Hate Speech in Quran

I don't think it has anything to do with the teachings of Islam; the Qur'an doesn't comment explicitly on the actual shape of the Earth regardless of what MEMRI or the man in the video may think.

Understood. I can not confirm one way or the other. The man in this video does believe it to be so however.

And he has as much right to his foolish belief as Kalam does to his that the Quran is word for word perfect from the time of Muhammad.

Found any other versions yet?

This is where it gets a bit sticky. When the clerics start up telling the faithful that all non believers or anyone how goes against what they say should be punished.

In 1993, the Muslim world was stunned by the alleged edict by then supreme religious authority of the Islamic University of Medina, in Saudi Arabia. On page 23 of his infamous book, “Evidence that the Earth is Standing Still”, Shaykh ‘Abdul-’Azeez ibn ‘Abdullaah ibn Baaz declared, “The earth is flat, and anyone who disputes this claim is an atheist who deserves to be punished.”

The following text from the Qur’aan and Ahaadeeth below is evidence that Islaam advocates a view of the Earth as being flat.

Translation of the Qur’aanic verse 013:003:
“And it is He Who spread out the earth, and placed therein firm mountains and rivers and of every kind of fruits He made Zawjain Ithnain (two in pairs – may mean two kinds or it may mean: of two sorts, e.g. black and white, sweet and sour, small and big, etc.) He brings the night as a cover over the day. Verily, in these things, there are Ayat (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, etc.) for people who reflect.” [Translation courtesy of Muhammad Muhsin Khan and Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din al Hilali]

Translation of the Qur’aanic verse 015:019:
“And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.” [Translation courtesy of Abdullah Yusuf Ali]

It would seem there are differing views of interpretation revolving around the literal idea of the world spread out like a carpet or bed.

see more verses here

A Flat Earth: The Islamic Perspective K H A L A S !

This is where it gets a bit sticky. When the clerics start up telling the faithful that all non believers or anyone how goes against what they say should be punished.

In 1993, the Muslim world was stunned by the alleged edict by then supreme religious authority of the Islamic University of Medina, in Saudi Arabia. On page 23 of his infamous book, “Evidence that the Earth is Standing Still”, Shaykh ‘Abdul-’Azeez ibn ‘Abdullaah ibn Baaz declared, “The earth is flat, and anyone who disputes this claim is an atheist who deserves to be punished.”

The following text from the Qur’aan and Ahaadeeth below is evidence that Islaam advocates a view of the Earth as being flat.

Translation of the Qur’aanic verse 013:003:
“And it is He Who spread out the earth, and placed therein firm mountains and rivers and of every kind of fruits He made Zawjain Ithnain (two in pairs – may mean two kinds or it may mean: of two sorts, e.g. black and white, sweet and sour, small and big, etc.) He brings the night as a cover over the day. Verily, in these things, there are Ayat (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, etc.) for people who reflect.” [Translation courtesy of Muhammad Muhsin Khan and Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din al Hilali]

Translation of the Qur’aanic verse 015:019:
“And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.” [Translation courtesy of Abdullah Yusuf Ali]

It would seem there are differing views of interpretation revolving around the literal idea of the world spread out like a carpet or bed.

see more verses here

A Flat Earth: The Islamic Perspective K H A L A S !

I almost mentioned this controversy in my last response to you.

The fatwa you found was fabricated. Here is the only fatwa issued by Shaykh ibn Baz that addresses the flat earth issue:

Is the Earth round or flat?

Question: The following letter reached the program (broadcast program) from Kenya, sent by our brother, the student, Ibraheem Muhammad Al-Awwal. The brother says, "I heard the program Nurun 'alad-Darb (A Light upon the Path) and I benefited greatly from it. Therefore, I wanted to send these questions to you all because their topics are very perplexing to me. The first is: Is the earth round or flat?"

Response: According to the people knowledge (scholars of Islaam) the earth is round, for indeed Ibn Hazm and a group of other scholars mentioned that there is a consensus (unanimous agreement, Ijmaa') among the people of knowledge that it is round. This means that all of it is connected together thus making the form of the entire planet like a ball. However, Allaah has spread out surface for us and He has placed firm mountains upon it and placed the animals and the seas upon it as a mercy for us. For this reason, Allaah said:

{And (do they not look) at the Earth, how it was made FLAT (Sutihat)}, [Soorah al-Ghaashiyyah, Aayah 20]

Therefore, it (the Earth) has been made flat for us in regards to its surface, so that people can live on it and so that people can be comfortable upon it. The fact that it is round does not prevent that its surface has been made flat. This is because something that is round and very large, if it is made flat (its surface), then its surface will become very vast or broad (i.e. having a flat appearance). Yes."

Shaykh Ibn Baaz

MISCELLANEOUS \ Miscellaneous \ Is the Earth round or flat?

This was transcribed from a broadcast in Arabic - excuse the translator's poor grammar. His translation of sutihat in the Qur'anic verse is also problematic. Sutihat is the perfect passive form of the s-t-h trilateral, which means "to spread," "to spread out or forth," or "to expand." (Lane's Arabic-English Lexicon, vol. 4, p. 1357)

While I'm certainly no fan of state-appointed "scholars", they aren't so foolish that they deny readily observable scientific facts. The quote you provided came from the blog of an apostate. Dig a little bit deeper and you'll find a multitude of similar attempts to make Islam appear backward through the use of lies and propaganda.

...though most do reject evolution, just like most Christians do.

Perhaps, but some diversity of opinion exists.

Bridging the Gap Between Evolution and Faith - IslamOnline.net - Health & Science

It's also important to consider the history of the theory of evolution by natural selection:

"Animals engage in a struggle for existence; for resources, to avoid being eaten and to breed. Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to offspring." - Al-Jahiz, Kitab al-Hayawan, 9th century CE​

Incidentally, Al-Jahiz was also the first to write about food chains.

While I'm certainly no fan of state-appointed "scholars", they aren't so foolish that they deny readily observable scientific facts. The quote you provided came from the blog of an apostate. Dig a little bit deeper and you'll find a multitude of similar attempts to make Islam appear backward through the use of lies and propaganda.

That may be, but many truths about islam are not lies or propaganda. Islamic views about women are just one of them. To be quite honest I believe many islamic ideas to be incredibly backwards. Any modern day religion that can put out death warrants on people for "insulting" their "god" is barbaric.

Perhaps, but some diversity of opinion exists.

Bridging the Gap Between Evolution and Faith - IslamOnline.net - Health & Science

It's also important to consider the history of the theory of evolution by natural selection:
"Animals engage in a struggle for existence; for resources, to avoid being eaten and to breed. Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to offspring." - Al-Jahiz, Kitab al-Hayawan, 9th century CE​
Incidentally, Al-Jahiz was also the first to write about food chains.

I understand that. People are incredibly willing to believe something just because they were told it by someone, and I believe that Christians are as bad, or worse, as Muslims in this.

Thanks for the tidbit about Al-Jahiz, I hadn't heard of him before. I tend to look at astronomy and physics when I study about ancient scientists. I often miss interesting things like this.

Muslims want to take over the world and impose sharia law on everyone, or else they'll kill you. Nice, peaceful bunch of lunatics.

New Topics

Forum List

Back