Has Anyone?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
This being the Philosophy Forum I thought it would be fair to ask: how many of y'all have actually studied Philosophy formally? It's an interesting topic to discuss in any case, and no particular credentialing is required to participate in a venue such as this, of course. Just wondering who has, and what their experience of it was like.

I did an A level evening class in philosophy a few years ago. I found it a good base of knowledge, but studying old theories that have already been superseded can be confusing. As the course progresses you find what you have been studying initially has subsequently been proved false.

In fact It has been said that modern cosmology has made philosophy obsolete, and all that is left for philosophers to do is analyze language, because they cannot keep up with advances in physics.

I am credentialed by life experience.

... and reading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'.

I did an A level evening class in philosophy a few years ago. I found it a good base of knowledge, but studying old theories that have already been superseded can be confusing. As the course progresses you find what you have been studying initially has subsequently been proved false.

In fact It has been said that modern cosmology has made philosophy obsolete, and all that is left for philosophers to do is analyze language, because they cannot keep up with advances in physics.

Seems you were not paying attention in class.

Seems you were not paying attention in class.

I stink therefore I am. I think therefore I drink.

I've studied economics formally and have an advanced degree in the subject. I've studied economic history and in particular, libertarian/classical liberalism philosophy extensively and have consumed many, many books on the subject. I've read a few philosophically based novels (Zen and the Art, Moby Dick, Crime and Punishment, Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, etc). Among the ancient philosophers, I'm particularly fond of Lao-Tzu. The only general philosophy book I ever read was A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell.

This being the Philosophy Forum I thought it would be fair to ask: how many of y'all have actually studied Philosophy formally? It's an interesting topic to discuss in any case, and no particular credentialing is required to participate in a venue such as this, of course. Just wondering who has, and what their experience of it was like.

Does expertise in 'Murphy's Law' count?

Does expertise in 'Murphy's Law' count?

It sure seems to count in the real world!

I took one class in college. 35 years ago.

Do you recall which class? Or was it a general 'Intro to -' sort of thing?

Pretty sure it was an Intro class. One of those core requirements of underclassmen.
I more remember Doc Penn. He was a character. Always running his hand through his hair. He had quite a mop top. I remember on a test comparing a particular philosophical argument to a quote from Popeye. "I am what I am and that's all that I am". He didn't get it. Nor did he appreciate it LOL.

Last edited:
I took one class in college. 35 years ago.

Do you recall which class? Or was it a general 'Intro to -' sort of thing?

Pretty sure it was an Intro class. One of those core requirements of underclassmen.
I more remember Doc Penn. He was a character. Always running his hand through his hair. He had quite a mop top. I remember on a test comparing a particular philosophical argument to a quote from Popeye. "I am what I am and that's all that I am". He didn't get it. Nor did he appreciate it LOL.

The eccentric ones don't always have the sense of humor you'd think they would.

One formal class as an undergraduate (I was 17 at the time). At least it was an honors section. Lots of Kierkkegard. A course in formal logic in the speech department, and Boolean algebra in the math department. Covered the Philosophical Radicals in a British history course. Have been a voracious reader and bibliophile since eighth grade and largely acquired a traditional liberal education through independent reading.

And you?

One formal class as an undergraduate (I was 17 at the time). At least it was an honors section. Lots of Kierkkegard. A course in formal logic in the speech department, and Boolean algebra in the math department. Covered the Philosophical Radicals in a British history course. Have been a voracious reader and bibliophile since eighth grade and largely acquired a traditional liberal education through independent reading.

And you?

I have a bachelor's degree in Philosophy. Declared as a Pol Sci major, eventually took a few Philosophy electives and liked it. So, in addition to my degree program (and working 3 part-time jobs, training for athletics 6+hrs/day, and of course chasing girls) I took extra courses until, at the end of 4 years, I had enough credits for two full BA degrees.

images

Given that I am alone most of the time, I do have the time to ponder it. But no, I haven't studied it formally.

Religion and philosophy were required at the Catholic University Daddy paid for, so I took 2 philosophy and one religion. And an Ethics, to boot.

My first hubby had a philosophy course from a professional jazz musician and loved that perspective. I can see see where that would be an awesome course.

I found religion trite and boring but enjoyed philosophy and found ethics useful in my career as an educator.

Regards from Rosie

And you?

I have a bachelor's degree in Philosophy. Declared as a Pol Sci major, eventually took a few Philosophy electives and liked it. So, in addition to my degree program (and working 3 part-time jobs, training for athletics 6+hrs/day, and of course chasing girls) I took extra courses until, at the end of 4 years, I had enough credits for two full BA degrees.
Let's see some proof.

Forum List

Back