Has a worldwide revolution started? Will it come here?

Since the advent of the Modern Era every generation has incorrectly perceived some calamitous event, revolution, or catastrophe that will 'change everything.'

What do you consider the beginning of the Modern Era?

Perhaps some people have incorrectly perceived some something as an event that will change everything --- "Global Warming" springs to mind, as does the 1970s "Ice Age Coming."

However, quite often events and revolutions and catastrophes DO change everything.

Let's see -- the French Revolution, rise of Napoleon, the British Empire, the American Revolution, penicillin and vaccines and anaesthesia, World Wars I and II, the change from wood to coal, the change from coal to oil, nuclear bombs and power developed, the change from horses to automotive power, air flight, the computer age -----

I could go on; in fact, huge world-shaking events are quite common. Lots of people miss how important they are at the time, like the people who thought computers were just for hobbyists and people who thought automobiles were a passing fad. All the leaders who said World War I would be over "before the leaves fall." Lack of imagination, really.

Maybe it will all settle back down, but SOMETHING is violently sweeping the world, and I wonder if it will turn out to be important; I can't tell yet.

I think what is going on here is a whole lot different than what is going on in the revolting countries. That being said, there are a lot of people that are being pushed to the edge. It has been a long economic struggle and we just don't seem to be seeing enough light to put some to rest. We have a massive amount of unemployed still and the government seems dead set against doing any favors to the general public. We will see. I don't think the time is now though.

One Russian says to another, "We must have a Democracy!" which the other Russian replies "Yes!, but we need to have a good Czar at the head of it!"

Russian underground slogan from the 70's:

"There is no Izvestia in 'Pravda'; there is no Pravda in 'Izvestia'"

'Pravda' was the official party newspaper.
'Izvestia' was the official party news service.

'Pravda' is Russian for 'Truth'.
'Izvestia' is Russian for 'News'.

Work it out.

"All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State." Albert Camus

Interesting thread. I sometimes wonder if this constant shifting of work and resources to other nations will one day wake up the working class in this nation? India now houses our tech centers for instance. The thing that amazes me too is how much the Japanese, European nations, and Chinese now own in America. Today foreign companies are so prevalent, I would bet lots of people think their purchase is a purchase of an American company product. Count the Camry's. But we are a basically contented and entitled people, modern youth would cry like babies if someone took their iPhone or made them serve in the military. I laugh because there is this myth that the poor get too much in the way of entitlements, does anyone realize the upper classes are worse. :lol:

As someone noted above, we still have safeguards and complete fools are voted out of office eventually. But destroy social security, welfare, medicare, and unemployment compensation as some propose, then what? Had the economy crashed in 08 as we did during the great depression what would that have done to the dreams of America?

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." President Dwight Eisenhower

And a bit of reality.

"Lisa Gentner worked at a company called Carrollton Specialty Products, housed in a one-story warehouse in Moberly, Missouri, a town of 15,000 in central Missouri. Carrollton was a subcontractor for Hallmark Cards, the global greeting card giant based 125 miles west in Kansas City, Missouri. The largely female workforce of 200 provided the hand assembly for a variety of Hallmark products. They tied bows and affixed them to valentines and anniversary greetings. They glued buttons, rhinestones, and pop-ups inside birthday cards. They made gift baskets.

As in many towns across the country, the plant was an economic anchor for Moberly. Manufacturing is often pictured as a big-city enterprise, but a substantial number of plants are the lifeblood of small to medium-sized cities...."

Quote from p24 'Assault on the Middle Class' in 'The Betrayal of the American Dream' authors, Barlett and Steele.

"Yet by 2011, the Chinese had taken over the market: by then, more than 50 percent of the solar photovoltaic panels installed in America were made by Chinese companies. Chinese solar imports jumped from $21.3 million in 2005 to $2.65 billion in 2011.

What happened? In the last decade, the Chinese government set out to capture the market for manufacturing solar panels. It pumped the equivalent of billions of dollars into the country's nascent solar industry in low-cost loans, subsidies to buy land, discounts for water and power, tax exemptions, and export grants. Government aid to subsidize an export industry is illegal under global trading rules, but the Chinese forged ahead and soon cornered the world market on solar photovoltaic panels. China's exports of solar cells and panels to the United States rose a phenomenal 350 percent in just three years, from 2008 to 2010."

Last edited:
I think the people of the world are getting tired of massive corruption that helps the rich and hurts the poor.

Indeed, whats happening in Brazil may be a start of the Arab Spring becoming a The Peoples' Spring.

I think the people of the world are getting tired of massive corruption that helps the rich and hurts the poor.

Indeed, whats happening in Brazil may be a start of the Arab Spring becoming a The Peoples' Spring.

That's it, that's what I'm afraid is happening.

Turkey has calmed a little for the moment, but Brazil is really uprising!

Forum List

Back