Hate Your Boss? Call the Government

What an evil view you have of the American worker, boedicca. I'm surprised you can abide having any around.

BTW, none of the complaints you think are popular state a cause of action. People call DOL when their employer will not pay them wages they have earned, or are trying to force them to work in dangerous conditions, or have fired them for illegal reasons.

But hey, they should just suck it up, right? You'd certainly lay down for that mistreatment, I bet.

You are wrong. I have a very high opinion of most workers. This program won't appeal to the good ones. The good ones take care of themselves.

This program will attract the bottom feeding whiners.

I see. So your theory is, no good employer has ever been cheated out his wages, fired for an illegal reason, made to work in unsafe conditions or elsewise had a cause of action against his employer. Such things do not ever, ever EVA happen to good people -- only "whiners".

All employers are good and all employees are venial.

Got it. Any more fairy tales you'd like to share with the rest of us?

This proposed program is to employee rights what ObamaCare is to having an appointment with actual doctor.

Just sayin'.

It's not a win win. It's a taxpayers and small businesses lose when the government assists their employees to find shyster lawyers to shake them down.

So, basically your complaint is that we have any labor laws in this country at all? You miss the days of child labor, do ya?

Nope. Just miss the days when we didn't need all this shit to keep the nitwits who exist in a perpetual state of distress placated.

Soggy, were DOL officials crawling up your backside yesterday? If not, try to grasp this -- No New Rights Have Been Created.

Hard as it is to believe, this government decision is not likely to impact you in any way shape or form, unless you sell to law firms.

So, basically your complaint is that we have any labor laws in this country at all? You miss the days of child labor, do ya?

Nope. Just miss the days when we didn't need all this shit to keep the nitwits who exist in a perpetual state of distress placated.

Soggy, were DOL officials crawling up your backside yesterday? If not, try to grasp this -- No New Rights Have Been Created.

Hard as it is to believe, this government decision is not likely to impact you in any way shape or form, unless you sell to law firms.

I don't do business with attorneys... they're notoriously shitty payers. F em.

You are wrong. I have a very high opinion of most workers. This program won't appeal to the good ones. The good ones take care of themselves.

This program will attract the bottom feeding whiners.

I see. So your theory is, no good employer has ever been cheated out his wages, fired for an illegal reason, made to work in unsafe conditions or elsewise had a cause of action against his employer. Such things do not ever, ever EVA happen to good people -- only "whiners".

This proposed program is to employee rights what ObamaCare is to having an appointment with actual doctor.

Just sayin'.

You are making an ass of yourself here, boedicca. May I suggest you pause and reflect?

Or, you could just keep urping up Palinisms and hope eventually you form a coherent thought.

Yesterday was Sunday.. you can barely get Government employees to work Monday - Friday. Sunday? Surely you jest.

Depends on what you're selling, Soggy.

Alas, though in many cases, this is true. Even a big law firm is really just a small business, and they (lawyers, not small businessmen) usually are crappy business people.

Alas, though in many cases, this is true. Even a big law firm is really just a small business, and they (lawyers, not small businessmen) usually are crappy business people.

What I meant is, they're notorious for stiffing vendors.

Just sayin'.

You are making an ass of yourself here, boedicca. May I suggest you pause and reflect?

Or, you could just keep urping up Palinisms and hope eventually you form a coherent thought.

Physician, heal thyself.

Yesterday was Sunday.. you can barely get Government employees to work Monday - Friday. Sunday? Surely you jest.

Yeah, every government office is dark every weekend and there are no self-starters on the government payroll. None at all.

BTW, Soggy, I have had small business clients throughout my career and while they have gotten cross-wise with licensing agencies, EPA, IRS and OSHA, I still have not had even one get sideways with DOL, EEOC, etc. Not one, in 22 years. I'm not saying it never happens but at least IME, it is rare.

I think that's unfair, Soggy. They usually pay eventually but yes, they can be slow. I'm not gonna sit and pretend all lawyers are saints.

Yeah, every government office is dark every weekend and there are no self-starters on the government payroll. None at all.

BTW, Soggy, I have had small business clients throughout my career and while they have gotten cross-wise with licensing agencies, EPA, IRS and OSHA, I still have not had even one get sideways with DOL, EEOC, etc. Not one, in 22 years. I'm not saying it never happens but at least IME, it is rare.

I have public sector clients and private sector clients... world of difference in the caliber of employees at each. WORLD of difference.

All lawyers aren't saints, but we're supposed to trust the government to pick some random one to handle our serious employment issues for us?

Go figure.

I think that's unfair, Soggy. They usually pay eventually but yes, they can be slow. I'm not gonna sit and pretend all lawyers are saints.

My first job out of college was for a consulting firm in Manhattan.. we did a lot of work for attorneys, plaintiff's attorneys where the worst. If they lost the case, you rarely got paid.

As a CPA who does software consulting, I have worked for attorney's. It almost always the same, do the work, they're happy, send them a bill, 2 months go by, no payment, you call, they need to"talk" to me about the bill.

My first job out of college was for a consulting firm in Manhattan.. we did a lot of work for attorneys, plaintiff's attorneys where the worst. If they lost the case, you rarely got paid.

As a CPA who does software consulting, I have worked for attorney's. It almost always the same, do the work, they're happy, send them a bill, 2 months go by, no payment, you call, they need to"talk" to me about the bill.

Lemme tell you a secret I learned the hard way, Soggy. Never deliver the work until you have been paid. Never start the work for a new client or one who has stiffed you before without at least 50% of the fee up front.

People who will not pay you on these terms almost certainly will never pay you at all.

BTW, you are in a wonderful position to barter, services for services. Not just to lawyers, of course. After all, a dollar you save on costs or expenses is just as handy as a dollar of income.

Just a thought.

All lawyers aren't saints, but we're supposed to trust the government to pick some random one to handle our serious employment issues for us?

Go figure.

A referral is not a shotgun wedding, boedicca. You meet the lawyer suggested. You discuss. If you dun get that warm, happy feeling, you get another referral.

What is so confusing to you about this?

I have public sector clients and private sector clients... world of difference in the caliber of employees at each. WORLD of difference.

I wouldn't say "caliber of employee", myself. But the culture is different, yes. Just as it is also different in academia, or the non-profit sector, or Big Corporation land.

Go figure.

A referral is not a shotgun wedding, boedicca. You meet the lawyer suggested. You discuss. If you dun get that warm, happy feeling, you get another referral.

If this is such a great program, why isn't the ABA already providing the match making service and advertising it?

Really.

Why does the government have to provide the toll free # and subsidize the ABA?

Go figure.

If this is such a great program, why isn't the ABA already providing the match making service and advertising it?

Really.

Why does the government have to provide the toll free # and subsidize the ABA?

See, now these are valid questions.

The ABA does provide a referral service now, and always has. Need a patent attorney? Anti-Trust? Etc. They are a good resource, as are state bars. I think they even have toll free numbers.

What is different is, people who were waiting for DOL to handle their disputes are being offered the option to get a private attorney instead, who can get on it right away. It is also different because, in past, the average person could not do this as they had no money to pay the lawyer's fee up front. It was innovation BY THE GOVERNMENT and those SHYSTER LAWYERS that has created what looks to be a way for people to get faster, better service AT ALMOST NO COST TO THE TAXPAYER.

This, my dear woman, is why most CONSERVATIVES argue that many government functions should be privatized. And why I often agree, as I do in this case.

Forum List

Back