Has anyone tried to turn Sony Play station 3 into desktop runing Linux Yellow Dog.?

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
I read recently that you can get a Linux software called Yellow Dog, load it onto your Sony
Play Station 3, and turn it into a really good desktop computer.? Something about
the Cell broadband engine 2 CPU runing nine cores, that makes it into a great desktop computer?.
Anyone with info on this.
The company selling the software is called "terrasoft solutions" ?

Considering Yellow Dog is and open source distribution, why would you want to pay for it?

It's probably the handshake between the two that costs money. I doubt the source will find the hardware and have the proprietary Sony made drivers so there would be a lot of testing and recompiling of the kernel if you wanted to access the Sony hardware, if it could be done.

I wonder if this company is working in conjunction with Sony?

A GPU would run reduced instruction set compilations pretty quickly and many of them with such a highly cored unit. It makes sense.

Considering Yellow Dog is and open source distribution, why would you want to pay for it?

It's probably the handshake between the two that costs money. I doubt the source will find the hardware and have the proprietary Sony made drivers so there would be a lot of testing and recompiling of the kernel if you wanted to access the Sony hardware, if it could be done.

A GPU would run reduced instruction set compilations pretty quickly and many of them with such a highly cored unit. It makes sense.

Not always.

Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 for PS3 now available for free -- how is it? -- Engadget

YDL.net

Installing Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 on PS3 - Softpedia

It does look like they sell it pre-installed on PS3 consoles, IBM workstations and servers.

Yellow Dog Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See excerpt below.
(Yellow Dog Linux is sold by Fixstars who also market Sony PlayStation 3 consoles, IBM workstations, and servers with Yellow Dog Linux pre-installed. As is the case with most other Linux distribution vendors, a portion of the revenue from the sale of these boxed distributions goes toward development of the Linux operating system and applications, the results of which are made available as source code under various free and open source licenses.
As an interesting application of YDL on PlayStation 3 consoles: Dr. Gaurav Khanna, a professor in the Physics Department of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth built a message-passing based cluster using 16 PS3s. This cluster was the first such cluster that generated published scientific results. Dubbed as the "PS3 Gravity Grid", this PS3 cluster performs astrophysical simulations of large supermassive black holes capturing smaller compact objects [3]. Khanna claims that the cluster's performance exceeds that of a 100+ Intel Xeon core based traditional Linux cluster on his simulations. The PS3 Gravity Grid gathered significant media attention through 2007 [4][5], 2008 [6][7], 2009 [8][9][10] and 2010 [11][12].}

Not always.

Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 for PS3 now available for free -- how is it? -- Engadget

YDL.net

Installing Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 on PS3 - Softpedia

It does look like they sell it pre-installed on PS3 consoles, IBM workstations and servers.

Yellow Dog Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See excerpt below.
(Yellow Dog Linux is sold by Fixstars who also market Sony PlayStation 3 consoles, IBM workstations, and servers with Yellow Dog Linux pre-installed. As is the case with most other Linux distribution vendors, a portion of the revenue from the sale of these boxed distributions goes toward development of the Linux operating system and applications, the results of which are made available as source code under various free and open source licenses.
As an interesting application of YDL on PlayStation 3 consoles: Dr. Gaurav Khanna, a professor in the Physics Department of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth built a message-passing based cluster using 16 PS3s. This cluster was the first such cluster that generated published scientific results. Dubbed as the "PS3 Gravity Grid", this PS3 cluster performs astrophysical simulations of large supermassive black holes capturing smaller compact objects [3]. Khanna claims that the cluster's performance exceeds that of a 100+ Intel Xeon core based traditional Linux cluster on his simulations. The PS3 Gravity Grid gathered significant media attention through 2007 [4][5], 2008 [6][7], 2009 [8][9][10] and 2010 [11][12].}

Yes, I was pretty sure that Sony had to be in the cycle as it has no problem creating drivers and the multi-cored GPU should logically (I've never tested it) run the Linux kernel very well. I even said it made sense to me. Wasn't sure and wasn't going to research. Just seemed to make sense.

:)

Why would you do this?

There are plenty of good used desktops you can use. Or build one yourself. Both solutions work out to be cheaper then ruining your PS3.

I saw in a technical forum that if you place the PS3 in a 1,500 watt microwave for 3 seconds, it will outperform a Dell XPS with an i7 processor.

I shit you not. Give it a try. Go on, you know you want to.

Forum List

Back