Has your city outlawed Fireworks?

What the hell ever happened to personal responsibility, anyway? They ban fireworks so kids won't blow their fingers off. However, it's not the government's job to keep me from blowing my fingers off. It's the government's job to make sure that nobody else blows my fingers off. If I blow my fingers off, it's my problem. But no, the stupid frickin' government has to step in every time some little rugbrat gets hurt and ruin everybody's fun because they think it's for the greater good. It's bullcrap!

Yea know what's funny? I've lived in states where fireworks were legal. I'll tell ya from experience, there are no more private fireworks displays in those states than here where it is illegal.

The top 10 ways to celebrate July 4th, from mises.org

* Hire anyone you believe is qualified to do the job. Do not check for credentials, do not pay social security/medicare and for the sake of all that is good, do not withhold money from their paycheck. Better yet, pay cash.

* Buy gold or silver. What better way to secure your dollars from the decaying hands of the Federal Reserve than by buying historically sound money?

* Sell hot dogs and lemonade to your neighbors, or have a garage sale. Do not obtain a license and do not pay sales tax. Make it as simple as possible and enjoy totally free transactions between friends and family, as it should be. Teach the kids the value of work, money and freedom.

* Obtain fireworks and set them off. If your state government believes (oh, the horror) that you are better off not having them, find some anyway through an intermediary or just drive to the state border

* Buy a gun from someone not behind a counter. Then keep it on you.

* (Try to) travel without an ID. This great victimless crime is a prime example of the State’s desire to control everything and everyone. Conform or be jailed.

* Deliver first class mail around your block. Make it a fun walk and bring your kids. Yes, this is a bit silly, but the Feds have monopolized the delivery of first class mail in the country. Spooner had a nice go at it but he was shut down. Do not ever try to do evil things such as deliver mail, for the government hates competition.

* Install and use software with strong encryption and enjoy secretive email and instant messaging. Sure, there could be ways of cracking the code and revealing the messages but it’s the thought that matters.

* Drive without your license while talking on your cell phone without wearing your seatbelt or helmet.

* Start a home improvement project: build a pool, a new room, a bigger garage. It’s your house and land right? You do not need permission from your local tyrant or council or any of their thugs and beasts to use your own property or add to it.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lora/m.lora26.html

I think there can be times when banning fireworks is legitimate. For a short while, I lived in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It's located right at the southern tip of the state on the Gulf of Mexico. The town itself is actually on a large island, and they don't allow anyone to use fireworks. I remember at school someone asked a policeman who was visiting campus why fireworks were banned. I thought he gave a reasonable answer. The entire island, it turns out, largely consists of sand and alittle dirt. Being right on the ocean, the entire town was in danger of eroding away. The only stopgap measure was the plants, trees, grasses, and ferns whose roots held the ground in place. The locals figured that had someone used fireworks, this action created a risk of someone accidentally starting a large brushfire either inland or on the dunes near the beaches. Had this happened, a lot of the plantlife responsible for holding the island together could have been burned away. This would lead to the eventual erosion of the affected areas. Essentially, the town banned fireworks because they threatened to destroy a huge part of the island. This wasn't a victimless crime anymore. Huge areas, thousands of jobs, and millions of dollars would have been lost. So I think what they were doing was pretty reasonable. It's a special situation, but one I thought I'd put out there.

Mr.Conley said:
I think there can be times when banning fireworks is legitimate. For a short while, I lived in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It's located right at the southern tip of the state on the Gulf of Mexico. The town itself is actually on a large island, and they don't allow anyone to use fireworks. I remember at school someone asked a policeman who was visiting campus why fireworks were banned. I thought he gave a reasonable answer. The entire island, it turns out, largely consists of sand and alittle dirt. Being right on the ocean, the entire town was in danger of eroding away. The only stopgap measure was the plants, trees, grasses, and ferns whose roots held the ground in place. The locals figured that had someone used fireworks, this action created a risk of someone accidentally starting a large brushfire either inland or on the dunes near the beaches. Had this happened, a lot of the plantlife responsible for holding the island together could have been burned away. This would lead to the eventual erosion of the affected areas. Essentially, the town banned fireworks because they threatened to destroy a huge part of the island. This wasn't a victimless crime anymore. Huge areas, thousands of jobs, and millions of dollars would have been lost. So I think what they were doing was pretty reasonable. It's a special situation, but one I thought I'd put out there.
It's so full of shit it ain't funny. Did they past that story off on adults?
Wait, Alabama.....nevermind.:)

BaronVonBigmeat said:
* Buy a gun from someone not behind a counter. Then keep it on you.

Let's see, done that six times already... thank you for the idea but, that's how private citizens buy and sell guns, it's legal, and it's how we do it in America.

Don't like it, move your bigmeat to france.

Who needs fireworks? I pull out the old 357 and fire some rounds in the air towards my least favorite neighborhood, usually the one that has a bunch of fireworks going off. Another fun trick is to bring out a driver and a few dozen driving range balls. Hit those over the neighbor's home and listen for the shattering of glass. The real fun happens when you get on the roof of a highrise and spank those rangeballs into the night air. Extra points if you set off car alarms.:salute: :happy2:

For years, our state outlawed them unless you had a permit, but that didn't stop many thousands of us running across the border to Wisconsin for overpriced fireworks from the dealers who knew we would pay whatever the price and then try to make it back without a MN highway patrol seeing you.

Now, they legalized all fireworks that do not leave the ground except bottle rockets. Yeah, all the stuff that's kinda fun for a while, but nothing real exciting. So...no roman candles, m-80's, or anything. But that still doesn't stop us from buying them and shooting them anyway. Most of the cops here won't enforce this law (unless they are having a bad day or are just a real tightass) because 99% of them think it is stupid as well.

When we go for a fireworks run, we make the 4hr trip one way to Sioux Falls, because they have everything legal there, and it is half the price of any WI dealer. The one outlet we go to has everything 'buy one, get one', and most of the stuff like black cats, bottle rockets, water bombs, smoke bombs, etc, are usually 'buy two get three free' or somethng like that.

Gotta love it!
Fireworks to show patriotism are illeagal but you can burn an American flag!
Is a firework not a form of freedom of speech? Is burning cloth at a demonstration not a danger to people?

Let the liberals tell us, they know best! :salute:

You can buy and use fireworks in my area so long as you aren't in the city limits. On the 4th of July, they don't enforce it until people start complaining late at night, and even then half the time they ignore it.

theHawk said:
Gotta love it!
Fireworks to show patriotism are illeagal but you can burn an American flag!
Is a firework not a form of freedom of speech? Is burning cloth at a demonstration not a danger to people?

Let the liberals tell us, they know best! :salute:

Hey, at least I'm consistent. I think both should be legal.

Nienna said:
We're allowed to buy them here, but not use them. As if. :rolleyes:
http://www.burtonfire.com/fireworks.htm

Anyway, we have our annual cookout/fireworks display at my BF's house. They live right behind the county sheriff. He likes to watch the display. :D

Annual?.... Boyfriend's house?.... How long do you continue the "boyfriend" thing, years? No marriage?

Sorry... none of my business. Just one of those little idiosyncrasy's I pick up on. :eek:

Pale Rider said:
Annual?.... Boyfriend's house?.... How long do you continue the "boyfriend" thing, years? No marriage?

Sorry... none of my business. Just one of those little idiosyncrasy's I pick up on. :eek:
My husband is very understanding. ;)

Forum List

Back