Has Rush killed Right Wing Radio?

Has Rush Limbaugh killed all right-wing radio? - The Week

. Late last week, the liberal website Media Matters posted a list of 51 sponsors who have purportedly withdrawn their advertising from Rush Limbaugh's nationally syndicated radio show because of his remarks about Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke. But a new memo from Clear Channel's Premier Networks, which distributes Limbaugh's show, suggests that those numbers are just the tip of the iceberg. Premier is reportedly informing its stations that 98 major advertisers — including carmakers, insurance companies, and fast-food chains — want off not just Limbaugh's show but also those of other "offensive or controversial" talkers like Mark Levin, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, and Sean Hannity. Is it possible that Limbaugh's latest intemperate rant will "kill" the right-wing talk radio genre he helped pioneer?

Not surprising that sponsors would want to avoid alienating potential customers. But I personally would like to hear robust debate on the issues of the day. Certainly Limbaugh has pushed me away from his point of view far more than he has pushed me toward it, but it is still political sspeech

see the oxycontin on the table ;)

rushlacey.jpg

. Late last week, the liberal website Media Matters posted a list of 51 sponsors who have purportedly withdrawn their advertising from Rush Limbaugh's nationally syndicated radio show because of his remarks about Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke. But a new memo from Clear Channel's Premier Networks, which distributes Limbaugh's show, suggests that those numbers are just the tip of the iceberg. Premier is reportedly informing its stations that 98 major advertisers — including carmakers, insurance companies, and fast-food chains — want off not just Limbaugh's show but also those of other "offensive or controversial" talkers like Mark Levin, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, and Sean Hannity. Is it possible that Limbaugh's latest intemperate rant will "kill" the right-wing talk radio genre he helped pioneer?

Not surprising that sponsors would want to avoid alienating potential customers. But I personally would like to hear robust debate on the issues of the day. Certainly Limbaugh has pushed me away from his point of view far more than he has pushed me toward it, but it is still political sspeech
Oct 18, 2010
RUSH: Michelle (My Butt) -- uh, Michelle (My Belle) Obama is out there talking about nutrition. You can't eat that, you shouldn't eat that.

Nov 2, 2010
RUSH: His wife, Michelle (My Butt) -- uh, uh, Michelle (My Belle) Obama, she's out there, and she's not drawing big crowds and she's not happy

Nov 8, 2010
RUSH: The premise held up: On his 'convenience store diet' --" now, remember, this is what Michelle (My Butt) -- uh, that's the second time I've ...

November 02, 2011
RUSH: So the First Linebacker... (sigh). The First Lady and the Bamster are now gonna have to go out to Colorado and lecture them for being greedy.

October 28, 2011
RUSH: Well, the first linebacker is -- ah, First Lady is on the campaign trail.

Hardly....

:cuckoo:

"It's been one year since Rush Limbaugh's invective-filled tirade against then-Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke. With hundreds of advertisers and millions of dollars lost, the business of right-wing radio is suffering, but Rush Limbaugh continues to act as if it were business as usual, which is why Limbaugh is still bad for business.

On February 29, 2012, Rush Limbaugh initiated a three-day smear campaign against Sandra Fluke, launching 46 personal attacks against her. This moment and Limbaugh's subsequent refusal to apologize for, or even acknowledge, all but two of those attacks put the spotlight on the right-wing talk business model that Limbaugh helped construct.

During the following weeks, headlines tracked in near real-time the names of advertisers exiting Limbaugh's show as pundits and natterers speculated about Limbaugh's future. As so often happens, the buzz faded and the news cycle rolled on. But the consequences didn't fade, they intensified. This is due in large part to scores of independent organizers, like the Flush Rush and the #StopRush community.

Cumulus CEO Lew Dickey signaled the toxicity of Limbaugh's business model as well as industry adaptation in a recent interview with Bloomberg TV, saying: "We're sort of seeing a shift in spoken-word radio from political-based talk over to sports." Sports radio is popular with advertisers, Dickey explained, and "people may be a bit tired of all the partisan bickering."

One year out from the attacks on Fluke, we see that Limbaugh's business model is not just bad for business, it's breaking talk radio.

And, onward we go..."

493.gif
825.gif
493.gif
825.gif
493.gif
825.gif
493.gif

bwaaa haaa haaaaa !! ask npr !!

LOL..... I seldom listen but they are not going anywhere soon.

Rush resurrected radio from obscurity. It's a shame that the radical left couldn't latch on to the prosperity but that's the way the system works when the government isn't involved. Try it again libs. Maybe Barry can free up some taxpayer money to support propaganda and lies.

Forum List

Back