Hate and Nuts in America

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Why are so many Americans batshit crazy? Today more than ever? Recently I saw a coming attraction for a show about Americans preparing for Armageddon, survivalists and other nutcases who think the end is near. Remember the Pastor who preached the end was upon us and then it was behind us. So what can we make of the hate groups and militia groups forming all the time? What can this fear and blind stupidity be attributed to? Is our education system so bad that reasoned thought has become obsolete? Is the influence of the oddball religious so strong that any nonsense attracts followers? Are all these nuts home-schooled by other nuts? Is radical rightwing media the cause? And then consider all the conspiracy crazies? How much of this growth in craziness can be attributed to the changing demographics and the 2008 presidential election?

"The swelling of the Patriot movement since that time has been astounding. From 149 groups in 2008, the number of Patriot organizations skyrocketed to 512 in 2009, shot up again in 2010 to 824, and then, last year, jumped to 1,274. That works out to a staggering 755% growth in the three years ending last Dec. 31. Last year’s total was more than 400 groups higher than the prior all-time high, in 1996.

Meanwhile, the SPLC counted 1,018 hate groups operating in the United States last year, up from 1,002 in 2010. That was the latest in a string of annual increases going all the way back to 2000, when there were 602 hate groups. The long-running rise seemed for most of that time to be a product of hate groups’ very successful exploitation of the issue of non-white immigration. Obama’s election and the crashing economy have played a key role in the last three years." Report documents explosive growth of hate groups in America | San Diego Gay and Lesbian News

Number of Hate Groups Up 5 Percent From Last Year | Southern Poverty Law Center

Mark Potok discusses the causes for the growth of hate groups in America - Countdown with Keith Olbermann // Current TV

Number of Antigay Hate Groups Rises 60 Percent | News | The Advocate

Why are so many Americans batshit crazy? Today more than ever? Recently I saw a coming attraction for a show about Americans preparing for Armageddon, survivalists and other nutcases who think the end is near. Remember the Pastor who preached the end was upon us and then it was behind us. So what can we make of the hate groups and militia groups forming all the time? What can this fear and blind stupidity be attributed to? Is our education system so bad that reasoned thought has become obsolete? Is the influence of the oddball religious so strong that any nonsense attracts followers? Are all these nuts home-schooled by other nuts? Is radical rightwing media the cause? And then consider all the conspiracy crazies? How much of this growth in craziness can be attributed to the changing demographics and the 2008 presidential election?

"The swelling of the Patriot movement since that time has been astounding. From 149 groups in 2008, the number of Patriot organizations skyrocketed to 512 in 2009, shot up again in 2010 to 824, and then, last year, jumped to 1,274. That works out to a staggering 755% growth in the three years ending last Dec. 31. Last year’s total was more than 400 groups higher than the prior all-time high, in 1996.

Meanwhile, the SPLC counted 1,018 hate groups operating in the United States last year, up from 1,002 in 2010. That was the latest in a string of annual increases going all the way back to 2000, when there were 602 hate groups. The long-running rise seemed for most of that time to be a product of hate groups’ very successful exploitation of the issue of non-white immigration. Obama’s election and the crashing economy have played a key role in the last three years." Report documents explosive growth of hate groups in America | San Diego Gay and Lesbian News

Mark Potok discusses the causes for the growth of hate groups in America - Countdown with Keith Olbermann // Current TV

WHY I do not know; still, I see it despite thinking it was JUST CHANCE.

Yes being prepared and self sufficient is crazy.

Why on earth would you want to be prepared and self sufficient when the government can take care of you?

The swelling number of gun totin' god fearin' fundamentalist, neoliberalist, libertarianist, marxist, neonazist, 99er, neocon, yogurt eater sandal wearers doesn't worry me

it;s who can politically manipulate them

~S~

The primary drawback to quoting the Southern Poverty Law Center is while they do list the obvious and proven hate groups, many of the others that are listed are only considered hate groups based on the SPLCs biased, subjective outlook, not on any real proven objective fact. So their claim that hate groups are increasing is dubious at best, based exclusively on objective evidence.
Oops.

Last edited:

Maybe the Democrats should stop ramming their beliefs down the rest of America's throats? Just an idea.

Lies in the news media.

stations like fox misleading segments of the public.

They seek to divide the public so they can mute the power of the people.

The primary drawback to quoting the Southern Poverty Law Center is while they do list the obvious and proven hate groups, many of the others that are listed are only considered hate groups based on the SPLCs biased, subjective outlook, not on any real proven objective fact. So their claim that hate groups are increasing is dubious at best, based exclusively on objective evidence.
Oops.

:clap2:

Yes being prepared and self sufficient is crazy.

Why on earth would you want to be prepared and self sufficient when the government can take care of you?

There is nothing wrong with planning and preparation. The question that has to be asked is, on a scale of 1 to 10, how ridiculous is predicted event that's being planned for?

Planning for some events make you look smart; other events, not so much.

Maybe the Democrats should stop ramming their beliefs down the rest of America's throats? Just an idea.

:wtf:

EVERY political organization is going to ram their beliefs down the throat of America - that's what they DO.

EVERY political organization is going to ram their beliefs down the throat of America - that's what they DO.

Really? Give me an example of the GOP trying to force religions to go against their doctrine? Tell me when they've told Americans they must BUY a product simply because they were born? Give me a quote from Bush calling liberals 'our enemy'. Sorry, Ave... I have a lot of respect for you but this Administration is driving me to support the GOP. And, frankly, I loathe them for that.

ah and the right just keeps pretending facts are not facts

The one thing you still haven't figured out, obviously because you indulge in it yourself, is
any group with an agenda, be it "good" or "bad" manipulates and interprets facts based on their subjective viewpoint to reenforce their position. It's called politics.

Really? Give me an example of the GOP trying to force religions to go against their doctrine? Tell me when they've told Americans they must BUY a product simply because they were born? Give me a quote from Bush calling liberals 'our enemy'. Sorry, Ave... I have a lot of respect for you but this Administration is driving me to support the GOP. And, frankly, I loathe them for that.

Can you honestly say that in your opinion the GOP doesn't have a political agenda that they're pushing?

Really?!?

Anything about taxation coming to mind? Religion? Medical procedures they'd like to impose their own strict standards on? Marriage choices that they'd like to see eliminated nationally?

Like I said... EVERY political organization has an agenda to push. It's the purpose of their existence.

The one thing you still haven't figured out, obviously because you indulge in it yourself, is
any group with an agenda, be it "good" or "bad" manipulates and interprets facts based on their subjective viewpoint to reenforce their position. It's called politics.

the right just has to do it nonstop because their ideas have already been proven by history to be completely failed ideas.

Why dont they just get some new ideas instead?

:clap2:

Two gold stars and a cookie for my distinguished colleague standing just to my right.

Ramming shit down our throats is politics. Making it appear tasty is successful politics.

I think using the Obama family as one's avatar is "bat shit crazy". Get somebody good like Lady Gaga.

the right just has to do it nonstop because their ideas have already been proven by history to be completely failed ideas.

Why dont they just get some new ideas instead?

You have to remember, the proof of failure for trickle down economics has yet to register with many... and their right to be wrong is just as valid as yours and mine.

This is why voting is almost as important as discussing things in open, public forums.

Education, education, education.

New Topics

Forum List

Back