Has the Tea Party overreached?

All political parties will experience flux in their infancy. But, however hard you try to suggest to the contrary, their ideals will still be attractive to many voters. The Tea Party is very similar to the UK's alternative political voice, UKIP (who I'm a card carrying member of and volunteer on behalf of). Even if the current Tea Party is forced to disolve out of either financial mismanagement or an idealogical split, their core ideals will resurface in the near future in some form or another.

No, they are our only hope for our future. It is up to them to remake the Republican party. Get rid of the McCains.

Only to the diseased mind of the typical modern American liberal drone would REACHING for the VERY THING they campaigned to achieve constitute "over-reaching."

Although the weak-willed, tag-along beneficiaries of the Tea Party endorsed candidates (the old guard Republicans like Speaker Boehner) were able to play political games with the still formidable powers of the old guard liberals (i.e., the Democratics in Congress) to derail the Tea Party effort this time, there is GOOD NEWS:

The fight is not yet over. It has just begun.

Last edited:
All political parties will experience flux in their infancy. But, however hard you try to suggest to the contrary, their ideals will still be attractive to many voters. The Tea Party is very similar to the UK's alternative political voice, UKIP (who I'm a card carrying member of and volunteer on behalf of). Even if the current Tea Party is forced to disolve out of either financial mismanagement or an idealogical split, their core ideals will resurface in the near future in some form or another.

Yeah, they could come back as....Nazis or the KKK...:lol:

Only to the diseased mind of the typical modern American liberal drone would REACHING for the VERY THING they campaigned to achieve constitute "over-reaching."

You mean like the retards who flipped their lids over the stimulus and HRC despite them being a major focus point of the Obama campaign?

Game over, owned, stop, give up....

According to Paul, a Tea Party conservative, the proposal will bring spending to the “historic average since World War II” in just one year. He further claims the budget achieves a $19 billion surplus by FY2016 and will bring all non-military discretionary spending back to FY2008 levels.

Sen. Paul Unveils 5-Year Budget Plan: Eliminates Four Federal Agencies - The Note

Yes, but they'll likely not face any consequences.

Holding the Full Faith and Credit of the US hostage should have some sort of consequence, but the fact is that Obama is at this point likely to bypass Congress. That means the Tea Party won't see any real consequence of their actions.

It's also another example of how the GOP has become a failure politically. They were offered everything and the kitchen sink, and instead they held out for more. Now they're likely to get nothing. Obama will bypass and none of the spending cuts they want will ever see the light of day. This happened with Healthcare too, where if they'd even tried to come to the table they might have got something. Instead they held out and got nothing.

C'est La Vie. This is what happens when you put people who refuse to negotiate into power in a democracy. They get nothing. Democracy is all about the fine art of Compromise. The Constitution was built via compromise. Refusal to compromise means you get a seat at the kid's table and don't get to participate.

Yes, but they'll likely not face any consequences.

Holding the Full Faith and Credit of the US hostage should have some sort of consequence, but the fact is that Obama is at this point likely to bypass Congress. That means the Tea Party won't see any real consequence of their actions.

It's also another example of how the GOP has become a failure politically. They were offered everything and the kitchen sink, and instead they held out for more. Now they're likely to get nothing. Obama will bypass and none of the spending cuts they want will ever see the light of day. This happened with Healthcare too, where if they'd even tried to come to the table they might have got something. Instead they held out and got nothing.

C'est La Vie. This is what happens when you put people who refuse to negotiate into power in a democracy. They get nothing. Democracy is all about the fine art of Compromise. The Constitution was built via compromise. Refusal to compromise means you get a seat at the kid's table and don't get to participate.

Why Democrats don't want to tie the debt ceiling to the tax cuts
By Ezra Klein
Posted at 4:06 PM ET, 12/ 9/2010

What's important to understand about the debt-ceiling vote -- where Democrats and Republicans will either strike a deal to increase the Treasury's borrowing cap or the country will collapse into default -- is that it's not like Democrats have simply forgotten about it. It's not that they haven't realized that they could tie it to the tax cuts, which Republicans want and which will add $900 billion to the debt. It's that they simply don't want to. “Let the Republicans have some buy-in on the debt. They’re going to have a majority in the House,” said Harry Reid. “I don’t think it should be when we have a heavily Democratic Senate, heavily Democratic House and a Democratic president.”

The theory goes something like this: Republicans will demand sharp spending cuts in return for lifting the debt ceiling. Let them. "Boehner et al have had the luxury of proposing all sorts of ideas that bear no relation to reality," says Jim Manley, Reid's spokesman. "Next year, they’ll have to lay it all out. No more magic asterisks, no more 'we’ll get back to you.’ "

In this telling, the debt ceiling vote represents a trap for Republicans more than an opportunity for Democrats. If Republicans want to cut spending, now's their chance. But that means passing a package of spending cuts, which they may find less enjoyable than simply saying that Democrats should stop spending so much. And if the American people aren't supportive of the Republicans’ spending cuts, the GOP will be caught defending an unpopular package as part of a political gambit that could lead to the bankruptcy of the United State of America.

