Havard Education = Smarts? Not so fast!

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
It used to be our highschools were failing to teach our kids, but now it appears our colleges are also! Havard is supposed to be one of the best colleges in the world, yet these graduates CANNOT explain why we have different seasons. Closeness to the SUN! WTF, seriously! I don't know about you, but I learned long ago in grammer school it was the earth's tilt that created the different seasons. These graduates think the Southern and Northern Hemisphere all have the same seasons. :disbelief: When it's summer in the North America its Winter in South America! WTF is going on with this country and please don't blame this on liberal teachers ONLY, the GOP is to blame for it also! Both parties are creating a generation of morons! More money is being spend on retired teacher pension funds, than on the schools themselves!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEfYLvxioc&feature=related]Harvard Grads about Seasons - YouTube[/ame]

Teachers are up against so many more things now than they ever have been. They have to compete with much more than the mere peer. :dunno: I don't envy them their jobs, for sure. Kids either choose to learn or they choose to be educated. One way or the other, the teachers/professors deserve their salaries and benefits for provoking them to independent thought and providing a safe environment for them to become transformed in. At least, that is, until something is made different about our fucked up educational system. Like, NOT making it a requirement as is. Teaching children to work and be self-sufficient does NOT happen in a school classroom or on college grounds...

As you've probably heard, the Texas Board of Education is in the process of picking new supplemental science materials that will be used to complement the state's outdated science textbooks. The state hopes you understand that it totally would have bought new textbooks, but it blew all the book money bribing companies to move to Texas. And yes, the state realizes that those companies will soon move back to Detroit and Cleveland once their CEOs realize that all the tax breaks in the world can't overcome a borderline illiterate workforce that thinks humans sprung from the earth's unsoiled vagina in 1924. But by the time that happens, Rick will already be president, so what does it matter?

Texas Science Textbook Wars: Ed Board Slashes Time for Public Comment - Houston News - Hair Balls

Always a fucking troll. Word to worthless pothead, I bet very few of the conservative students from Texas are at Harvard (since few through the country go there). So take your weak attack on Texas and shove it up your ass. I doubt the Harvard standard is anything similar to the Texas public school system!

As you've probably heard, the Texas Board of Education is in the process of picking new supplemental science materials that will be used to complement the state's outdated science textbooks. The state hopes you understand that it totally would have bought new textbooks, but it blew all the book money bribing companies to move to Texas. And yes, the state realizes that those companies will soon move back to Detroit and Cleveland once their CEOs realize that all the tax breaks in the world can't overcome a borderline illiterate workforce that thinks humans sprung from the earth's unsoiled vagina in 1924. But by the time that happens, Rick will already be president, so what does it matter?

Texas Science Textbook Wars: Ed Board Slashes Time for Public Comment - Houston News - Hair Balls

My friend got something like a 1450 on her SAT's, got letters from MIT etc and went to a private college in New York city, and one summer when she was home from this college showed up at my work with her parents cordless HOME phone and thought she could use it like a cell phone. It took me, who was going to community college at the time to tell her that it was not possible.

Always a fucking troll. Word to worthless pothead, I bet very few of the conservative students from Texas are at Harvard (since few through the country go there). So take your weak attack on Texas and shove it up your ass. I doubt the Harvard standard is anything similar to the Texas public school system!

Troll? This is about the the ignorance and corruption of science by neocons.

We have all met plenty of highly successful people, both in the acadmeic world and the world at large, who are also extremely IGNORANT about what most of us would imagine are well understood facts that "everybody" knows.

Some of the dumbest (read least well informed) people I know are professionals in highly technical areas where I am a complete ignoramous.

Go get a job outside your field of expertise sometime and just see how much there is to know that you don't have a clue about.

I remember working for PENNDOT when I was young and having to LEARN how to REALLY use a shovel.

People who didn't have the brains GOD GAVE GEESE laughed at my ignorance, and from their POV, they were absolutely right. I WAS an ignoramous

I didn't know doodlesquat about their world.

Last edited:

You must have drifted into the wrong thread. It happens to those with reading comprehensions issues.

Teachers are up against so many more things now than they ever have been. They have to compete with much more than the mere peer.
They are up against a lot. PC schools afraid of lawsuits. Not being allowed to get rid bad behavior children. Parent's refusal to help educate their kids. The lack of trying by so many kids. The constant perception that being smart and doing HW is not cool, esp in the inner cities. The schools inability to properly combat bullying! Too many students per teach ratios, because liberal run school districts rather allocate 60% of the school budget to highway robbery teacher pensions (mostly to paying the current retirees) and providing them free health insurance. Get rid of the pension plans, have teachers contribute the same amount to their health insurance that private sector does, get rid of tenure and hire more teachers, once the pupil to teacher ratio goes down, schools will get better.

:dunno: I don't envy them their jobs, for sure. Kids either choose to learn or they choose to be educated. One way or the other, the teachers/professors deserve their salaries and benefits for provoking them to independent thought and providing a safe environment for them to become transformed in. At least, that is, until something is made different about our fucked up educational system. Like, NOT making it a requirement as is. Teaching children to work and be self-sufficient does NOT happen in a school classroom or on college grounds...
I admire great teachers. They do a great service for this country. However, teachers don't need our pitty AT ALL!!! First, the average teacher salary is $52K, with many teachers making in the $90K!!! Second, they pay little to none of for their grade A healthcare. Don't belittle it, that is a gigantic benefit. Third, most don't contribute anything to their pension and walk away with a huge pension plan!

