Hate Crimes in NY Up 14%

All violent crimes involve hatred.

No. If someone pushes me over and steals my pockebook, that isn't a hate crime.

If someone beats me black and blue because i am walking into a synagogue, that is a hat crime. See the difference.

We prosecute crimes differently all the time... based on who the victim is. And, frankly, I've never understood how some think that if you beat someone because they're gay or black or jewish or muslim that that's just the same as if you beat up someone who hit on your girlfriend at a bar.

I'll also point out that there aren't generally packs of people beating up guys in bars for hitting on their girlfriends. There are, however, groups that do go out to victimize others because of their own insane hatred.

I find it interesting how you differentiate your examples. For the non-hate crime, you are pushed over and robbed. In the hate crime, you are beaten black and blue.

What if someone beats you black and blue and steals your pocketbook? Should that person receive a lesser sentence because they don't hate you?

What if someone beats you black and blue for no discernible reason?

The whole concept of greater sentences for hate crimes seems to me to somewhat trivialize the suffering of those who are victims of crimes not designated hate crimes. Of course, I also think people should be free to hate whomever they please. If they act on that hatred and do something illegal, we already have laws in place to deal with that. Hate crime legislation appears to me to be just another political ploy to appear 'tough on crime' or something similar.

Of course, I also think people should be free to hate whomever they please.

FINALLY!! A person who is HONEST about their reason for being opposed to hate crime legislation. I salute you, sir!

Hell yes! If we hate those black bastards or those fags, we should be able to beat the shit out of them for what they are and, damn it, we shouldn't have to be punished one iota more for it than if we did it for some reason other than pure bigotry.

Life is good, isn't it?

Not the kind of hatred involved in a true, hate crime - which is the entire point of hate crime legislation.

Depends how you want to redefine hatred.

It's really all you need to know about conservatives - their constant objection to criminalizing hatred.

Well said. In spite of the spin they attempt to put on their arguments in opposition to hate crime legislation, there is really only one reason for it - they are in favor of hate crimes. And why is that? Because they are racial bigots themselves.

Today's racism - support programs that put minorities down or hinder their progress and oppose programs (such as hate crime legislation) that help them.

Show me someone who is opposed to hate crime legislation, and I will show you a bigot.

FINALLY!! A person who is HONEST about their reason for being opposed to hate crime legislation. I salute you, sir!

Hell yes! If we hate those black bastards or those fags, we should be able to beat the shit out of them for what they are and, damn it, we shouldn't have to be punished one iota more for it than if we did it for some reason other than pure bigotry.

Life is good, isn't it?
that aint what he said
and you know that, at least you should if you could actually be honest

Depends how you want to redefine hatred.

It's really all you need to know about conservatives - their constant objection to criminalizing hatred.

Well said. In spite of the spin they attempt to put on their arguments in opposition to hate crime legislation, there is really only one reason for it - they are in favor of hate crimes. And why is that? Because they are racial bigots themselves.

Today's racism - support programs that put minorities down or hinder their progress and oppose programs (such as hate crime legislation) that help them.

Show me someone who is opposed to hate crime legislation, and I will show you a bigot.
wow, more utter bullshit
keep it up and a farmer could fertilize their crop with your posts

wow, more utter bullshit

The King of ad hominem strikes again. Tell me something - do you ever address a point directly, with honest argument? Ever? Because I never see you do it.

Tell me how someone who is opposed to hate crime legislation (which is designed to protect minorities from persecution) is out to help minorities.

Life is good, isn't it?
that aint what he said
and you know that, at least you should if you could actually be honest

That is precisely what he said. And please do not accuse me of being dishonest.

hate crimes are a myth. a crime is a crime, no matter the motivation.

Typical liberal idiocy.

They are not a myth, I assure you. I get one or two a month. They are all the same: some lout attacks a gay person or a black person, screaming racial or sexual orientation insults as he does so. The most recent one was two guys who knocked a gay guy down in an alley and then kicked him in the head three or four times, all the time calling him a "fag" and telling him to "get the hell out of the neighborhood, you fucking fag."

I don't find it very hard to see that guys who do something like this are a bit more culpable, a bit more evil, than guys who beat up on someone because they are drunk and looking for trouble or because the victim insulted their girlfriend, etc.

If you don't see that, then there is little I can say to you. But, believe me, hate crimes are all too real.

wow, more utter bullshit

The King of ad hominem strikes again. Tell me something - do you ever address a point directly, with honest argument? Ever? Because I never see you do it.

Tell me how someone who is opposed to hate crime legislation (which is designed to protect minorities from persecution) is out to help minorities.
sorry smurfman, your bullshit stinks

wow, more utter bullshit

I didn't think so. Kind of hard to defend racism, ins't it?

I didn't think so. Kind of hard to defend racism, ins't it?
not when assholes like you keep redefining it

Life is good, isn't it?

I believe in one race: the human race.

I believe those who which to legislate and enact laws based on race to be the true racists and the true problem makers, for if people instead of fighting for greater divide in what they define as race, they instead fought for equality, they would help more.

This is the basis for my conclusion that those like yourself, are race baiters that do not want equality, but instead superiority, which I can not approve of.

