Hate the Sin, But Love the Sinner?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Care4all, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,128
    Hate the sin but love the sinner...... Can you really do that....?

It does not appear that way....

So what does that mean?

Jesus Christ COULD do such, and did do such many times in the Bible....giving complete forgiveness, washing away the sinner's sin can be describe no other way than to say He loved us, with heart, body and soul....

But can we humans really humble ourselves enough to do such?

Can we release our own PRIDE and admit that we too are sinners in our own ways and that our sins are "no better" than the sins of the adulteress that Jesus forgave, as example?

Can we LOVE enough to forgive all sins of others?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Depends on the sin...and the sinner, doesn't it?

3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,128
    It's not suppose to matter....it didn't to Christ/God?

I just see all kinds of hateful statements from people that are suppose to be Christians emulating Christ, so i was wondering what the Lord's Prayer really means when it tells us:

Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us....

Is Barney Frank as example, really even "sinning against us"? Has he done something to harm me personally or the others personally?

God forgave David for murdering Basheeba's husband....and there probably is not a physical sin much greater than murder, it seems? Unless we can accept, that sin is sin, then murder is no different than Adultery or fornication, or stealing or even covetting those material things that your neighbor has....?

4. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Unfortunately perhaps, I agree with Editec (not that I have anything against Ed, I should add).

I can recognize things I do wrong, and I generally regret them and say I'm sorry for them.

But as far as forgiveness goes, there are some crimes that I confess I find it very difficult to be forgiving about. I know that's not what JC taught, but I'm human.

Each of us has to hold themselves accountable to their own personal standards, and (Christians believe) be prepared to defend those standards.

5. BrokenAngel

BrokenAngel Do broken wings mend?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hate the sin.. love the sinner is something we all must strive towards. A goal in our existence, to turn the other cheek. That doesn't mean lay down and let sinners and evil roll over you and your family. That means that it is not YOUR place to judge but rather that is to be left to God.

If someone commits mass murder, kills dozens of people you shouldn't be cursing that person's name but rather look towards praying for the souls of those who just passed. Talk to your church and see if you can't get together care baskets to send to the families of those who died and even the family of the killer because they are likely to be in danger in their neighborhood.

Leave judgement and persecution up to God because he gets the final word anyways right? Focus your energies on being a good person because anger and hate are the first steps towards letting sin into your own life.

Don't mean to go all Yoda on ya. ^_^

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    Aren't all sins actually God's fault since He gave us the ability to sin? :eusa_eh: And how much easier for Him to forgive a sinner if he is ultimately responsible.

7. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    That's like saying it's the State's fault if we hit someone while driving because the State provides the licence and the rules.

8. BrokenAngel

BrokenAngel Do broken wings mend?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That would be misplaced blaim since he gave you the ability to choose between right and wrong. He loves you enough to give you the choice and not make you a mindless drone spending every day on your knees praising his name in worship. I think allowing us the choice to be who we want to be deserves a little more respect than copping out and blaiming him for the problems we subsequently bring on ourselves.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

10. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Caffeine Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Might be easier when you combine it with
    Basically doing something wrong (or sinful) is necessarily based upon ignorance on some level. Sure, some "bad" people possess skills and intelligence, but being sociopathic reflects a cognitive deficiency in other areas.

And of course hating somebody is not going to do you or them any good. Jesus obviously didn't want Christians to walk around with their finger pointed at others anyway.