also Prozac is an antidepressant. It's unlikely that you or I could assess it's efficacy unless we were trained psychiatrists/psychologists.

I think methylphenidate/Ritalin would probably be easier and more observational.

Most child psychiatrists adhere to the recommendation of the American Association of Pediatrics that requires two separate observations from two separate persons before prescribing a stimulant for ADHD. One person is the parent, and the other is usually a teacher. Have you ever been given the form to fill out?

That means, if children are being over medicated, that the teaching profession is facilitating this as they are involved in the process.

I think her bumper sticker is an obnoxious dig at some of the parents of her student's best efforts to get medical care. Since she was given the option to remove the sticker as a condition of employment and decided not to, I am not sympathetic to her. If the school had simply fired her without a chance for remediation, it would be a different story.

Seeking help for hyperactive kids doesn't make parents villains. Some children really benefit from them, especially those with conduct disorders, that are highly correlated with ADHD, that are prone to evolving into antisocial personality disorders and criminality. There is good evidence that these medications can help.

Last edited:
I have never been asked to fill out a form for a doctor. And yes many kids do benefit from meds. But some suffer side effects and dosage should be monitored. As a parent, I would want to know if my kid seems hyper or sleepy during certain times of the day. I used to send out a parent questionaire and had an optional comment section about health concerns. I learned some useful info about allergies, vision, medications, etc. that the parents wanted the school to know. I don't bother anymore because too few kids returned it. A lot of parents think the teachers know that info, but they don't. HIPAA regs are ridiculous.

Forum List

Back