Hate: A US Export

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
As the most outspoken gay rights advocate in Uganda, a country where homophobia is so severe that Parliament is considering a bill to execute gay people, Mr. Kato had received a stream of death threats, his friends said. A few months ago, a Ugandan newspaper ran an antigay diatribe with Mr. Kato’s picture on the front page under a banner urging, “Hang Them.”

On Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Kato was beaten to death with a hammer in his rough-and-tumble neighborhood. Police officials were quick to chalk up the motive to robbery, but members of the small and increasingly besieged gay community in Uganda suspect otherwise.

“David’s death is a result of the hatred planted in Uganda by U.S. evangelicals in 2009,” Val Kalende, the chairwoman of one of Uganda’s gay rights groups, said in a statement. “The Ugandan government and the so-called U.S. evangelicals must take responsibility for David’s blood.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/world/africa/28uganda.html?src=me&ref=homepage

Despicable. Just despicable.

As the most outspoken gay rights advocate in Uganda, a country where homophobia is so severe that Parliament is considering a bill to execute gay people, Mr. Kato had received a stream of death threats, his friends said. A few months ago, a Ugandan newspaper ran an antigay diatribe with Mr. Kato’s picture on the front page under a banner urging, “Hang Them.”

On Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Kato was beaten to death with a hammer in his rough-and-tumble neighborhood. Police officials were quick to chalk up the motive to robbery, but members of the small and increasingly besieged gay community in Uganda suspect otherwise.

“David’s death is a result of the hatred planted in Uganda by U.S. evangelicals in 2009,” Val Kalende, the chairwoman of one of Uganda’s gay rights groups, said in a statement. “The Ugandan government and the so-called U.S. evangelicals must take responsibility for David’s blood.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/world/africa/28uganda.html?src=me&ref=homepage

Why does the US take the blame for this? its not like homosexuals were loved and admired in Uganda before those evangelicals went there.

• Banned
Ms. Kalende was referring to visits in March 2009 by a group of American evangelicals, who held rallies and workshops in Uganda discussing how to turn gay people straight, how gay men sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” intended to “defeat the marriage-based society.”

The Americans involved said they had no intention of stoking a violent reaction. But the antigay bill was drafted shortly thereafter. Some of the Ugandan politicians and preachers who wrote it had attended those sessions and said that they had discussed the legislation with the Americans.

After growing international pressure and threats from a few European countries to cut assistance — Uganda relies on hundreds of millions of dollars of aid — Uganda’s president, Yoweri Museveni, indicated that the bill would be scrapped.

But more than a year later, that has not happened, and the legislation remains a simmering issue in Parliament. Some political analysts say the bill could be passed in the coming months, after a general election in February that is expected to return Mr. Museveni, who has been in office for 25 years, to power.

On Thursday, Don Schmierer, one of the American evangelicals who visited Uganda in 2009, said Mr. Kato’s death was “horrible.”

“Naturally, I don’t want anyone killed, but I don’t feel I had anything to do with that,” said Mr. Schmierer, who added that in Uganda he had focused on parenting skills. He also said that he had been a target of threats himself, recently receiving more than 600 messages of hate mail related to his visit.

“I spoke to help people,” he said, “and I’m getting bludgeoned from one end to the other.”

Many Africans view homosexuality as an immoral Western import, and the continent is full of harsh homophobic laws. In northern Nigeria, gay men can face death by stoning. In Kenya, which is considered one of the more Westernized nations in Africa, gay people can be sentenced to years in prison.

But Uganda seems to be on the front lines of this battle. Conservative Christian groups that espouse antigay beliefs have made great headway in this country and wield considerable influence. Uganda’s minister of ethics and integrity, James Nsaba Buturo, who describes himself as a devout Christian, has said, “Homosexuals can forget about human rights.”

At the same time, American groups that defend gay rights have also poured money into Uganda to help the beleaguered gay community.

In October, a Ugandan newspaper called Rolling Stone (with a circulation of roughly 2,000 and no connection to the American magazine) published an article that included photos and the whereabouts of gay men and lesbians, including several well-known activists like Mr. Kato.

The paper said homosexuals were raiding schools and recruiting children, a belief that is quite widespread in Uganda and has helped drive the homophobia.

Mr. Kato and a few other activists sued the paper and won. This month, Uganda’s High Court ordered Rolling Stone to pay hundreds of dollars in damages and to cease publishing the names of people it said were gay.

But the danger remained.

“I had to move houses,” said Stosh Mugisha, a woman who is going through a transition to become a man. “People tried to stone me. It’s so scary. And it’s getting worse.”

