Has the .300 Winchester Magnum replaced the .308 Winchester as standard sniper rifle?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
I am reading conflicting stories dating back almost 10 years, some saying that the Army and Marines have replaced the .308 Winchester with the .300 Winchester Magnum as their standard sniper rifle because it increases the maximum effective range from 900 meters to 1200 meters (about 1300 yards). However, I have been told by others that military snipers almost never shoot past 500 yards and the military has never actually started issuing sniper rifles chambered for .300 WM because of that.

Have the Army and/or Marines actually replaced the .308 with the .300 WM as the standard sniper rifle?

Hell no. That round sucks.

The extreme neckdown sucks balls. I'm a 30-.06 man myself.
Military is .06 or .308

I am reading conflicting stories dating back almost 10 years, some saying that the Army and Marines have replaced the .308 Winchester with the .300 Winchester Magnum as their standard sniper rifle because it increases the maximum effective range from 900 meters to 1200 meters (about 1300 yards). However, I have been told by others that military snipers almost never shoot past 500 yards and the military has never actually started issuing sniper rifles chambered for .300 WM because of that.

Have the Army and/or Marines actually replaced the .308 with the .300 WM as the standard sniper rifle?

Bad idea. Standardization of ammunition is probably the best way to go, seeing as how the 7.62x51mm is used in more than one weapon. Too many calibers can cause a clusterfuck.

Bad idea. Standardization of ammunition is probably the best way to go, seeing as how the 7.62x51mm is used in more than one weapon. Too many calibers can cause a clusterfuck.

7.62x51=.308

I trained on a very peculiar rifle in the AF. It was a M741A. Those puppies are very rare. They were rare when they were made. Based on the Remington 741A 300 HandH Magnum. Bull Barrel, heavy stock with a 20 power scope. Good for out to past 1000 yds. Trust me, anyone can train out to 800 yds but past that, it's a whole new world. That Rifle was made in both forms from 1959 to 1964. What ended it was the fact that it wasn't a standard caliber like the 308s were. It was a better rifle than the M-20, 22 and 24 but it lost out. today, the only time you find one is in a museum or a gun collection.

I trained on a very peculiar rifle in the AF. It was a M741A. Those puppies are very rare. They were rare when they were made. Based on the Remington 741A 300 HandH Magnum. Bull Barrel, heavy stock with a 20 power scope. Good for out to past 1000 yds. Trust me, anyone can train out to 800 yds but past that, it's a whole new world. That Rifle was made in both forms from 1959 to 1964. What ended it was the fact that it wasn't a standard caliber like the 308s were. It was a better rifle than the M-20, 22 and 24 but it lost out. today, the only time you find one is in a museum or a gun collection.
:worthless:

both these military style rifles/calibers are very effective in their own right and perfectly acceptable when you need to kill something or someone from a distance

as the old sniper said,,

" dont run or you will only die tired"

Apparently Navy Seals prefer the .338 Lapua caliber. It was apparently used effectively to puncture the glass and take out the Somali pirates who kidnapped Capt. Philips. It's interesting that the argument doesn't include Seals who used to be the darlings of the pop media (and the CIA). Maybe the Seal glory days are over since the current President prefers to use the Army and the Marine leadership and let the Navy drive the boats.

Apparently Navy Seals prefer the .338 Lapua caliber. It was apparently used effectively to puncture the glass and take out the Somoli pirates who kidnapped Capt. Philips. It's interesting that the argument doesn't include Seals who used to be the darlings of the pop media (and the CIA). Maybe the Seal glory days are over since the current President prefers to use the Army and the Marine leadership and let the Navy drive the boats.

Special Operations (which includes Delta Force, Green Berets, Force Recon, Seals and more) are all under one roof. This also includes some Air Force Units. This "Unit" pretty well gets their pick of weapons they use for the most part. You will see quite a few non standard weapons that won't be in the mainstream military. If they wanted to go into combat with a Hamilton Beach Blender then they would get a Hamilton Beach Blender with a 40 round mag complete with a grenade launcher.

Apparently Navy Seals prefer the .338 Lapua caliber. It was apparently used effectively to puncture the glass and take out the Somoli pirates who kidnapped Capt. Philips. It's interesting that the argument doesn't include Seals who used to be the darlings of the pop media (and the CIA). Maybe the Seal glory days are over since the current President prefers to use the Army and the Marine leadership and let the Navy drive the boats.

Special Operations (which includes Delta Force, Green Berets, Force Recon, Seals and more) are all under one roof. This also includes some Air Force Units. This "Unit" pretty well gets their pick of weapons they use for the most part. You will see quite a few non standard weapons that won't be in the mainstream military. If they wanted to go into combat with a Hamilton Beach Blender then they would get a Hamilton Beach Blender with a 40 round mag complete with a grenade launcher.
Which roof are they under?

Which roof are they under?

SOCOM

Forum List

Back