Last edited:

Typical liberal idiocy.

They are not a myth, I assure you. I get one or two a month. They are all the same: some lout attacks a gay person or a black person, screaming racial or sexual orientation insults as he does so. The most recent one was two guys who knocked a gay guy down in an alley and then kicked him in the head three or four times, all the time calling him a "fag" and telling him to "get the hell out of the neighborhood, you fucking fag."

I don't find it very hard to see that guys who do something like this are a bit more culpable, a bit more evil, than guys who beat up on someone because they are drunk and looking for trouble or because the victim insulted their girlfriend, etc.

If you don't see that, then there is little I can say to you. But, believe me, hate crimes are all too real.

your examples are crimes with or without your subjective term "hate", therefore that prefix is pointless. a crime is a crime is a crime.

Your examples are crimes with or without your subjective term "hate", therefore that prefix is pointless. a crime is a crime is a crime.

Totally wrong. Some crimes are considered more culpable (that means worse) than others and, as such, are punished more harshly. A murder committed with premeditation, is considered worse than a murder committed without premeditation. The former involves a much harsher punishment than the latter.

So it is with hate crimes. Crimes committed against minorities based in whole or in part on racial prejudice or other, bigoted reasons, are considered more culpable than those same crimes committed without such motivation. As such, they should bear a harsher punishment.

You may disagree with that, but it happens to be the law. And it's a good law.

I actually found the numbers remarkably low for a state as big as NY. Eleven anti-Muslim crimes? If you check out CAIR and other pro-Sharia websites, you'd think the GZ mosque controversy has caused a major national security issue. Ironic, ain't it?

Precisely my thoughts.

For example:

a 200% rise in Lesbian hate crimes!!!.....(8 in '08 and 25 in '09) certainly is written to SOUND like there is some sort of Anti-Lesbian epidemic, but the actual difference of "hate crimes" reported between one year and the next is 17.

17 more doesn't make it an epidemic in a state with a population of 19 million.

While hate crimes may not be a myth, this sort of alarmist blithering does nothing to support its credability.

Last edited:

Life is good, isn't it?

Obviously I said nothing like this. In fact, I pointed out that there are already laws against such actions as you describe. You, however, have decided you know my motivations for opposing such legislation despite what I've posted and despite the fact you don't know me at all, because you have decided you know the motivations of all people opposed to your point of view. Against hate crime legislation = bigot.

Sorry, but that is ridiculous. Also ridiculous is the idea that legislation can prevent hatred. Until we are able to read people's thoughts, there is no way to even attempt to prevent hatred. That is my point. Anyone can hate anyone else. Thoughts are not crimes, but actions are. There seem to be plenty of people on this board who hate members of the 'other' party, should they all be prosecuted? I wonder, are crimes perpetrated because of hatred of someone's political affiliation even considered hate crimes?

I understand that different circumstances can affect sentencing, and perhaps bigotry should at times be taken into account. I don't think it automatically requires a harsher sentence, however. And it still seems to me that making it so is a bit of a slap in the face to the victims of crimes which may be of the exact same nature but, because they do not fall under the auspices of a hate crime, provide lesser sentences to the perpetrator(s).

Finally, going back to my previous point about our inability to know the thoughts of anyone with any reliability, even with hate crime legislation it is more than possible for hate crimes to be committed without being prosecuted as such. If someone beats up a gay man, but does not yell out 'faggot' or 'queer' while doing it; if someone beats up an Hispanic but does not yell out 'wetback' or 'illegals go home' while doing it; if any number of crimes are committed for reasons of bigotry but that bigotry isn't an obvious cause, then would those crimes not receive the lesser sentences of 'normal' crimes? At best hate crime legislation seems like an inefficient and almost arbitrary way to punish people.

I am opposed to racial, gender-, age- or sexual-orientation-based bigotry. I think they are foolish and generally a sign of ignorance. I simply think that I am just as hurt if I'm beat up because of how I'm dressed as if I'm beat up because of my skin color, and would want equal punishment for whoever did it either way.

The problem with people like George is if One person is more privileged or lucky than someone who isn't they tend to want to bring the lucky person down to create equality INSTEAD of wanting to bring the unfortunate UP, thereby making both sides happy.

It is a sick, and twisted left wing look at life, and is a major problem for this country...and others.

All violent crimes involve hatred.

No. If someone pushes me over and steals my pockebook, that isn't a hate crime.

If someone beats me black and blue because i am walking into a synagogue, that is a hat crime. See the difference.

We prosecute crimes differently all the time... based on who the victim is. And, frankly, I've never understood how some think that if you beat someone because they're gay or black or jewish or muslim that that's just the same as if you beat up someone who hit on your girlfriend at a bar.

I'll also point out that there aren't generally packs of people beating up guys in bars for hitting on their girlfriends. There are, however, groups that do go out to victimize others because of their own insane hatred.
if someone robs you, they sure as hell were NOT showing LOVE to you

Hate is not normally the motive in a robbery.

Typical liberal idiocy.

So in your world someone who beats up a guy because the guy molested that someone's child is no different in any way whatsoever from someone who beats up a guy because he's a Jew.

brilliant.

New Topics

Forum List

Back