Has anyone here actually met a member of the federal government?

Originally posted by insein
I feel dirty having heard that. Not the good kind of dirty. the dirty like Ace ventura trying to clean himself in a parody of the Crying game kind of dirty.

Maybe because you were thinking the same thing... ?

Responding to original question. My aunt and uncle both work for the state department.

would anyone be impressed to know I met Dwight Eisenhower (now you know just how old I am)

Originally posted by NewGuy
You've done Barbara Bush?

Ha-ha. I used to love that SNL skit where Barbara would get mistaken for Bush(41)'s mother. Kinda fucked up, but, good comedy can be ruthless...

As far as the highest ranking member of government I've met, Tony Knowles(sp?)was a classmate of my fathers (and Dubya.) I've met him a couple of times. Quite a nice guy, though it was just small talk really that we made.
He is the Governor of Alaska, currently in his 2nd term I believe, and about to run for Senator.

So, what was Barbie like?

Originally posted by Bern80
Responding to original question. My aunt and uncle both work for the state department.

Regarding your sig....I thought it was Denny Crane?

I guess my answer would be "no."

However, even though George Will is only the most intelligent human ever to live but not a public office holder, I was able, while attending UNC, to snag an illegal ticket to a speech which he gave at the business school. After the speech, I finally gathered enough courage to go up & ask him to autograph my copy of "The Leveling Wind." Well, he said "yes," I handed him the pen, he signed, and before he walked away he said something to me which totally changed my life: "Here's your pen back."

LOL---Hey! See, this wasn't a huge, 1000 seta event. It, by design, was a VERY small happening, and I was just lucky to even get INTO the place that night, though my tactics will remain a secret.

As for an elected official, back when I was a radical liberal and in charge of the [1992]Draft Mario Cuomo for President campaign, I semi-regularly spoke with liberal columnist, Joe Klein. Though he kindly refused to give me a direct phone number to his, Cuomo's, office, he did give me a special address, where I could write him & he would physically get it that day. So, after I wrote him a lengthy letter about how Bill Clinton was a scumbag- we in the Cuomo campaign knew about The Slick One before 99% of America- and how he, Mario, had to accept a draft at the convention. Well, he wrote me back a very kind & gracious letter, thanking me for all of my doomed hard work. Though after that I soon started to see the light & became a Gingrich- Republican, I still have it framed, on my wall, and still very proud that I got a personal letter from such an upstanding man, even though his politics are dead wrong.

So, I have never met a famous elected official, but I just thought those two stories were worth telling.

Originally posted by Zhukov
Barbara Bush is not now, nor was she ever, a member of the Federal Government.

Good point, First Lady doesn't really count does she.
Whether you fucked her or not:rolleyes:

Clinton drove past me at Logan once....the Air Force One was there with two and a half million security....he was in a dark car...I was in a white car...I did not wave...I was impressed though....with the aircraft....that is it for me.

I would have wanted to meet Sony Bono...this man is my idol..he went from a man as poor as a church mouse to a singing sensation with his wife, a television star...he became a hasbeen but made a comback as a mayor and then a congressman...he dies and is saluted with the American flag at half staff....for a short man who lived a short life, he sure packed it all in!!!

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
Jimmy Carter.

Poor ole Jimmy Carter....I was a fan of his and I still am....I know he wasn't a good president but I feel today as I did then , that he tried, he really did what he thought was best for the country.
But when the election came around I went with Reagan.

Originally posted by winston churchi
Poor ole Jimmy Carter....I was a fan of his and I still am....I know he wasn't a good president but I feel today as I did then , that he tried, he really did what he thought was best for the country.
But when the election came around I went with Reagan.

Good intentions, but a DISASTEROUS PRESIDENT.

I was interning at a TV station a couple years ago when Al and Tipper came through our area. I didn't speak with him (my then-fiance-now-husband did) but I was at the small regional airport doing a live-shot when he left. Kinda cool with the security everywhere. My husband said Tipper had so much make-up on her face would crack if she stopped smiling for a second. (Wishful thinking.)

Forum List

Back