You must have drifted into the wrong thread. It happens to those with reading comprehensions issues.

Maybe you're looking in a mirror. My post talked about education,science(or lack of it) politics of education and money which were all issues raised by the OP.

IT is a flawed system without question... :dunno: It seems we are forever redefining common sense outside of what is being taught vs not taught.

We have all met plenty of highly successful people, both in the acadmeic world and the world at large, who are also extremely IGNORANT about what most of us would imagine are well understood facts that "everybody" knows.

Some of the dumbest (read least well informed) people I know are professionals in highly technical areas where I am a complete ignoramous.

Go get a job outside your field of expertise sometime and just see how much there is to know that you don't have a clue about.

I remember working for PENNDOT when I was young and having to LEARN how to REALLY use a shovel.

People who didn't have the brains GOD GAVE GEESE laughed at my ignorance, and from their POV, they were absolutely right. I WAS an ignoramous

I didn't know doodlesquat about their world.

Realist

That video is from the late 1980s.

It appears this society is dominated by Liberal Arts types and they decide what EDUCATION is. Science is for irrelevant techno-nerds.

But now we are drowning in cheap computers. What are we going to do with this stuff?

If kids read science fiction with good science hoow can they help but assimilate some science.

Coby Kyros 7015
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzWLDn4ABMQ]Coby Kyros 7015 7 Inch Tablet Playing A Movie - YouTube[/ame]

All Day September by Roger Kuykendall
All Day September - Roger Kuykendall | Feedbooks

There Will Be School Tomorrow, by V. E. Thiessen
www.feedbooks.com/userbook/11643.pdf

Eight Keys to Eden by Mark Clifton
Extrapolator - extracts from "Eight Keys to Eden" by Mark Clifton
"Eight Keys to Eden" by Clifton Mark Free Download. The book is added by Todd M. Tysseling (Des Moines, IA United States) Read online books at OnRead.com.

The Fourth R by George O. Smith
"The Fourth R" by Smith George Oliver Free Download. The book is added by David (Idaho) Read online books at OnRead.com.

Valdemort, Kill HARRY POTTER!

psik

That video is from the late 1980s.

It appears this society is dominated by Liberal Arts types and they decide what EDUCATION is. Science is for irrelevant techno-nerds.

But now we are drowning in cheap computers. What are we going to do with this stuff?

If kids read science fiction with good science hoow can they help but assimilate some science.

Coby Kyros 7015
Coby Kyros 7015 7 Inch Tablet Playing A Movie - YouTube

All Day September by Roger Kuykendall
All Day September - Roger Kuykendall | Feedbooks

There Will Be School Tomorrow, by V. E. Thiessen
www.feedbooks.com/userbook/11643.pdf

Eight Keys to Eden by Mark Clifton
Extrapolator - extracts from "Eight Keys to Eden" by Mark Clifton
"Eight Keys to Eden" by Clifton Mark Free Download. The book is added by Todd M. Tysseling (Des Moines, IA United States) Read online books at OnRead.com.

The Fourth R by George O. Smith
"The Fourth R" by Smith George Oliver Free Download. The book is added by David (Idaho) Read online books at OnRead.com.

Valdemort, Kill HARRY POTTER!

psik

So... it's maneuvering manipulations... :eusa_angel: angels angles

It seems that our limits on 'intelligence' only better proves the fact that total independence and self-sustainability (within reason....) are mere illusions. As it was mentioned in another thread about some of the most educated and gifted individuals are lacking in what to some others is supposedly 'common sense'.

Computers and gadgetry don't make a lot of sense to me, but to apply the levels of psyche to such and it helps me to better utilize my computer. :doubt:

Computers and gadgetry don't make a lot of sense to me, but to apply the levels of psyche to such and it helps me to better utilize my computer. :doubt:

It is not computers and gadgetry. It is what is loaded on them and done with them.

Printed books are nothing but technology. Producing paper and ink and manufacturing printing presses.

But some books are not worth the match it would take to burn them. Like Harry Potter, :lol: But I wish someone had given me this one when I was in high school.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9H1StY1nU8]"The Tyranny of Words" - YouTube[/ame]

psik

Finding the Next Einstein
Why smart is relative

How Brainy Is Your Major?

We looked at measures of verbal, spatial, and math ability (labeled as V, S, and M below). The y-axis indicates the specific ability level and the x-axis (along the bottom of the graph) indicates the general ability level of each group. General ability was determined by taking a composite of the verbal, spatial, and math ability scores. The data are represented in z-score or standard deviation units. For example, social science majors were about 0.8 standard deviations above the mean of the entire sample, whereas engineering majors were about 1.3 standard deviations above the mean of the entire sample. This makes sense because people who earn higher educational degrees are usually above average in ability.
How Brainy Is Your Major? | Psychology Today

psik

I really think people are more ignorant than they were.

They read less, their thinking is less disciplined, too.

This system does not reward broadly educated people who make good citizens.

It rewards WONKS who specialize in fields of study that serve techology and the economy.

Hence the Renaissance man, that kind of person who is most likely to be a good leader because he is looking at the bigger picture, is least likely to become a leader in THIS society which is a society focusing its brightest and best minds on the pursuit of making money.

BTW, this is the normal state of affairs that occurs when EMPIRES are on the decline.

Obviously why the marriage between science and mysticism is quite timely and fitting for mainstream to better adjust... *apprehensive*

Forum List

Back