Has the USA gone soft?

roomy

The Natural
Apr 22, 2006
http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.as...ortlive&ks=0&mc=5&ml=ma&lc=en&ae=windows-1252

Libya urged to make Lockerbie payments

By Sue Pleming

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With the United States set to take Libya off its list of state sponsors of terror, U.S. lawmakers criticised the Bush administration on Wednesday for failing to push Tripoli hard enough make final payments to the families of victims of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing.

The U.S. State Department said the 45-day Congressional review period for Libya to be removed from the terrorism list ended on Wednesday and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice would soon finish the paperwork to complete the process.

Last month full diplomatic ties were resumed and the two countries will soon exchange ambassadors.

"I am very disappointed that the administration chose to renew its relationship with (Libyan leader Muammar) Gaddafi before making sure he fulfilled his promises to American victims of his terror," said Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey.

Lawmakers and relatives of some of the 270 people killed in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, urged the Bush administration not to accept Libyan officials' diplomatic credentials until Tripoli pays the final tranche of compensation payments.

A bomb aboard Flight 103 was linked to Libyan agents

"Libya should be applauded for the steps it has taken to get this far. But before the US welcomes Libya as a diplomatic partner it must ensure that Libya fulfils all of the obligations," said Rep. Rob Andrews, a New Jersey Democrat.

Republican lawmakers have also been critical of the administration's stance.

The U.S.

U.S. State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said he had "misspoken" and the United States was no longer directly involved in pressing Libya over this issue.

"I should have said we were (not are) actively involved," said Ereli. "Obviously, we are supportive of the families. We work to help resolve this ... this in a fair manner. But we're not a party to it.

Libyan lawyers in the United States said this week there was no longer a legal obligation to make the final payments of $2 million to each family, contending that an agreement to keep the final portion of the compensation package in escrow accounts expired in December 2004.

A House of Representatives committee approved a measure last week barring diplomatic ties with Libya unless it pays the remainder of $536 million to the victims families. That legislation is expected to be passed by Thursday.

(Reporting by Sue Pleming)

Damn right we've gone "soft", all you have to do is read some of the posts on this forum, and this is a conservative forum.

I don't mind taking a "second look" at something, but as a nation we have absolutely gone nuts.

Hell, if we could send these "dress left" wing nuts into harms way, they could talk them to death, same result, I could live with that.:read:

roomy said:
http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.as...ortlive&ks=0&mc=5&ml=ma&lc=en&ae=windows-1252

Libya urged to make Lockerbie payments

By Sue Pleming

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With the United States set to take Libya off its list of state sponsors of terror, U.S. lawmakers criticised the Bush administration on Wednesday for failing to push Tripoli hard enough make final payments to the families of victims of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing.

The U.S. State Department said the 45-day Congressional review period for Libya to be removed from the terrorism list ended on Wednesday and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice would soon finish the paperwork to complete the process.

Last month full diplomatic ties were resumed and the two countries will soon exchange ambassadors.

"I am very disappointed that the administration chose to renew its relationship with (Libyan leader Muammar) Gaddafi before making sure he fulfilled his promises to American victims of his terror," said Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey.

Lawmakers and relatives of some of the 270 people killed in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, urged the Bush administration not to accept Libyan officials' diplomatic credentials until Tripoli pays the final tranche of compensation payments.

A bomb aboard Flight 103 was linked to Libyan agents

"Libya should be applauded for the steps it has taken to get this far. But before the US welcomes Libya as a diplomatic partner it must ensure that Libya fulfils all of the obligations," said Rep. Rob Andrews, a New Jersey Democrat.

Republican lawmakers have also been critical of the administration's stance.

The U.S.

U.S. State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said he had "misspoken" and the United States was no longer directly involved in pressing Libya over this issue.

"I should have said we were (not are) actively involved," said Ereli. "Obviously, we are supportive of the families. We work to help resolve this ... this in a fair manner. But we're not a party to it.

Libyan lawyers in the United States said this week there was no longer a legal obligation to make the final payments of $2 million to each family, contending that an agreement to keep the final portion of the compensation package in escrow accounts expired in December 2004.

A House of Representatives committee approved a measure last week barring diplomatic ties with Libya unless it pays the remainder of $536 million to the victims families. That legislation is expected to be passed by Thursday.

(Reporting by Sue Pleming)

We send our military to combat terrorism, and we're wrong.

We try diplomacy with a nutcase who has, nutcase or no, renounced terrorism, and we're wrong.

Seems we're only "right" if we just sit back and let the inmates run the asylum.

GunnyL said:
We send our military to combat terrorism, and we're wrong.

We try diplomacy with a nutcase who has, nutcase or no, renounced terrorism, and we're wrong.

Seems we're only "right" if we just sit back and let the inmates run the asylum.

Gunny you know me, I'm the last that would jump on you. I just want to remind you, you find yourself responding to Roomy. I think you need to grab a cold one and rethink who you wish to respond to. :laugh:

The Congress is the asylum and we need to change that. ;)

Everything we fucking do is wrong, even if we sit back and do nothing then they're like "Why is the US not doing anything?!" then when we do something they don't like that either. It's really shitty and it pisses me off.

USMCDevilDog said:
Everything we fucking do is wrong, even if we sit back and do nothing then they're like "Why is the US not doing anything?!" then when we do something they don't like that either. It's really shitty and it pisses me off.
So what would you LIKE to see?

Kathianne said:
Gunny you know me, I'm the last that would jump on you. I just want to remind you, you find yourself responding to Roomy. I think you need to grab a cold one and rethink who you wish to respond to. :laugh:

The Congress is the asylum and we need to change that. ;)

:dunno:

I am in agreement with the OP, I think the US should have waited until Gadaffi had made good on his promises of reparation to the families of the victims before they climb into bed with him.

Double standards IMO.

Forum List

Back