Have sex with 5 students, do only four years

Inthemiddle

Rookie
Oct 4, 2011
Video link

The only thing I find more appalling than what this woman did, is the fact that her sentence is so minimal. If this was a male teacher having sex with just one female student, I've no doubt that he would have faced and even harsher sentence. I guess gender discrimination remains alive and well in our country.

Personally, I think we need to take a serious look at our statutory-rape laws and give them an overhaul. They do not accord with biological reality in many cases (including here in California, with a legal age of consent at 18).

I couldn't tell the details in this case, but assuming that the boys she had sex with were high-school teenagers and not, say, preteens, she did not in my opinion do anything worthy of a prison sentence. The only complicating factor that might justify disciplinary action of any kind is the fact that she is a teacher, and any disciplinary action arising from that should be dealt with professionally, not by criminal law. There is simply no way that a teenage boy given the opportunity to have sex with an attractive older woman can be credibly called a "victim."

(Hell, I can think of a number of teachers from my high school days I would have LOVED to be "victimized" by!) :razz:

It's true that the law treats adult men having sex with teenage girls much more harshly than vice-versa. However, that does not mean the law should be harsher on women. Just the opposite.

Puritanism is the syphilis of the soul.

Students were 17 at the time, which is of legal age. If they are not in school there is no crime. I think she got off with a harsh sentence, but that is my opinion.

Students were 17 at the time, which is of legal age. If they are not in school there is no crime. I think she got off with a harsh sentence, but that is my opinion.

One I fully agree with. There should be no crime at all here. Now, dismissal from the teaching profession, maybe.

Personally, I think we need to take a serious look at our statutory-rape laws and give them an overhaul. They do not accord with biological reality in many cases (including here in California, with a legal age of consent at 18).

I couldn't tell the details in this case, but assuming that the boys she had sex with were high-school teenagers and not, say, preteens, she did not in my opinion do anything worthy of a prison sentence. The only complicating factor that might justify disciplinary action of any kind is the fact that she is a teacher, and any disciplinary action arising from that should be dealt with professionally, not by criminal law. There is simply no way that a teenage boy given the opportunity to have sex with an attractive older woman can be credibly called a "victim."

(Hell, I can think of a number of teachers from my high school days I would have LOVED to be "victimized" by!) :razz:

It's true that the law treats adult men having sex with teenage girls much more harshly than vice-versa. However, that does not mean the law should be harsher on women. Just the opposite.

Puritanism is the syphilis of the soul.
I agree in part and disagree.

Yes, statuary rape laws should be revisited. Personally, I think they should be judged on age difference, not just age of one of the parties.

I disagree that the law should be different because of the gender of the older party. There is no equality for women if laws remain specific to gender.

Statutory rape laws exist because no one wants to live in a society where girls start becoming bastard factories in their early teens rather than their late teens. If you think children having children is a drain on the economy now, eliminate age of consent and you get an economy that resembles Mexico's.

Several states have laws on the books where persons in authority over others can be prosecuted for sexual misconduct with them. Even if the persons who were victims were of age.

And lets face it, guys will not suffer the harm women will from situations like this. The law respects that reality. I think the guys feel more traumatized by the damage done her than anything she did with them.

Forum List

Back