Has The House Violated The 14th Amendment?

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
The rightwingnut threads on the debt ceiling have made me wonder... the 14th Amendment is pretty clear in stating that "the validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insuurection or rebellion, shall not be questioned." Isn't what the House is doing, in undermining the full faith and credit of the U.S. government, a violation of that provision?

The rightwingnut threads on the debt ceiling have made me wonder... the 14th Amendment is pretty clear in stating that "the validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insuurection or rebellion, shall not be questioned." Isn't what the House is doing, in undermining the full faith and credit of the U.S. government, a violation of that provision?

Nope.......

They have passed three bills.

Nope.......

linking it to things that are not passable..

think more instead of posting what you wish were true.

the FACT is that by dragging their butts and holding the country hostage to the rightwingnut agenda, they have very much undermined us financially. The question is, does it rise to the level of a constitutional violation?

Last edited:

Again, SCOTUS has ruled that Congress has the authority to question the validity and to repudiate the debt if they so choose:

"Mr. Justice McREYNOLDS, dissenting.

Mr. Justice VAN DEVANTER, Mr. Justice SUTHERLAND, Mr. Justice BUTLER, and I conclude that, if given effect, the enactments here challenged will bring about confiscation of property rights and repudiation of national obligations. Acquiescence in the decisions just announced is impossible; the circumstances demand statement of our views. 'To let oneself slide down the easy slope offered by the course of events and to dull one's mind against the extent of the danger, ... that is precisely to fail in one's obligation of responsibility.'

Just men regard repudiation and spoliation of citizens by their sovereign with abhorrence; but we are asked to affirm that the Constitution has granted power to accomplish both. No definite delegation of such a power exists; and we cannot believe the farseeing framers, who labored with hope of establishing justice and securing the blessings of liberty, intended that the expected government should have authority to annihilate its own obligations and destroy the very rights which they were endeavoring to protect. Not only is there no permission for such actions; they are [316-Continued.]"

U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. v. BANKERS' TRUST CO., 294 U.S. 240 (1935)

FindLaw | Cases and Codes

Makes sense to me.

Again, SCOTUS has ruled that Congress has the authority to question the validity and to repudiate the debt if they so choose:

Mr. Justice VAN DEVANTER, Mr. Justice SUTHERLAND, Mr. Justice BUTLER, and I conclude that, if given effect, the enactments here challenged will bring about confiscation of property rights and repudiation of national obligations. Acquiescence in the decisions just announced is impossible; the circumstances demand statement of our views. 'To let oneself slide down the easy slope offered by the course of events and to dull one's mind against the extent of the danger, ... that is precisely to fail in one's obligation of responsibility.'

Just men regard repudiation and spoliation of citizens by their sovereign with abhorrence; but we are asked to affirm that the Constitution has granted power to accomplish both. No definite delegation of such a power exists; and we cannot believe the farseeing framers, who labored with hope of establishing justice and securing the blessings of liberty, intended that the expected government should have authority to annihilate its own obligations and destroy the very rights which they were endeavoring to protect. Not only is there no permission for such actions; they are [316-Continued.]"

U.S. Supreme Court

one more time... those are dissents and not the ruling of the court.

Nope.......

linking it to things that are not passable..

think more instead of posting what you wish were true.

the FACT is that by dragging their butts and holding the country hostage to the rightwingnut agenda, they have very much undermined us financially. The question is, does it rise to the level of a constitutional violation?

They did the job. Time for dems to put the credit card away and suck it up and grow a spine.

Jillian last year the democrats didn't even have a budget, do you really want to go there?

U.S. Supreme Court

one more time ....learn to read and comprehend the English language.

The dissenters were objecting to the majority's decision , which ruled that Congress can question the validity of a debt; the Fourteenth Amendment notwithstanding, And that they can repudiate the same if they so choose.

Jillian last year the democrats didn't even have a budget, do you really want to go there?

The current discussions........

Democrats trying to go with business as usual and not produce a budget. AGAIN

NO.. what the house is attempting to do is keep the US solvent and protect it from the unsustained debt you dimocrats insist on having.. what is your idea of how high the debt ceiling should be?????? 100 trillion.. if not now? when? you tell us

nice talking point. however, non sequitur. the debt ceiling issue has nothing to do with passing a budget.

once again...

The minority should never have such power again to shove financial ruin on the country for their historically failed ideas

it's been over 800 days since the dimocrats produced a budget,, see? they don't want a budget, to have a budget implies they must live within their budget,, they don't wants em no damn budget.

nice talking point. however, non sequitur. the debt ceiling issue has nothing to do with passing a budget.

once again...

Then why are democrats suggesting a budget be deemed passed in negotiations?

1) The debt in question was incurred in suppressing the confederacy, which is clear from the text.
2) the key phrase is "authorized by law." Right now the law is there can be no debt authorized over a certain amount. There is a specific law against it. Any debt incurred over that limit is not authorized by law. QED.

U.S. Supreme Court

OH I see this case was about Roosevelts gold confiscation.

You do realize that is the Superme court had been doing it's job and protecting individuals rights the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 would and should have been ruled unconstitutional and repealed.

once again...

How high should it be? and remember only 50% of the population pays Federal Income Tax.. so how high should it bee?? what do you leeches want?

U.S. Supreme Court

OH I see this case was about Roosevelts gold confiscation.

You do realize that is the Superme court had been doing it's job and protecting individuals rights the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 would and should have been ruled unconstitutional and repealed.

it doesn't really matter what you *think* the court should have done, hon. I *think* Breyer's dissent in Heller was correct. That and $2.00 will get me on a subway.

Forum List

Back