Hastert lectures McCain on the sacrifices of war

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
hasterts idiocy in print

Growing tensions between House and Senate Republicans over the war in Iraq (news - web sites), abuse of Iraqi prisoners, tax cuts and budget deficits erupted Wednesday with House Speaker Dennis Hastert lecturing former POW and Arizona Sen. John McCain about sacrifice and war.

McCain, who spent five years in a North Vietnamese prison, excoriated fellow Republicans on Tuesday for pushing more tax cuts while U.S. troops are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Throughout our history, wartime has been a time of sacrifice. ... What have we sacrificed?" McCain said. "As mind-boggling as expanding Medicare has been, nothing tops my confusion for cutting taxes during wartime. I don't remember ever in the history of warfare when we cut taxes."

Asked Wednesday about McCain's remarks, Hastert, who was rejected for military service because of a bad shoulder, first joked: "Who? Where's he from? A Republican?"

Then, more seriously, he said: "If you want to see sacrifice, John McCain ought to visit our young men and women at Walter Reed and Bethesda (two Washington area military hospitals). There's the sacrifice in this country. We're trying to make sure that they have the ability to fight this war, that they have the wherewithal to be able to do it. And at the same time, we have to react to keep this country strong not only militarily but economically. We want to be able to have the flexibility to do it. That's my reply to John McCain."

McCain stood fast in his reply to Hastert.

"The speaker is correct in that nothing we are called upon to do comes close to matching the heroism of our troops," he said. "All we're called upon to do is not spend our nation into bankruptcy while our soldiers risk their lives. I fondly remember a time when real Republicans stood for fiscal responsibility."

The conflict erupted as Hastert laid down a budget making it easier to pass future tax cuts regardless of their impact on the federal deficit. McCain and a group of GOP moderates in the Senate want to rein in deficits by making tax cuts harder.

Later, Hastert spokesman John Feehery said the speaker "values Sen. McCain's military service, but he disagrees with him on tax relief."

Hastert believes in the effectiveness of tax cuts on revitalizing the economy. What's idiotic about that?

Unless you're refering to his comments about wounded soldiers, in which case I agree, that was an idiotic non sequitur.

They discussed that exchange on FOXNEWS' Special Report.

Originally posted by Zhukov
Hastert believes in the effectiveness of tax cuts on revitalizing the economy. What's idiotic about that?

Unless you're refering to his comments about wounded soldiers, in which case I agree, that was an idiotic non sequitur.

They discussed that exchange on FOXNEWS' Special Report.

hmm, i was actually thinking that hastert, a former wrestling coach, lecturing mccain, a former vietnam pow for 5 years, on the sacrifices of war but hey, maybe being a wrestling coach is alot more sacrificial to war than being a pow.

Originally posted by SPIKESMYGOD
I say that we Republicans take Joe Lieberman- it's obvious his own party hates him- and the Dems can have McCain!

Sound winning?

and you would consider mccain is hated by his party....why?

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
hmm, i was actually thinking that hastert, a former wrestling coach, lecturing mccain, a former vietnam pow for 5 years, on the sacrifices of war but hey, maybe being a wrestling coach is alot more sacrificial to war than being a pow.

I was more taken by the fact that McCain was talking about fiscal responsiblity and Hastert brings wounded soldiers into it from out of left field.

McCain asked what have 'we' sacrificed. 'We' as in non-military citizens and government representatives. Then Hastert mentions the sacrifices of soldiers. It displays a clear misunderstanding of what McCain was talking about. Or it indicates an agenda, or personal dislike for McCain, on Hastert's part.

Originally posted by Zhukov
Or it indicates. . . . personal dislike for McCain, on Hastert's part.

Bingo. A lot of Republicans (frankly, myself included) are getting tired of McCain's pandering to the left. He uses his status as an ex-POW to act as if he knows more than anybody else on any subject. Well, maybe he doesn't use it himself, but he allows himself to be used by the media and the left to bash Bush. Many of his disagreements with Bush he would not have disagreed with four years ago. He is hurt over the primaries in 2000 and he won't let it go. Maybe he shouldn't, but then again, he is the one (IMHO) that has been feeding the fires as of late that is causing dissension in the ranks. He keeps letting Kerry refer to him as his "best friend" in the Senate and he he keeps letting Kerry use his (not so impressive in my opinion) military record to dodge difficult questions. McCain is causing a lot of his own headaches.

Again, JMHO!

so, let me get this straight. You guys would rather fry McCain, one of the last true conservatives, because he doesn't toe the party line and kiss Bush's ass?

so, let me get this straight. You guys would rather fry McCain, one of the last true conservatives, because he doesn't toe the party line and kiss Bush's ass?

I never said that. I like McCain, but I wish he would stop letting the left use him. He often comes out in support of Bush, but he won't tell Kerry to stop using his name to bash Bush. Does that make sense?

If McCain want's to dissent, that is fine. But he should stop letting the left use him. That is all I am trying to get at; that is what is making other republicans angry.

Anyone who opposed free speech is not a true conservative. Besides, killing the economy will make the deficit worse. Growing the Economy will make it better. Which one do we want? If McCain wants to make sacrifices for Fiscal responsibility, he should be proposing the cut of wasteful programs, like the unemployment money he was trying to increase during a growing economy. (still cant believe im happy that Kerry didnt show up for work for that vote) I think we can sacrifice many of those for the war. We shouldnt be punishing the people by taking more of their money. they are already suffering enough from the gas hikes.

Hey, I'm a Democrat and I like and respect Joe Lieberman. He's too conservative on some issues for my taste, but I respect him anyway. Lieberman has remained loyal to our party and our candidates. I wish I could say the same for some other Democrats who have chosen to try and divide our party to help George Bush win. And freeandfun, I would say the exact same thing about Zell Miller, except he's out campaigning for Bush.

acludem

If the Democrats would nominate a candidate that cared more about America then their own political career and who can unite the American people rather than cater to the Far left fringes, maybe honest Democrats like Zell wouldnt have to support President Bush.

Regardless, Zell knows what his constituency wants. If he didnt i doubt he would be doing this.

Forum List

Back