Have We Squandered Our Cultural Inheritance?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Vel, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    September 02, 2010 | View Comments

By Timothy Dalrymple

Believe it or not, Glenn Beck gets it.
    Whatever else Beck has right or wrong -- and I confess I have never watched or listened to him much -- it seems to me that he is correctly interpreting the present moment. Which is no small matter. And, as indicated by the "Restoring Honor" held before the Lincoln Memorial last Saturday, he might even be correctly responding to it.
    What does he get? Beck gets that there is a deeply and urgently felt conviction emerging organically across a broad swath of the American populace that the spectacular economic and political collapses of recent years were made possible -- even inevitable -- by a much longer Great Moral Decline. Americans' commitment to Judeo-Christian principles, secured for most by a belief in biblical authority, long served to fuel the engine and fortify the rails of our government and economy. Yet now, it is feared, that commitment is no longer powerful and pervasive enough to propel the American marketplace and constrain the excesses and abuses in private and public sectors. In the words of Dr. Alveda King: "Our material gains seem to be going the way of our moral losses."
    This is not an exclusively religious concern. Even secular scholars have long recognized that America's Judeo-Christian heritage supplied a set of ideals and principles -- such as the Protestant work-ethic and strong commitments to honesty, integrity, and compassion -- that encouraged and reinforced the habits and qualities that tend to help democracies and free markets flourish.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,311
    Can you provide any data that there has been a Moral Decline?

If so, can you prove that it affected the economy?

3. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Dat true. Rule of law as well.

In Japan and China they have a moral code based on personal honor that probably worked better. But it too is in decay.

However many say that materialism itself destroys morality. Which is why many resist the corrupting influence of modern economies.

4. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    are you serious? Just take one look at Congress.

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,311
    Sorry...doesn't answer the question

Show a period of time we have had high moral values and then show how we have had a "moral decline" since then

What moral values have declined?
    Show how they impacted the economy

6. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    Good question.

We abolished slavery

We granted civil rights that can no longer be denied due to race, creed, color, gender, age, or disability

We stopped practices like child labor

We made sure that a basic education was available to all

We succeeded in keeping religion from being a factor in our public institutions

Yeah we squandered our cultural inheritance. Good riddance.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    Good point. More minorities and woman than ever before, making that body much more a reflection of who we are as a people, rather than a body of old white men. Is that a bad thing? To me, that has made us a more moral people, and elevated our core beliefs in equality.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Traditionally morals equate not with just religion but ethics and how one should live one's life. Children were taught to think of others and such things as tone of voice, language, manners, respect, thrift, and use of time.

Adults and children and those in power in government and business sure could use those types of lessons today.

9. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914

Rightwinger.. You're welcome to spend the day chasing data as you please, but I don't choose to do so. This is an OPINION piece and one that I happen to agree with. Unlike you, I don't need a stack of data to validate my opinion to myself.

10. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    As ugly as our rhetoric is today, it's still a helluva lot better than it was in other periods of our history. At least our congress isn't clubbing each other with canes to the point of coma, because of a fundamental disagreement in policy. It's been a long time since a sitting vice president murdered a former treasury secretary in a duel.