Has USMB & The Internet Become Ghettoized, Polarized and Insular?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

I think so. I think many of us here and on the internet "live in partisan ghettoes, ignorant about the other side."

interesting article with interesting quotes: about our cognitive biases...:eusa_whistle:

We like hearing evidence that confirms our suppositions. We filter out evidence that challenges them...we have a natural tilt toward polarized views. People are prone to gather in like-minded groups...they drive each other to even greater extremes.

...liberal judges get more liberal when they are on panels with other liberals. Conservative judges get more conservative.

Did I forget to say I disagree with many of the conclusions in the article?

People who spend a lot of time on Glenn Beck’s Web site are more likely to visit The New York Times’s Web site than average Internet users. People who spend time on the most liberal sites are more likely to go to foxnews.com than average Internet users. Even white supremacists and neo-Nazis travel far and wide across the Web.

This study suggests that Internet users are a bunch of ideological Jack Kerouacs. ...This does not mean they are not polarized. Looking at a site says nothing about how you process it...It could be people spend a lot of time at their home sites and then go off on forays looking for things to hate. But it probably does mean they are not insecure and they are not sheltered.

If this study is correct, the Internet will not produce a cocooned public square, but a free-wheeling multilayered Mad Max public square. The study also suggests that if...it’s probably not the Internet that’s causing it.

People who spend a lot of time on Glenn Beck’s Web site are more likely to visit The New York Times’s Web site than average Internet users. People who spend time on the most liberal sites are more likely to go to foxnews.com than average Internet users. Even white supremacists and neo-Nazis travel far and wide across the Web.

This study suggests that Internet users are a bunch of ideological Jack Kerouacs. ...This does not mean they are not polarized. Looking at a site says nothing about how you process it...It could be people spend a lot of time at their home sites and then go off on forays looking for things to hate. But it probably does mean they are not insecure and they are not sheltered.

If this study is correct, the Internet will not produce a cocooned public square, but a free-wheeling multilayered Mad Max public square. The study also suggests that if...it’s probably not the Internet that’s causing it.

Internet debate is framed by several factors. One of the most prominent is the Internet dickwad theory:

greaterdickwad.jpg

I do think that a majority of people will graviate towards forums where opinion is mostly the same as thiers. look at the popularity of DU and FR. Sites like this where all opinions are allowed are less populated.

You also usually have issues separating trolls from debaters. Hell some people have split personalilites, trolling at one point and doing regular debate at others.

I think so. I think many of us here and on the internet "live in partisan ghettoes, ignorant about the other side."

interesting article with interesting quotes: about our cognitive biases...:eusa_whistle:

We like hearing evidence that confirms our suppositions. We filter out evidence that challenges them...we have a natural tilt toward polarized views. People are prone to gather in like-minded groups...they drive each other to even greater extremes.​

...liberal judges get more liberal when they are on panels with other liberals. Conservative judges get more conservative.

The Net's sensibilities mirror the sensibilities of the people.

We are a nation divided by differences of opinion about what we want for our nation.

That's fairly obvious if you come to places like this.

We like hearing evidence that confirms our suppositions. We filter out evidence that challenges them...we have a natural tilt toward polarized views. People are prone to gather in like-minded groups...they drive each other to even greater extremes.​

We are a nation divided by differences of opinion about what we want for our nation.

And it's been like that since the beginning of time. There's nothing new about any of this.

Internet debate is framed by several factors. One of the most prominent is the Internet dickwad theory:

greaterdickwad.jpg

I do think that a majority of people will graviate towards forums where opinion is mostly the same as thiers. look at the popularity of DU and FR. Sites like this where all opinions are allowed are less populated.

You also usually have issues separating trolls from debaters. Hell some people have split personalilites, trolling at one point and doing regular debate at others.

:clap2:

oh the irony! the irony.

:lol:

Stating the obvious again?

What is interesting is that like the good old days of the republic, news and information is more and more being filtered through partisan mouthpieces. If only people today knew how hysterical and down right nasty the early national battles were. By the mid 20th century we had come a long way with media. It may have had a small slant towards what I call the middle left, news and information was not really partisan and driven by ideology.

I'm not really complaining. I love a good show. The American debate is becoming more and more like a circus act and I would love to be a Ring Leader waiting in teh wings to announce the next freak show act.

drum roll please.......................................

We're not ignorant about "Progressives" you people are fucking retards and we call you on it

And it's been like that since the beginning of time. There's nothing new about any of this.

yes, but we are going backwards. sometimes we go two forward and one backwards and sometimes we go....

We like hearing evidence that confirms our suppositions. We filter out evidence that challenges them...we have a natural tilt toward polarized views. People are prone to gather in like-minded groups...they drive each other to even greater extremes.

I think you're an instigating piece of trash.

I think you're an instigating piece of trash.

grow some balls

greaterdickwad.jpg

oh the irony! the irony.

You think my postings count as dickwadery? Wow, you must be used to some pretty half assed dickwads.

Dante, why are you so desperate for attention? Have you considered volunteering somewhere in your neighborhood?

greaterdickwad.jpg

oh the irony! the irony.

You think my postings count as dickwadery? Wow, you must be used to some pretty half assed dickwads.

I apologize, twas my "split" personality, "trolling" ... it has a way of exerting itself.

:eek:

greaterdickwad.jpg

Pay attention. The reason a site like this is less popular is quite obvious.

Pay attention.

:eusa_whistle:

hey, that reminds me---where's Gunny?

Forum List

Back