On Thursday, Giles Muhame, Rolling Stone’s managing editor, said he did not think that Mr. Kato’s killing had anything to do with what his paper had published.

“There is no need for anxiety or for hype,” he said. “We should not overblow the death of one.”

But that one man was considered a founding father of Uganda’s nascent gay rights movement. In an interview in 2009, Mr. Kato shared his life story, how he was raised in a conservative family where “we grew up brainwashed that it was wrong to be in love with a man.”

He was a high school teacher who had graduated from some of Uganda’s best schools, and he moved to South Africa in the mid-1990s, where he came out. A few years ago, he organized what he claimed was Uganda’s first gay rights news conference in Kampala, the capital, and said he was punched in the face and cracked in the nose by police officers soon afterward.

Friends said that Mr. Kato had recently put an alarm system in his house and was killed by an acquaintance, someone who had been inside several times before and was seen by neighbors on Wednesday. Mr. Kato’s neighborhood on the outskirts of Kampala is known as a rough one, where several people have recently been beaten to death with iron bars.

Judith Nabakooba, a police spokeswoman, said Mr. Kato’s death did not appear to be a hate crime, though the investigation had just started. “It looks like theft, as some things were stolen,” Ms. Nabakooba said.

But Nikki Mawanda, a friend who was born female and lives as a man, said: “This is a clear signal. You don’t know who’s going to do it to you.”

Mr. Kato was in his mid-40s, his friends said. He was a fast talker, fidgety, bespectacled, slightly built and constantly checking over his shoulder, even in the envelope of darkness of an empty lot near a disco, where he was interviewed in 2009.

He said then that he wanted to be a “good human rights defender, not a dead one, but an alive one.”

This Don Schmierer is a piece of work, High Gravity. The organization he is associated with, Exodus International, teaches that homosexuality can be "cured".

Exodus International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The virulent hatred these people have for homosexuals was infectious in Uganda, and is partially responsible for the death described in the Op..

Why does the US take the blame for this? its not like homosexuals were loved and admired in Uganda before those evangelicals went there.

Because Val Kalende, the chairwoman of one of Uganda’s gay rights groups, said so.

And she knows that only if she can somehow make the Plight of Ugandan Queers relative to American Queers, she might be able to rug-munch with relative peace-of-mind.

This is complete and utter crap. Hatred towards homosexuality is not a U.S. export. Most societies have historically proscribed it.

This is just another lame excuse to blame America for a domestic issue.

African countries are very anti gay in general, its not any different if you to Nigeria or Kenya for gays than it is in Uganda.

What complete crap. Talk about hate, Madeline. You're expressing it right here by giving this bs the time of day.

Planted by us evangelists. What a hoot. I guess those Ugandans are just too stupid to be evil on their own. After all, they're black, right?

And U.S. Evangelism must have be the reason why Sharia law has a death penalty for homosexuality.

Because Val Kalende, the chairwoman of one of Uganda’s gay rights groups, said so.

And she knows that only if she can somehow make the Plight of Ugandan Queers relative to American Queers, she might be able to rug-munch with relative peace-of-mind.

Maddy read it on the internets, so it must be TWOO!

Madeline, check your premise. "Blame the USA For Everything,Think" is getting really old. What you don't blame the USA for, you blame Christians. Stop spreading Hate.

An angry Muslim mob busted into a Christian worship service in a church outside of Kampala and threatened to harm or kill the churchgoers if the service didn't disband.

The recent Muslim raid on a Christian worship service just outside the capital city of Kampala is prompting concern among missions agencies that a more militant form of Islam may be taking root in that east central African nation.

Uganda is about 85-percent Christian, and the attack was carried out by a 40-member, machete and club-wielding Muslim mob in a predominantly Muslim enclave of the capital region.

Several church members were injured and there was some damage to the church building.

Read more at Suite101: Muslims Raid Uganda Worship Service: Use Clubs and Machetes to Frighten Worshipers Muslims Raid Uganda Worship Service: Use Clubs and Machetes to Frighten Worshipers

Thats because everything "bad" is the US's fault. Didnt you get the memo?

They have to blame their gayness on something you know. If they are loud enough homophobes its possible no one will "think" they are gay.

So what I've found out is this...

The Ugandan MP is an asshole who wants to kill all gays. That's obviously over the top. It can't be viewed as GENOCIDE, which is what the gay-stream press is touting it as, because homosexuality isn't confined to a race. And in a country completely wracked by AIDS one can understand the panic that leaders may be experiencing.

