Hate crimes against "the homeless"

Bill adds homeless to list of hate crimes

"Albuquerque, will introduce a bill next month to add homeless people to the state Hate Crimes Act. The proposed law means those who attack homeless people would be subject to harsher sentences if caught and convicted. "This sends a message to the general public - people need to have dignity," O'Neill said in an interview. "If we're going to talk about hate crimes, let's talk about the homeless."

:eusa_eh:

Let's add Republicans to that list. The GOP is the most hated group of people on earth right now.

Bill adds homeless to list of hate crimes

"Albuquerque, will introduce a bill next month to add homeless people to the state Hate Crimes Act. The proposed law means those who attack homeless people would be subject to harsher sentences if caught and convicted. "This sends a message to the general public - people need to have dignity," O'Neill said in an interview. "If we're going to talk about hate crimes, let's talk about the homeless."

:eusa_eh:

Let's add Republicans to that list. The GOP is the most hated group of people on earth right now.

^^^drama llama

And many of the homeless are wandering the streets because they suffer from mental illness and institutions have lost favor over the last 50 years, often with just cause.

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~raphael/raphael2000.pdf

Community Mental Health Act circa JFK 1960s also changed the world for the mentally ill.

President Bill Clinton signed the Mental Health Parity Act of 1996

Sometimes these acts of compassion and good intentions can't solve each and every potential problem. Prisons have in some ways become the de facto 'institution' for some mentally ill.

Maybe we could give the homeless a decent education.

Why not have a program where PC liberals can sign up to "house" a homeless person? Gets the homeless off the street and in a "safe" environment, and it gives a liberal an opportunity to use their own resources to feel good about themselves

I'm not a liberal, but I've already taken in 3 homeless men. One for 3 years, one for 6 months and another for 2 and a 1/2 years. We're too old to do it again. It's someone else's turn. How about you?

Why not have a program where PC liberals can sign up to "house" a homeless person? Gets the homeless off the street and in a "safe" environment, and it gives a liberal an opportunity to use their own resources to feel good about themselves

I'm not a liberal, but I've already taken in 3 homeless men. One for 3 years, one for 6 months and another for 2 and a 1/2 years. We're too old to do it again. It's someone else's turn. How about you?

That must be why they call you AgainShiela.

Leftist charity is stealing from your neighbor to give to the more deserving. No leftist would EVER use their own resources....

I am curious as to how many people who talk about homeless people actually know one in their own family or circle of friends or have worked with them.

What the media portrays and what is the truth about the complexities of who is out on the streets and why are not always one in the same.

I give out lunches to the homeless every Monday. One of them kind of scares me but most of them I consider friends. I had a friend drive me to the church one day and he didn't want to leave me because one of the homeless was hanging outside. I said, "Don't worry, that's just Rick, he'll protect me." My friend stayed anyway, but I was safe with Rick.

I remember one day I was in the kitchen and there were bugs coming up like a volcano out of a hole by the window, I screamed and Frankie, one of our regulars, came running to my aid, not knowing what he would find, but fully prepared to protect me. These people are not scum, they are people who've fallen on hard times and some of them I would trust with my life.

And many of the homeless are wandering the streets because they suffer from mental illness and institutions have lost favor over the last 50 years, often with just cause.

Community Mental Health Act circa JFK 1960s also changed the world for the mentally ill.

Sometimes these acts of compassion and good intentions can't solve each and every potential problem. Prisons have in some ways become the de facto 'institution' for some mentally ill.

Ah, yes...the law of unintended consequences. In the rush to prove how good and kind we are, we often fail to fully calculate the full consequences of our actions.

Nope. I got burned big time by taking in a homeless kid. Bastard stole some pretty important things from me.

But a white family that ends up in the hispanic or black ghetto in LA and they get robbed or killed....that isn't a hate crime.

A white family made the mistake of driving down the wrong street after a LA Dodgers game and a hispanic gang didn't like them driving through their turf....so they shot up the car and killed at least the driver from what I recall.

Avenida Del Muerto.

I remember that.

I am curious as to how many people who talk about homeless people actually know one in their own family or circle of friends or have worked with them.

What the media portrays and what is the truth about the complexities of who is out on the streets and why are not always one in the same.

I give out lunches to the homeless every Monday. One of them kind of scares me but most of them I consider friends. I had a friend drive me to the church one day and he didn't want to leave me because one of the homeless was hanging outside. I said, "Don't worry, that's just Rick, he'll protect me." My friend stayed anyway, but I was safe with Rick.

I remember one day I was in the kitchen and there were bugs coming up like a volcano out of a hole by the window, I screamed and Frankie, one of our regulars, came running to my aid, not knowing what he would find, but fully prepared to protect me. These people are not scum, they are people who've fallen on hard times and some of them I would trust with my life.

Regardless, it still does not mean that they require an additional PC designation. Crime is crime. We already have mechanisms in place to address degrees of crime.

Nope. I got burned big time by taking in a homeless kid. Bastard stole some pretty important things from me.

The last guy stole some pretty important stuff from us..I would however, never blame anybody else for his crimes. He's got problems that are deeper than being homeless. I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs.

The last guy stole some pretty important stuff from us..I would however, never blame anybody else for his crimes. He's got problems that are deeper than being homeless. I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs.

While one is not indicative of the rest, I can't afford to fund their trips to the pawn shop. This little shit took things of great sentimental value to me, as well as some of fair monetary value.
I help by contributing to the local food pantries, mostly. I am not at leisure to contribute time because I am still working 2 full-time and one part-time job.

Frankie sounds like a sweet man Sheila as does Rick. God Bless you for your time and kindness. You know them and therefore they are more than labels or media caricatures.

The best way to understand homeless people is to pretty much try to understand the scope of human kind in general. They, like us with "homes" come in all flavors with all the complexities that the human condition can bring into any one of our lives. There are good and not so good behaving and all that falls in between in the group we call homeless. They all have stories.

On topic with this thread, I fume when I see any person in a weakened state of body or mind attacked because of that weakness. That said I am still reluctant to see the group we label homeless, which is often a fluid state of being, declared eligible for hate crime protection. I don't believe in separate laws for Americans.

Ah, yes...the law of unintended consequences. In the rush to prove how good and kind we are, we often fail to fully calculate the full consequences of our actions.

We sometimes act with good intentions but do not have the ability to play out the consequences.

Could institutions be made better and safer versus throwing the mentally ill to the streets with nothing but outpatient services for them to navigate all while living with mental illness. Not easy.

We sometimes act with good intentions but do not have the ability to play out the consequences.

Could institutions be made better and safer versus throwing the mentally ill to the streets with nothing but outpatient services for them to navigate all while living with mental illness. Not easy.

When it comes to legislation, I think that the pols actively ignore any possible consequences that might be cited to prevent the passage of said legislation. It's all about right here, right now, and damn the consequences down the road...

While the odds of taking a dangerous sociopath into one's home are minimal the potential for doing so is sufficiently menacing as to declare it a very bad idea to be recklessly charitable. Some sociopaths are exceptionally clever and so innately deceptive they are able to gracefully and totally deceive the most proficient polygraph examiner.

Be kind -- but by all means be careful.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back