Ezra Klein - Why Democrats don't want to tie the debt ceiling to the tax cuts

A Default could send the Tea Party to the Dumpster.

Let’s hope there’s no default, and the TPM dispatched for bringing us near the brink.

No, they are our only hope for our future.

The TPM is a cancer upon the body politic – a foul malignancy destroying the foundation of the Republic. Its demise can’t come too soon.

I think the majority of the people in this country are now realizing the extreme nature of the Tea Party.

Truthfully, I don't mind the Tea Party's Platform of fiscal conservativeness. What I mind is the vitriol that they display on a regular basis that is even evident in this thread. It's as if no other opinion matters but theirs. That attitude, no matter where it's shown on the Ideological spectrum is bad for this country.

They need to stop and realize that all of us are Americans, we are all fellow countrymen and brothers. The pettiness, the venom and the downright hate needs to stop. We aren't in a schoolyard, we are supposed to be adults. I'm not saying that this is only a problem with the Tea Party, but they are by far the worst offenders of this kind of behavior.

That is my beef with the Tea Party. There is no room for bullies and assholes in our legislature. Hopefully, they'll learn their lesson and grow the hell up as a political party and learn to work with the rest of Congress instead of holding their breath till they get their way.

Like I said... I have no problem with their ultra conservative stance.

I really doubt it. The people are putting them there, and it maybe the republicans who hit the dumpster over this, they will get the blame.

Good point! I am wordering if the Tea Party is not an idea of some Democratic strategist to eliminate the GOP. It seems to be working well.

Game over, owned, stop, give up....

According to Paul, a Tea Party conservative, the proposal will bring spending to the “historic average since World War II” in just one year. He further claims the budget achieves a $19 billion surplus by FY2016 and will bring all non-military discretionary spending back to FY2008 levels.

Sen. Paul Unveils 5-Year Budget Plan: Eliminates Four Federal Agencies - The Note

I think the majority of the people in this country are now realizing the extreme nature of the Tea Party.

Truthfully, I don't mind the Tea Party's Platform of fiscal conservativeness. What I mind is the vitriol that they display on a regular basis that is even evident in this thread. It's as if no other opinion matters but theirs. That attitude, no matter where it's shown on the Ideological spectrum is bad for this country.

They need to stop and realize that all of us are Americans, we are all fellow countrymen and brothers. The pettiness, the venom and the downright hate needs to stop. We aren't in a schoolyard, we are supposed to be adults. I'm not saying that this is only a problem with the Tea Party, but they are by far the worst offenders of this kind of behavior.

That is my beef with the Tea Party. There is no room for bullies and assholes in our legislature. Hopefully, they'll learn their lesson and grow the hell up as a political party and learn to work with the rest of Congress instead of holding their breath till they get their way.

Part of the problem is that folks think the rhetoric that's made Rush Limbaugh money is going to also work in government.

Rush can afford to be idealistic and bombastic. He doesn't actually have any say in the process. However once you're in the game, you get no where on your own. At some point you have to come to agree with 217 other Representatives, 60 Senators, and 1 President of the United States. Being bombastic and uncompromising is no way to motivate 278 people to your side, nor is it likely to even win over most of the folks that voted for those 278 people.

Part of the problem is that folks think the rhetoric that's made Rush Limbaugh money is going to also work in government.

Rush can afford to be idealistic and bombastic. He doesn't actually have any say in the process. However once you're in the game, you get no where on your own. At some point you have to come to agree with 217 other Representatives, 60 Senators, and 1 President of the United States. Being bombastic and uncompromising is no way to motivate 278 people to your side, nor is it likely to even win over most of the folks that voted for those 278 people.

The Tea Party is going to do nothing but grow.....BO is already shaking in his golf shoes....

Excellent point, and I think that is a lot of it... and if it's not Rush, it's Beck, if it's not Beck, it's Hannity, if it's not Hannity, it's O'Reilly or Greta.

And yes... I know... Maddow, Olbermann, Shultz, etc.... but two wrongs don't make a right, does it?

The weird thing is... on Thursday, my wife and I went to Walden Books(subsidiary of Borders) at our local Mall. Borders is going out of business and everything was 20-40% off. I was browsing through the bargain bin and I found this book by Jimmy Carter called "Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis". I haven't read much of it yet... been pretty busy lately.... but it was written in 2005, and what struck me about it is that in the book, he speaks of fundamentalism and the blurring of the lines of religion and politics, and he expressed his concerns that that polarization and the possible effects of it on the country.

So I have mon/tues/wed off this week and i want to sit down and read it(if I can keep my obsessed ass out of this place(hehe), that is.

The Tea Party Movement will GAIN more force with a greater number of Congressmen come the fall of 2012.

There is a pitched battle coming.

It cannot be "led" by weak-willed old guard schmucks like Speaker Boehner.

Time to step aside.

In fact, it would be nice if he'd step down.

Forum List

Back