Hate Crime

The topic came up on another thread. Some people are opposed to there being a special category for bias motivated crimes.

I support hate crime legislation. What are your views?

My view is this:

If you and I go shopping and some idiot shoots us 'cause you're gay, I don't think he should do more time for your murder than mine. I don't think my life is worth less than yours.

On the other hand, if he shoots us 'cause I'm a middle-aged white woman, I don't think your life is worth less than mine either...

You don't get it. Our lives are equally important. If you're being shot for being white, then you are the victim of a hate crime. If the intent was to share all the white women in the neighborhood, that's an example of why the punishment should be more severe. All white women have now been terrorized.

You're right, I don't get it. I don't get how we can give someone a more severe punishment for their "thoughts" at the time.

My view is this:

If you and I go shopping and some idiot shoots us 'cause you're gay, I don't think he should do more time for your murder than mine. I don't think my life is worth less than yours.

On the other hand, if he shoots us 'cause I'm a middle-aged white woman, I don't think your life is worth less than mine either...

You don't get it. Our lives are equally important. If you're being shot for being white, then you are the victim of a hate crime. If the intent was to share all the white women in the neighborhood, that's an example of why the punishment should be more severe. All white women have now been terrorized.

You're right, I don't get it. I don't get how we can give someone a more severe punishment for their "thoughts" at the time.

Motivation is considered in sentencing. Motive is thought. I know NONE of you will EVER get it because you don't have to. You're not a minority.

The topic of hate crime law totally smokes out hidden bias. Without hate crime law, people won't report the crime.

WTH?

You think I am going to stand there and watch someone get beat half to death and not going to at the very least call the cops because there are no hate crimes laws in effect? I realize I am only working on an hours worth of sleep but makes zero sense.

It's the VICTIMS who won't report the crime.

The topic came up on another thread. Some people are opposed to there being a special category for bias motivated crimes.

I support hate crime legislation. What are your views?

My view is this:

That is obviously not something either you or your friends actually believe. You think you are better than everyone else and deserve special treatment because you happen to be part of a minority. Quite frankly, I find that very disturbing.

Immie

No one is answering the question. Do you KNOW ANY victims of hate crime? I know many.

Your statement about punishment severity just backed up what Againsheila just said; putting an increased value on one life over another. If, as a male, I am killed by a stray bullet meant for a group of white ladies, are you seriously advocating that the murderer be given more severe punishment for killing one of them than me?

If terrorism is the intent, then charge the criminal with terrorism, but don't determine how long a sentence they receive by saying one person's life is more valuable than another's.

My view is this:

That is obviously not something either you or your friends actually believe. You think you are better than everyone else and deserve special treatment because you happen to be part of a minority. Quite frankly, I find that very disturbing.

Immie

Your ignorance of hate crime is appalling. I repeat: Do you know ANY victims of hate crime? I suspect NONE of you do. I know many.

The topic of hate crime law totally smokes out hidden bias. Without hate crime law, people won't report the crime.

WTH?

You think I am going to stand there and watch someone get beat half to death and not going to at the very least call the cops because there are no hate crimes laws in effect? I realize I am only working on an hours worth of sleep but makes zero sense.

It's the VICTIMS who won't report the crime.

The victim or a severe beating or a rape or another crime is not going to go to the police simply because there are no hate crime laws? That even sounds more preposterous than what I thought you meant the first time.

Immie

No one is answering the question. Do you KNOW ANY victims of hate crime? I know many.

You mean have I or anyone I know been subjected to prejudice and discrimination? Yes. Have I been beat up or attacked for it? No. If I was, I'd expect the person who did it be charged with assault.

Immie

Your ignorance of hate crime is appalling. I repeat: Do you know ANY victims of hate crime? I suspect NONE of you do. I know many.

BFD! Whether or not I know someone who has been a victim of a hate crime. Whether or not the victim is me or my friend makes no difference whatsoever. Your life is no more important than mine despite what you obviously believe.

Immie

Motivation is considered in sentencing. Motive is thought. I know NONE of you will EVER get it because you don't have to. You're not a minority.

It was a black mob attacking whites at the WI state fair.

The black man had the right to vote before the white woman.

