Hatred of unions

All the years that I was a union member none of my money was spent on the political organizing that the unions did. That part is a choice that each member can make.

I have seen union shops where the union was a necessity and I have seen shops where the union was a limitation on the members. I was living in a "union town" where unions controlled the wages. Non-union shops proliferated but they paid similar wages - they just didn't have the same benefits that the union employees had. Prices always rose to the level of the income of the "average" worker so there were higher wages but the costs were also higher.

I think unions are a huge reason prices have climbed so high on everything!

All the years that I was a union member none of my money was spent on the political organizing that the unions did. That part is a choice that each member can make.

I have seen union shops where the union was a necessity and I have seen shops where the union was a limitation on the members. I was living in a "union town" where unions controlled the wages. Non-union shops proliferated but they paid similar wages - they just didn't have the same benefits that the union employees had. Prices always rose to the level of the income of the "average" worker so there were higher wages but the costs were also higher.

under that reasoning, shouldn't prices drop since unions are going away?

But the hatred of unions and government started in right after reagan. Prior to that people didn't rant about unions or government. Reagan started this and hate radio picked up the ball and ran with it.
:cuckoo:

Reagan was a union boss. He was president of the screen actors guild before he became Governor of California IIRC.

Last edited:

How much does long distance cost now versus the 1970s?

How much does long distance cost now versus the 1970s?

You mean because they broke up the monopoly?

or because of technology?

because I know at least some of the baby Bell employees are union.

So the prices dropped right?

What role did the unions play in breaking up the monopoly? Did they help or hurt? Who was President when that happened?

How could they? The prices are already raised....the business would have to lower wages to get prices to go back down, I don't think that's going to happen! Now libs are saying we need to raise the min wage....which would only make less jobs! Businesses will do with less if they have to pay higher wages, or raise their prices again. Makes no sense!!

"With all their faults, trade unions have done more for humanity than any other organization of men that ever existed" Clarence Darrow

Unions stand in the way of power and greed and money talks loud when legislators require lots of it. A few links and comments below.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/50913-american-unions.html#post617599

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-conservatives-in-lansing-14.html#post6481896
'Right to Work' for Less

Many Americans fail to realize we did not arrive at this place in time without a lot of turmoil and change, revolution, civil war, Laissez-faire capitalism, great depression, unions, new deal, civil rights, great society, riots, and on and on. Read this book.

"The rise of conservative politics in postwar America is one of the great puzzles of American political history. For much of the period that followed the end of World War II, conservative ideas about the primacy of the free market, and the dangers of too-powerful labor unions, government regulation, and an activist, interventionist state seemed to have been thoroughly rejected by most intellectual and political elites. Scholars and politicians alike dismissed those who adhered to such faiths as a "radical right," for whom to quote the Columbia University historian Richard Hofstadter politics "becomes an arena into which the wildest fancies are projected, the most paranoid suspicions, the most absurd superstitions, the most bizarre apocalyptic fantasies." How, then, did such ideas move from their marginal position in the middle years of the twentieth century to become the reigning politics of the country by the century's end?" Kim Phillips-Fein ('Invisible Hands')

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Hands-Making-Conservative-Movement/dp/0393059308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247845984&sr=1-1]Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan: Kim Phillips-Fein: 9780393059304: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

The rampant misinformation about unions is being driven by the 1%.

Same as the lies we're seeing bout ObamaCare which was the brainchild of the the Heritage Foundation and the likes of Romney. Obama wanted to improve it, make it work for "everyman" by having a single payer but the 1% fought that and won.

Just as they are now fighting against a livable wage for the working class.

What is so terrible, so heartrending is that its the working class who are cutting their own throats by gutting unions. Just as they agreed to ObamaCare without the single payer.

There will always be fools who will buy into any crap that Madison Avenue or Congress sells them.

I'm sure you'd be able to enlighten us as to what that "misinformation" is.

Forum List

Back