Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dmp, Jul 4, 2006.
This guy calls it like it is - and I agree with him.
City? HA! Fireworks are illegal in the whole state!
Snakes and sparklers are all we get...bastards.
HAHAHAHA...yeah? Listen close tonight.
What the hell ever happened to personal responsibility, anyway? They ban fireworks so kids won't blow their fingers off. However, it's not the government's job to keep me from blowing my fingers off. It's the government's job to make sure that nobody else blows my fingers off. If I blow my fingers off, it's my problem. But no, the stupid frickin' government has to step in every time some little rugbrat gets hurt and ruin everybody's fun because they think it's for the greater good. It's bullcrap!
Yea know what's funny? I've lived in states where fireworks were legal. I'll tell ya from experience, there are no more private fireworks displays in those states than here where it is illegal.
The top 10 ways to celebrate July 4th, from mises.org
* Hire anyone you believe is qualified to do the job. Do not check for credentials, do not pay social security/medicare and for the sake of all that is good, do not withhold money from their paycheck. Better yet, pay cash.
* Buy gold or silver. What better way to secure your dollars from the decaying hands of the Federal Reserve than by buying historically sound money?
* Sell hot dogs and lemonade to your neighbors, or have a garage sale. Do not obtain a license and do not pay sales tax. Make it as simple as possible and enjoy totally free transactions between friends and family, as it should be. Teach the kids the value of work, money and freedom.
* Obtain fireworks and set them off. If your state government believes (oh, the horror) that you are better off not having them, find some anyway through an intermediary or just drive to the state border
* Buy a gun from someone not behind a counter. Then keep it on you.
* (Try to) travel without an ID. This great victimless crime is a prime example of the States desire to control everything and everyone. Conform or be jailed.
* Deliver first class mail around your block. Make it a fun walk and bring your kids. Yes, this is a bit silly, but the Feds have monopolized the delivery of first class mail in the country. Spooner had a nice go at it but he was shut down. Do not ever try to do evil things such as deliver mail, for the government hates competition.
* Install and use software with strong encryption and enjoy secretive email and instant messaging. Sure, there could be ways of cracking the code and revealing the messages but its the thought that matters.
* Drive without your license while talking on your cell phone without wearing your seatbelt or helmet.
* Start a home improvement project: build a pool, a new room, a bigger garage. Its your house and land right? You do not need permission from your local tyrant or council or any of their thugs and beasts to use your own property or add to it.
Like anyone ever obeys those laws anyway.
I think there can be times when banning fireworks is legitimate. For a short while, I lived in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It's located right at the southern tip of the state on the Gulf of Mexico. The town itself is actually on a large island, and they don't allow anyone to use fireworks. I remember at school someone asked a policeman who was visiting campus why fireworks were banned. I thought he gave a reasonable answer. The entire island, it turns out, largely consists of sand and alittle dirt. Being right on the ocean, the entire town was in danger of eroding away. The only stopgap measure was the plants, trees, grasses, and ferns whose roots held the ground in place. The locals figured that had someone used fireworks, this action created a risk of someone accidentally starting a large brushfire either inland or on the dunes near the beaches. Had this happened, a lot of the plantlife responsible for holding the island together could have been burned away. This would lead to the eventual erosion of the affected areas. Essentially, the town banned fireworks because they threatened to destroy a huge part of the island. This wasn't a victimless crime anymore. Huge areas, thousands of jobs, and millions of dollars would have been lost. So I think what they were doing was pretty reasonable. It's a special situation, but one I thought I'd put out there.
It's so full of shit it ain't funny. Did they past that story off on adults?
Separate names with a comma.