has our democracy failed?

Complete nonsense. We are just going through a dificult time in our economy. If we all pitch in and help, this will pass.

we are a Democracy and will be a stronger one when you people are fully punished for your lies

We all know the Buffett Rule wouldn't solve our deficit, but the idea that rich people are paying their share too sure makes me feel better about my government.

The reason our democracy might be failing is that sheep such as yourself buy into such Leftist nonsense without the slightest critical analysis.

Okay, let's do some critical thinking. We are operating the federal government on 14% of GDP, which is a solid 4% below historical averages for the past 80 years. We know and have known that costs would increase with an aging population, so keeping federal spending at 18% was going to be difficult at best. Now, due to many wars and conflicts along with a higher need for security here at home, total defense spending has slowly increased to approximately 6% of GDP. This includes money allocated to the DOD, Homeland Security, and Veteran's Affairs. Social Security and Medicare spending has now jumped to nearly 9% of GDP. So, just with Defense, SS, and Medicare, we are at close to 15% of GDP with revenues at 14% of GDP. We haven't even begun to pay for anything else, but guess what Republicans want to do? They want to cut taxes. Yes, we heard that right. Even though taxes and the resulting revenues are the lowest in the past 60 plus years, Republicans want to cut taxes even more.

The best part of the argument for cutting taxes further is that is stimulates the economy and that by lowering taxes, we will create greater revenue. So let's see how well that works. We tried it with the Bush tax cuts and what happened? When Bush took office, tax revenues were over 20% of GDP. Then Bush cut taxes. Now revenues are barely above 14% of GDP. So where is the critical thinking on this?

Here is the most interesting thing about the Bush tax cuts. When they were put into place, it was understood that they would be temporary but would remain so long as they did not adversely affect revenues. If revenues dropped, then the old tax rates would be reinstated, and this was agreed upon by Republicans. But what has happened now? Instead of going back to the old rates because revenue has dropped horribly, Republicans are telling us that what we actually need is more of the same failed tax cuts that helped get us into this mess. Really, are you fucking kidding me?

Someone shoots me and it hurts, I'm bleeding out and dying. Then someone comes along and tells me they can heal me and make me feel better, and I will not die. All they need to do is shoot me again.

Democracy is not so much a system of government but an activity to be treasured and nurtured by any freedom loving state. Telling the People that their voice in government is corrosive is not really what America should ever be about. This "not a democracy but a republic" thing is a fascist cop-out.

hmmmm , are you saying the republicans in the senate fought for it?
Who the fuck cares if they did not . Some Dems also voted against it as well.. You guys have control of two parts the Executive branch everything is the REP fault. It was also the REP fault when you had control of all 3 right:cuckoo:

you care you posted here.

You see it does matter what side they take on these issues
Hey , why dont you ask Harry Reid why they have not come up with ANY budget in over 1000 days even when YOUR GUYS controlled all 3 parts for 2 years:cuckoo:

At the time of this nation's founding, Ben Franklin knew how it would end. He saw it as being inevitable.

Speech of Benjamin Franklin - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other

We have reached that time.

I don't think we have reached that time. I just think we are getting close.

Which is precisely why we need to repent of our sins and eliminate the corruption in our lives as individuals and as a people. So that perhaps God will have mercy on us and that through the hand of Divine providence we will once again be set up on this continent as a free people.

Tics like you are the ones who aren't paying their fair share. The rich pay the bulk of all taxes in this country. All the "Buffet rule" is going to do is tax away capital investment. That means slower growth and fewer jobs.

The "Buffet Rule" is a cheap sleazy scam, and only imbeciles are falling for it.

I don't see all that capital being invested for jobs in the US by the majority of rich people. I do see that the rich are still hiring illegas and moving jobs and bank accounts offshore.

I have serious doubts that the super-rich have invested in any meaningful, lasting way in America for at least 15 years, probably longer.

Maybe you should consider not screwing investors over and start deregulating instead then.

Democracy is not so much a system of government but an activity to be treasured and nurtured by any freedom loving state. Telling the People that their voice in government is corrosive is not really what America should ever be about. This "not a democracy but a republic" thing is a fascist cop-out.

So you can't argue the issue on the merits, so you're resortng to calling your opponents fascists, despite the fact that you have more in common with fascists than any limited government conservative ever will.

At the time of this nation's founding, Ben Franklin knew how it would end. He saw it as being inevitable.

Speech of Benjamin Franklin - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other

We have reached that time.

I don't think we have reached that time. I just think we are getting close.

Which is precisely why we need to repent of our sins and eliminate the corruption in our lives as individuals and as a people. So that perhaps God will have mercy on us and that through the hand of Divine providence we will once again be set up on this continent as a free people.

We are so close that all remaining is the name the despot and obama is sure it will be him.

Has our democracy been completely taken over by the wealthy?

According to a recent CNN/ORC poll, 72% of Americans favor the 'Buffett Rule"

Budget/Taxes

but yet the Republicans in the Senate defeated it.

We all know the Buffett Rule wouldn't solve our deficit, but the idea that rich people are paying their share too sure makes me feel better about my government.

We're a Republic.

Okay, let's do some critical thinking.

Damn, you lost ALL the ones that claim to be todays version of Republicans (at least here).

But I agree with you. If the Repubs had any success to point out from the period of the Bush cuts forward, then maybe I would listen. But more of the same? No thanks.

It isn't rocket science that we need to cut spending and increase income. Both.

But I read today (Politico) that to avoid the cuts to military spending that Rethugs agreed to last year, the Rethugs are wanting to cut food stamps instead. Guess people that get food stamps have a shitty lobbyist.

So you can't argue the issue on the merits, so you're resortng to calling your opponents fascists, despite the fact that you have more in common with fascists than any limited government conservative ever will.

Fascists despise democracy. You cannot square your hatred of democracy with anything other than fascism because everything else at least pays lip service.

Forum List

Back