BUT...there's also a lot of flap about an elusive, secret, American-funded evangelical group called "The Family" which allegedly takes these leaders, which I guess are too retarded to be evil on their own, and promotes them and pours poison into their ears so they'll kill homosexuals.

I think that's a little far fetched. Except in far left articles, I can't find any information on "The Family". I suspect it's a fabrication of the left.

As is the assumption that Chrsitianity is in any way a new thing in Uganda and Africa.

I'll never forget the hoots and hollers that the left embarked on when I reminded them that Nigeria was the home of one of the oldest Christian churches in the world.

The left has this ridiculous notion that African countries have no history before Americans started going there, and managed to maintain a separateness from the rest of the world...just because they weren't on our radar until recently.

Why not take a break from your Cheer Leading against US Interests Madeline, and consider your effect on why the world hates us? What do you expect to come of all of the propaganda you put out???

I know, it is only okay when the Left does it Syndrome. Never the Right. Nothing the Right ever does is in the service of a higher Ideal. ;)

African countries are very anti gay in general, its not any different if you to Nigeria or Kenya for gays than it is in Uganda.

They are?

Apparently only according to Afrocenterists

Afrocentrics often deny that homosexuality was a feature of African cultures in ancient times.

But, according to Denunciations of Bahia, (1591-1593)

"Francisco Manicongo, a cobbler's apprentice known among the slaves as a sodomite for 'performing the duties of a female' and for 'refusing to wear the men's clothes which the master gave him.' Francisco's accuser added that in Angola and the Congo in which he had wandered much and of which he had much experience, it is customary among the pagan negros to wear a loincloth with the ends in front which leaves an opening in the rear... this custom being adopted by the sodomitic negros who serve as passive women in the abominable sin. These passives are called jimbandaa in the language of Angola and the Congo, which means passive sodomite. The accuser claimed to have seen Francisco Manicongo "wearing a loincloth such as passive sodomites wear in his land of the Congo and immediately rebuked him." (quoted by J. Treveisan, Perverts in Paradise, London, 1986. Elipses are his.)

BTW: 'Jimbandaa' would make a great username.

prince.jpg

Some people really need to study the real history of US christian missionaries and their actual works.

Not all of the are bad, but they create as many problems as they solve.

Some people really need to study the real history of US christian missionaries and their actual works.

I do home improvement and repair work for a medical doctor, a Christian, and one time Christian-missionary who annually goes to Africa at his own expense. He takes unpaid leave from his ER duties at the local hospital to voluntarily provide medical care of all kinds, including surgery, for the poor there.

He goes for a month plus travel time, of which only the cost of the air-flight is paid for by his church. In his last trip over before the holidays (2010), he performed right at one hundred hysterectomies for women in need there.

He told me a story of a woman who began uncontrolled bleeding during an operation he was performing. Unable to do anything else to save her life he filled the opened cavity up with gauze and anything else he could and sewed her up to stop the flow. Then he called in her closest relatives and asked that they find everyone they could who could donate blood (of her type I presume) as quickly as possible to create an emergency blood-bank for when he would open her up again the next day.

They did as he asked with a large enough reserve of blood, that he was able to go back in the next day and complete the operation and finish properly saving her life.

Over the years since the middle 70’s I have worked for half a dozen of these “missionary” doctors, and I have to say as an atheist that I respect them, and they have never shown a propensity to look down on or condemn homosexuals. I know that because that very issue has come up, and they appreciate the fact that they cannot help people such as those if they look down on them. They have tried to save my soul, but they respect my non acceptance of religion.

Once back in the eighties, my son, wife and I, being invited over for an evening meal and desert by one of them and his wife, I took along a VCR tape of “The life of Brian” for an evening’s entertainment. They allowed IT to be played (with my 12 year old son present), and were completely polite and restrained in their conduct. Years later, I look back on my presumption as being gauche in the extreme, and regret it. MY gain was that I realized that it was I who was intolerant, and not they.

When I read stuff like in the OP I just want to say that it is misleading in the extreme because it is the outlier, not the ordinary.

Last edited:

Human's putting their two cent's in usually has that effect huh? ;)

What are you talking about! We export hate of gays to Uganda! Are you retarded?

One person makes a blanket assertion and you jump all over it. Evangelicals do the vast amount of the charity work in Africa. They run the vast amount of orphanages in Africa. They raise the most money for Africa. Evagelicals have been overly generous to Africa. Evagelicals are the best people in the world hands down! Every African country whether Black or Arab is a brutal oppressive country. They all have atrocisties. Uganda had a mass killing by the government of 300K of its own people by Muslim Idi Amin! Don't make it like they boyscouts!

New Topics

Forum List

Back