When I was in highschool they wouldn't even take my application for "usher" at the local theater because I was female. We couldn't play basketball with other schools because we were girls. I couldn't take shop in jr high but the boys could take home ec.

I ended up leaving "drafting" class in highschool because the teacher felt that girls shouldn't take drafting.

Right now, there are people I've known all my life who won't visit me in my own home because of my son Andrew being low functioning autism.

Don't tell me I don't get hate or prejudice. Maybe you're the one who doesn't "get" it. If someone murders me, I want them doing the same amount of time as if they murder you, and visa versa.

In this city right now, European whites ARE a minority. Only 30% of our population. 60% white if you include the recent immigrants from Russia and the Ukraine. 30%, only 30% of us are multi generational white Americans.

I believe that makes us a minority, doesn't it?

If a twin kills his twin because he hated being a twin, hate crime?

Hate crime laws are for those who love being victims. The govt pats them on the head and tells them its okay. They love the attention they get from being victims or crying victim at every turn. They are also the people less likely to take responsibility for their own actions and look to someone else to blame it on and make it right for them.

Immie

BFD! Whether or not I know someone who has been a victim of a hate crime. Whether or not the victim is me or my friend makes no difference whatsoever. Your life is no more important than mine despite what you obviously believe.

Immie

Immie--

I get it that you don't understand the point of hate crime law. I do. I will NEVER be able to convince you to come over to my way of thinking. My life certainly is NOT more important than yours. That is NOT what I'm saying.

I'm saying that if I am targeted for a crime of violence based on being a lesbian, OTHER gay and lesbian people are affected by the crime. It's a form of terrorism.

It makes a difference if you've had any experience with hate crime because you see how profoundly affected the targeted community is by the crime.

FYI, it takes TWICE as long to get over a biased crime than it does the same crime NOT motivated by bias.

I will not continue to try and convince any of you. You're minds are made up. They are closed regarding this subject.

sky

You mean have I or anyone I know been subjected to prejudice and discrimination? Yes. Have I been beat up or attacked for it? No. If I was, I'd expect the person who did it be charged with assault.

Truth is, that before hate crime legislation, most hate crimes were not reported. I was a victim of a hate crime. I reported the assault, but I didn't report the bias motivation for the crime. Even with hate crime law in effect, proving the bias isn't easy. I was afraid of retaliation, and of losing my job.

My Buddhist Center was graced with a burning cross. A burning cross is not simple arson. It is designed to send a message to a group of people that YOUR KIND are not wanted in our community.

Mississippi authorities upgraded a charge to capital murder for a white teenager accused of intentionally running over a black man with a pickup truck. The young man bragged that he "just ran that ****** over."

In Patchogue, New York, Marcelo Lucero, a 37-year-old Ecuadorian immigrant, was stabbed to death when he was attacked by a gang of white teens who decided to hunt down and attack Latinos for sport -- or as they called it, "beaner hopping."

J. Richard CohenIn Huntington Beach, California, three men and a woman with white supremacist tattoos went into a predominantly Latino neighborhood on July 3, 2009, looking for a "nonwhite" to hurt. They attacked a Latino man in an alley. Yelling racial slurs, they reportedly stabbed him three times.

In West Allis, Wisconsin, the opening night of the state fair this month turned to mayhem when dozens of black youths began attacking white people.

We do not live in a post-racial society. Hate crime law is necessary. That's my opinion.

Last edited:

Truth is, that before hate crime legislation, most hate crimes were not reported. I was a victim of a hate crime. I reported the assault, but I didn't report the bias motivation for the crime. Even with hate crime law in effect, proving the bias isn't easy. I was afraid of retaliation, and of losing my job.

My Buddhist Center was graced with a burning cross. A burning cross is not simple arson. It is designed to send a message to a group of people that YOUR KIND are not wanted in our community.

And since you did not report the bias in the attack the person would still be charged for the crime they commited.

And since you did not report the bias in the attack the person would still be charged for the crime they commited.

You might feel the bias motivation makes no difference, or even that the assault was deserved. It wasn't one isolated incident either.

A Jewish synagogue was vandalized by four Arab- American males in the Bronx, New York. Not a simple vandalism, the crime was intended to intimidate the Jewish community.

Church burning is not simple arson, it is intended to make the entire congregation afraid.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back