Has any Republican President downsized government?

Who controlled Clinton's Congress?

Clinton's downsizing was the result of executive order, two years before Newt's lies took the stage. Nice try.

Here's a fun game. Tip O'Neil gave Reagan significantly less than he requested. That kept our national debt lower than it would have otherwise have been.

Military reduction. LOL BIG WHOOP. NOW WE HAVE TO HIRE CONTRACTORS.

God, you're dense. It was a 10% across the board cut to every agency, except NIH. It was an 18 month hiring freeze. But go with your bullshit, forgetting that the military cut was an ogoing program, started by GWH Bush, as a pragmatic cut after the fall of the Soviet Union. Are you really this clueless?

Because 300 million people are too many to control from one central location.

And make no mistake about it, that the current crowd of progressive goombahs in the District of Criminals are all about central control.

Miss out on that Civil War stuff?

It is because of a powerful Federal Government that the US moved from being a splintered agrarian economy to the most powerful military and economic power in history. FDR changed the US into a modern democracy and we haven't looked back since

"We" being most rational people. There are still those who long for the resurrection of the antebellum.

Has any Republican President downsized government?

Just wondering.

This should be easy.

Off hand..Clinton made the size of the Government smaller..

Now for the...

diversion_high_contrast_600.jpg

Who has the power of the purse?
Clinton changed his whole game plan after 1994.
And Newt Gingrich probably got Clinton re-elected.
Which Democrat Congress showed a surplus?
Revere said:
One if by land, two if by sea.
Revere said:
The British are coming!!!
Revere said:
LOOK! OVER THERE!!!
:scared1:

That was EPIC!!!

No....That's why there are guys like me calling them on their bullshit.

The only part of gubmint that Bubba made smaller, rather than merely slowing the presumed baseline increases, was in the military.

Pretty lame attempt, even for you.

And the Republican President that downsized goverment was?
There haven't been any since Coolidge, like I already said.

Reading for comprehension will really punch up your communication skills.

Dude, it's fucking "Swallow"...

He thinks the NY Slimes is unbiased journalism...

Welcome to USMB, Swallow...:lol:

Paradise isn't an option....Perfection isn't an option.

Next strawman?

Still waiting for you to identify a successful Libertarian government anywhere in the world....

Don't seem to be many flocking to the Libertarian ideals

Congress Controls spending. I know that doesn't fit nicely into the meme that the OP is pimping, but that's too fucking bad. The last Congress that shrunk government was Newt Gingrich's House and Bob Dole's Senate.

Congress Controls spending. I know that doesn't fit nicely into the meme that the OP is pimping, but that's too fucking bad. The last Congress that shrunk government was Newt Gingrich's House and Bob Dole's Senate.

Aside from cutting more money to combat international terrorism, what programs exactly did the '94-'00 GOP congress cut from Clinton's budget requests?

Last edited:

Next strawman?

Still waiting for you to identify a successful Libertarian government anywhere in the world....

America, for its first 150 years....And millions upon millions of people flocked to our shores.

Next?

Next strawman?

America, for its first 150 years....And millions upon millions of people flocked to our shores.

Next?

Ludite

America moved from a isolationist, agrarian based economy into the most powerful nation on earth since we abandoned your Libertarian nonsense.

FDR turned us into a modern Democracy....we are not going back

Okay..we have Harding/Coolidge..

Big deregulation guys..responsible for the "roaring twenties".

Anyone else?
Since then there really hasn't been any republican control of congress, which also seems to be the key to the reduction of the size of government since 1932.

bush and the republican congress?

Ohh wait Bush was not really a republican?
hmmmm is that going to be your argument?

Who was in charge of the senate during the W years, For the most part, yes, it was Republicans. But I'm remembering something important... something irritating...

>snap< oh that's right. Senate majority leader Tom Daschle thanks to Jumping Jim Jeffords, and the 'sharing' of power when it was in republican hands from 2001-2003.

So I was wrong. the GOP only controlled the house from 1994-2007 ultimately, and took it back control of the senate BRIEFLY in 2003 till 2007. My bad. Oh wait... not my bad. YOUR bad.

Last edited:
So I guess it's pretty apparent to people that are clear thinking. Many presidents have actually campaigned on lowering spending..and shrinking the government..but few actually do it. The last time these "austerity", "laissez-faire" methods were actually implemented it had horrific effects in the form of the great depression. America has seen it's greatest growth, when the government invested in innovation. This "low-taxes", "low-spending" "paradise" dream is nothing more then that. And to compete in a modern world..with a growing population, this country is going to have to invest.

And anyone telling anything else is perscribing that we go back in time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back