Have they found Amelia E's final resting place?

Immanuel

Gold Member
May 15, 2007
Interesting article.

Earhart's Final Resting Place Believed Found : Discovery News

Oct. 23, 2009 -- Legendary aviatrix Amelia Earhart mostly likely died on an uninhabited tropical island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati, according to researchers at The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR).

A number of artifacts recovered by TIGHAR would suggest that Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, made a forced landing on the island's smooth, flat coral reef.

A woman's shoe, an empty bottle and a sextant box whose serial numbers are consistent with a type known to have been carried by Noonan were all found near the site where the bones were discovered.

"The reason why they found a partial skeleton is that many of the bones had been carried off by giant coconut crabs. There is a remote chance that some of the bones might still survive deep in crab burrows," Gillespie said.

Although she did not succeed in her around-the-world expedition, Earhart flew off into the legend just after her final radio transmission.

Immie

Amelia is one of the great explorers. I have always admired her. One of the theories is that she and Noonan were captured by the Japanese and executed.

Amelia was a female aviator of nominal skills. It was her close appearance as a "Female Lindbergh" that got her the attention of newsreels and publicists. They even cut her hair to make her look more like Lindbergh

She botched the final Pacific leg of her round the world trip and ended up killing herself and her navigator

Amelia was a female aviator of nominal skills. It was her close appearance as a "Female Lindbergh" that got her the attention of newsreels and publicists. They even cut her hair to make her look more like Lindbergh

She botched the final Pacific leg of her round the world trip and ended up killing herself and her navigator

What is the matter with you? You know as well as I do that she was abducted by aliens. ;)

Really, though, what difference does what you just stated make? The intriguing part of the Earhart story is not whether or not she was a first class aviator, but, the mystery as to what actually happened to her.

Immie

Being a pilot I would have to lay the blame on her navigator.

I will introduce a conspiracy theory here regarding the "partial skeleton" found and subsequently lost. Those were Amelia Earhart's remains and those bones are now in the hands of a wealthy (AND CREEPY) private collector somewhere. Some freak paid major bucks to have her skeleton in a glass case to show to their other wealthy, creepy friends.

I think it was defective instruments.

A sextant is pretty fool proof. They did not have "instruments" as we know them back then.

Combine that serial numbered sextant with even one piece of a Lockheed L-10 Electra on the island or in the nearby sea and you have some pretty definative proof.

Me thinks he meant "foolproof" as in the sextant is not often defective, not in that it was proof that this was Amelia's final resting place.

Of course, the issue may not have been the navigational equipment, but, possibly navigator's error.

Immie

Amelia was a female aviator of nominal skills. It was her close appearance as a "Female Lindbergh" that got her the attention of newsreels and publicists. They even cut her hair to make her look more like Lindbergh.
I have to agree. Jackie Cochran was a much better pilot over the course of her career than Amelia but Amelia is the "star".

Jacqueline Cochran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hanna Reitsch was the best female pilot of the last century.

"Hanna Reitsch (29 March 1912 – 24 August 1979) was a German aviator and the only woman awarded the Iron Cross First Class and the Luftwaffe Combined Pilots-Observation Badge in Gold with Diamonds during World War II. Reitsch was the first woman to fly a helicopter, a rocket plane, and a jet fighter. She set over forty aviation altitude and endurance records during her career, both before and after World War II, and several of her international gliding records are still standing to this day".

Hanna Reitsch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back