Have they no shame?

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
$51 billion in budget cuts affecting, primarily, the neediest among us? $60 billion in tax cuts affecting, primarily, the wealthiest among us? What is Congress thinking? And who are they working for?...Because it's surely not their constituents.

That tax cuts would even be considered in a time of war, with the Bush administration's support, indicates the true level of concern shared by the Congressional leadership and the White House for the "war on terrorism"...Very little indeed. Should we not be sharing, in some small way, the sacrifices our troops are making as they have been sent into harm's way? Can we not pay, in the form of higher taxes, to support the war effort? Instead Congress and the Administration choose to borrow from foreign governments thus weakening our position abroad as well as putting our economic future at risk.

<blockquote>"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." - Matthew 25:40</blockquote>

Words which our nominally Christian leadership in Congress and the White House would do well to remember.

Yet again, Congressional leadership has failed their constituents, their office and the Constitution. They should be ashamed of themselves. They have much to be ashamed of.

dmp said:
If people are 'needy' they need to work harder at being 'not needy'. I've found most of the Poor are 'wanty'...not 'needy'.

;)
not only are they often 'wanty' but also often 'whiney'

I used to be "needy", but was never "whiney". I went to "schoolie" and got an "educationie", and now work "hardy" for my "money", and I'm no longer "needy"... :cof:

I was actually havent a somewhat intelligent conversation with some liberals and conservatives at yahoo of all places on this subject last night.

It's a pity there are so many people who fail to understand basic economic principles. Cut taxes and you strengthen the economy. If you want to cut deficits you cut spending and taxes to grow the economy. That way you can bring more revenue to compensate. Balancing budgets will always come from cutting spending or atleast the rate of growth. Never from tax increases because tax increases will choke the economy which means less transactions and less revenue coming in.

Most of the controversy was republicans refusing to increase taxes on oil companies. I don't know why Deomcrats seem to think Oil and corporations are evil. Its like they fail to understand that corporations help hard working citizens be employeed and the owners receive return on their investment. And I cant figure out how Democrats can complain about high tax prices and then say we need to increase taxes on oil companies who will simply add those taxes into the price and raise taxes.

The logic makes no sense. Anyone who understands economics at all would tell you that would choke the economy. But then sometimes I wonder if thats what Democrats want right now. That way they get back in power.

Bullypulpit said:
$51 billion in budget cuts affecting, primarily, the neediest among us? $60 billion in tax cuts affecting, primarily, the wealthiest among us? What is Congress thinking? And who are they working for?...Because it's surely not their constituents.

That tax cuts would even be considered in a time of war, with the Bush administration's support, indicates the true level of concern shared by the Congressional leadership and the White House for the "war on terrorism"...Very little indeed. Should we not be sharing, in some small way, the sacrifices our troops are making as they have been sent into harm's way? Can we not pay, in the form of higher taxes, to support the war effort? Instead Congress and the Administration choose to borrow from foreign governments thus weakening our position abroad as well as putting our economic future at risk.

<blockquote>"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." - Matthew 25:40</blockquote>

Words which our nominally Christian leadership in Congress and the White House would do well to remember.

Yet again, Congressional leadership has failed their constituents, their office and the Constitution. They should be ashamed of themselves. They have much to be ashamed of.

what is your definition of needy or poverty? they don't drive a car less than 7 years old? They don't have cable tv or a computer? most liberals can't clearly define their own terms, as I have never heard them actually do it. To me, needy means needs food, basic shelter, and basic clothing, and doesn't have a good supply of at least one of those. Granted, we would all like to live comfortably, not worrying about money or bills. But most people have to work hard for it, some harder than others, but that's life. Giving handouts doesn't help in most cases, it hinders them.

Why work for the money when they get it for free? What is the incentive to actually work for it? Only to be forced to give more and more to the government, for the hard earned money you made, just for doing well in life. Usually, people like to be rewarded for doing something well.

I was actually havent a somewhat intelligent conversation with some liberals and conservatives at yahoo of all places on this subject last night.

It's a pity there are so many people who fail to understand basic economic principles. Cut taxes and you strengthen the economy. If you want to cut deficits you cut spending and taxes to grow the economy. That way you can bring more revenue to compensate. Balancing budgets will always come from cutting spending or atleast the rate of growth. Never from tax increases because tax increases will choke the economy which means less transactions and less revenue coming in.

Most of the controversy was republicans refusing to increase taxes on oil companies. I don't know why Deomcrats seem to think Oil and corporations are evil. Its like they fail to understand that corporations help hard working citizens be employeed and the owners receive return on their investment. And I cant figure out how Democrats can complain about high gas prices and then say we need to increase taxes on oil companies who will simply add those taxes into the price and raise taxes.

The logic makes no sense. Anyone who understands economics at all would tell you that would choke the economy. But then sometimes I wonder if thats what Democrats want right now. That way they get back in power.

I took the liberty of making a small correction. :D

Anyway, the whole point of the bolded section is this simple bottom line.

Corporations don't pay taxes!

You heard me. Corporations do not pay taxes. They collect taxes. Corporations themselves are incapable of accumulating wealth, which means that this tax money is going to come from one of three places.

1) Shareholders. Cutting dividends hurts the investors (which aren't all rich Wall Street guys, btw), which lowers stock price and hurts the whole company.

2) Employees. Cutting pay and benefits can chase some employees off and is harsh on people who depend on the size of that check to pay the bills. Also, no self-respecting Democrat wants to hurt lower-wage employees.

3) Consumers. In this case, YOU are paying the tax, you just don't know it because it looks like a simple price increase.

Now, it could also cut costs in materials, but that hurts their supplier and the supplier they switch to is cheaper because they're stiffing either their employees or shareholders. Corporate tax is one of the most appalling frauds in our whole tax system.

Edited because I can't spell while ranting.

Forum List

Back