Harvesting Sperm

Grief does funny things to people.

And not that ha ha! kind of funny, either.

i would love a grandchild..but a child does not replace another child...as the mother of an only child..i hear this all the time..."what if he dies?" i just look at them with them one kid and spares and ask which one of them they would not miss? which kid would you give up?

i dont know what i would do in that kind of grief....i dont see how parents who have a dead child put one foot in front of the other...much less get thru the day....

right now...my son is climbing...or more likely assuring the safety of other climbers....he calls me when he leaves the rock...regardless of the time or place...sure his pals make fun of him.....big country has to call mama and tell her....her baby is okay....but he does it...what the fuck am i ranting about?

i would love a grandchild..but a child does not replace another child...as the mother of an only child..i hear this all the time..."what if he dies?" i just look at them with them one kid and spares and ask which one of them they would not miss? which kid would you give up?

i dont know what i would do in that kind of grief....i dont see how parents who have a dead child put one foot in front of the other...much less get thru the day....

right now...my son is climbing...or more likely assuring the safety of other climbers....he calls me when he leaves the rock...regardless of the time or place...sure his pals make fun of him.....big country has to call mama and tell her....her baby is okay....but he does it...what the fuck am i ranting about?

ah, I think that's sweet bones!

My daughter has to call me every hour or two when she's with friends, yeah, I'm anal, but so what.

I still drive her to the bus stop every day too, the bus stops in front of our condo complex on a 4 lane road. too many freaks out there, even at 6:50 am...........

Sounds rather odd, but I can think of no ethical concerns.

As a parent, I can think of a few. For one thing, this isn't the best reason to have a child: as a replacement for one you lost. For another thing, we already know how many issues adopted kids have (abandonment issues, for one). And I'm saying this AS an adopted kid. What kind of issues will THIS kid have, knowing he was harvested from a dead body and grown in a woman who has no emotional connection to him?

Creepy. Just imagine what the other kids at school will say.

Let me just put it like this: We already have enough "throw away" kids in our society. People spending thousands of dollars to create a designer child is just repulsive to me. I don't support extreme measures to help people create a biological child. It simply makes it more likely that, as a society, we will further require these measures as we pass along genes of people who have difficulty breeding. There is a reason that biology steps in, at times, and sometimes, it is to weed out genetically undesirable traits. The more we medically intervene where we probably shouldn't, the greater the propensity for those biological traits to pose more problems in the future for us as a species.

Last edited:
How will they harvest the sperm?

Do you think they will just take the testicles and mash them like potatoes?

As a parent, I can think of a few. For one thing, this isn't the best reason to have a child: as a replacement for one you lost. For another thing, we already know how many issues adopted kids have (abandonment issues, for one). And I'm saying this AS an adopted kid. What kind of issues will THIS kid have, knowing he was harvested from a dead body and grown in a woman who has no emotional connection to him?

I don't know if this is substantive enough to function as an objection, at least in the context of establishing a "rule" against such procedures, rather than against the act of an individual engaging or authorizing such a procedure. Then again, maybe you don't either.

Let me just put it like this: We already have enough "throw away" kids in our society. People spending thousands of dollars to create a designer child is just repulsive to me. I don't support extreme measures to help people create a biological child. It simply makes it more likely that, as a society, we will further require these measures as we pass along genes of people who have difficulty breeding. There is a reason that biology steps in, at times, and sometimes, it is to weed out genetically undesirable traits. The more we medically intervene where we probably shouldn't, the greater the propensity for those biological traits to pose more problems in the future for us as a species.

This isn't an objection exclusive to this specific case. It is relatively sound whilst analyzing similar cases of "artificial" creation and such, specifically forms that require significant financial expenditures, since the resources used to create one being could easily improve the lives of numerous others, effectively creating a diminishing rate of marginal utility when contributed to the creation of the one.

Can we treat sperm as just another part of the body? Families have been known to donate the organs of a deceased family member.

Harvesting of sperm without the son's consent does rub me the wrong way. Without knowing how the son would have felt about the matter, I would be disinclined to let the mother have her way. It is not the mother's choice. I sympathize with the griefing mother, but she needs to find another way to console herself. What about adoption? There are tons of kids particularly older kids that could benefit from a loving home.

The sperm belongs to the son. If his sperm was to be harvested without his consent, this would be a violation. In addition, there is the added factor that if a child was born from this procedure, he/she would be raised in a home without a father. Knowing what we do about the risks of being raised in a singlemother household, why should a child be brought into such circumstances?

you know, i dont think id mind if i were the dead son. i mean id be disappointed that i couldnt be part of the kids life. but id be glad there is something of me left in the world.

maybe im weird. but then i prefer to make sure there are mini me's before i die so this wont be a huge issue.

I don't know if this is substantive enough to function as an objection, at least in the context of establishing a "rule" against such procedures, rather than against the act of an individual engaging or authorizing such a procedure. Then again, maybe you don't either.

IT probably isn't substantive enough, just a gut reaction.

This isn't an objection exclusive to this specific case. It is relatively sound whilst analyzing similar cases of "artificial" creation and such, specifically forms that require significant financial expenditures, since the resources used to create one being could easily improve the lives of numerous others, effectively creating a diminishing rate of marginal utility when contributed to the creation of the one.

I disagree with all exceptional measures to artificially create biological offspring.

How will they harvest the sperm?

Do you think they will just take the testicles and mash them like potatoes?

Don't you pretend to be a doctor on the internet?
Dude, you're slipping.

I am a doctor. But its been a while since I harvested sperm from a dead guy, so I forgot.

Hopefully I never need medical attention from you for something you've forgotten. It sounds a bit risky to me.
But then, my own doctor doesn't care for me challenging her opinions either.

Don't you pretend to be a doctor on the internet?
Dude, you're slipping.

I am a doctor. But its been a while since I harvested sperm from a dead guy, so I forgot.

Hopefully I never need medical attention from you for something you've forgotten. It sounds a bit risky to me.
But then, my own doctor doesn't care for me challenging her opinions either.

Actually, I'm pretty good at my job.

But if you ever find yourself dead and in need of donating your sperm...I'll admit that I may not be the person to call.

Sounds rather odd, but I can think of no ethical concerns.

I dunno, Kitty...one of the strongest urges in humans is to produce offspring. If this is her only child that died she's almost genetically wired to want to produce another to carry on her genes.

Forum List

Back