Has anyone been diagnosed with H. Pylori?

jgbkab

Relieved
Oct 28, 2008
SC
I've been having this sort of burning, gassy feeling in my abdomen for about a month or two. It was never really painful or that noticeable until a week ago. I was in excruciating pain last Friday after eating spaghetti and drinking a beer. Seems like the bacteria caused an ulcer. Well, I was prescribed a Prevpac and that is the worst thing ever. I've taken two doses and now I'm certain I can never take another one. The doctor initially prescribed Zantac 150 until the tests came back positive and that actually had me pain free for a few days. There is this constant pain in my abdomen since starting the Prevpac and I haven't taken a dose since 7 a.m. this morning. Has anyone had any similar experiences with Prevacid, Biaxin or Amoxicillin?

I've been having this sort of burning, gassy feeling in my abdomen for about a month or two. It was never really painful or that noticeable until a week ago. I was in excruciating pain last Friday after eating spaghetti and drinking a beer. Seems like the bacteria caused an ulcer. Well, I was prescribed a Prevpac and that is the worst thing ever. I've taken two doses and now I'm certain I can never take another one. The doctor initially prescribed Zantac 150 until the tests came back positive and that actually had me pain free for a few days. There is this constant pain in my abdomen since starting the Prevpac and I haven't taken a dose since 7 a.m. this morning. Has anyone had any similar experiences with Prevacid, Biaxin or Amoxicillin?

I've never had it, but I've prescribed it.

Biaxin in particular can be rather nasty on the GI tract for some people.

How were you diagnosed with H pylori? Was it by blood test or did you have an endoscopy with biopsy?

Is the pain that you have with Prevpac different than what you had initially? Like I said before, the pain you have now might just be intolerance to biaxin. I'd suggest you run it by your doc to see if they want to change. Prevacid-Biaxin-Amox is the usual treatment, but there are some other med combination options that you could try.

I've never had it, but I've prescribed it.

Biaxin in particular can be rather nasty on the GI tract for some people.

How were you diagnosed with H pylori? Was it by blood test or did you have an endoscopy with biopsy?

Is the pain that you have with Prevpac different than what you had initially? Like I said before, the pain you have now might just be intolerance to biaxin. I'd suggest you run it by your doc to see if they want to change. Prevacid-Biaxin-Amox is the usual treatment, but there are some other med combination options that you could try.

The pain with the Prevpac is way worse than the initial pain. It is subsiding now after 15 hours of no meds. I am considering not taking it until I talk to the doctor again. I wish I had known this before I spent over $400 on it. Oh, I was diagnosed through the blood tests. I've still gotta have the endoscopy done but I haven't made the appointment yet.

Last edited:
It was the Biaxin. Left that pill in the foil pack last night and feel excellent this morning.

consider a diet and lifestyle change?

Yes, I have already. There's no telling where the bacteria comes from and many people supposedly live with it with no symptoms. But when I was informed that it may cause cancer is when I became worried.

Yeah, well I haven't had the barium test or the endoscopy yet so it's tentatively diagnosed as an ulcer. I a terribly afraid of cancer after seeing how my dad deteriorated once he was diagnosed with it.

we are all afraid of the big c....it took my father too...but you need to chill...stress aint helping with the situation....is it a bleeding ulcer?

o and chill on the cancer thing...hell doctors will tell you everything leads to cancer....they are just covering their asses....

An H. pylori infection is problematic in that it causes ulcers which are painful and dangerous in their own right. Doctors aren't exactly covering their asses on the cancer thing either:

Impact of Helicobacter pylori infection on gastric...[Arch Intern Med. 2000] - PubMed Result

At any rate, the outcome of gastric cancer is so bad, do you really want to play the odds?

we are all afraid of the big c....it took my father too...but you need to chill...stress aint helping with the situation....is it a bleeding ulcer?

No, it's not a bleeding ulcer thank God. But it was very painful at one point...however, the pain of the Biaxin took the pain of the actual ulcer down to a 2 on a 10 scale.

o and chill on the cancer thing...hell doctors will tell you everything leads to cancer....they are just covering their asses....

An H. pylori infection is problematic in that it causes ulcers which are painful and dangerous in their own right. Doctors aren't exactly covering their asses on the cancer thing either:

Impact of Helicobacter pylori infection on gastric...[Arch Intern Med. 2000] - PubMed Result

At any rate, the outcome of gastric cancer is so bad, do you really want to play the odds?

No, I'm not going to play thanks for asking.

you know sometimes i just wanna smack the shit outta people....

you know sometimes i just wanna smack the shit outta people....

Why? You are not giving out sound advice. Assuming Drs. bring up cancer to cover their own asses is a stretch. It's just good medicine to point out risk factors.

Since you had a problem with the NIH paper, perhaps we can agree the H. pylori is a risk factor based on what the American Cancer Society says:

Infection with Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria seems to be a major cause of stomach cancer, especially cancers in the lower (distal) part of the stomach. Long-term infection of the stomach with this germ may lead to inflammation (chronic atrophic gastritis) and pre-cancerous changes of the inner lining of the stomach. Patients with stomach cancer have a higher rate of infection than people without this cancer. H. pylori infection is also linked to some types of lymphoma of the stomach. Even so, the vast majority of people who carry this germ in their stomachs never develop cancer.

ACS :: What Are the Risk Factors for Stomach Cancer?

Stomach cancer is rare, even with H. pylori infection, but the point is: the outcome is so bad if you do have it, you don't want to play those odds when the problem is easily addressed with medication.

It was the Biaxin. Left that pill in the foil pack last night and feel excellent this morning.

I would still talk with your doc about alternative treatment. H pylori needs at least two antibiotics to be treated. If you only use the amox, you'll develop resistance.

I would still talk with your doc about alternative treatment. H pylori needs at least two antibiotics to be treated. If you only use the amox, you'll develop resistance.

Well if I develop it, I'm screwed as I'm allergic to both penicillins AND erythromycins. :eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back