Harvard Ups Financial Aid

Discussion in 'Education' started by Mr.Conley, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Harvard guarantees all tuition costs for familes earning below $60,000, putting itself at the forefront of schools giving financial aid.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=512414

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Thanks for that! I just printed it out and it's going into my 'first days of school' folder. I always take a couple of 'college related' stories, to try and provide incentives for 'taking challenges now'. It's helped motivate some of the most able students.

I teach in a fairly prosperous town, though low college attendance for the parents. They mostly are entrepreneurs, usually in the trades. While the parents 'want' their kids in Ivies, they don't really understand the work it takes. The parents work very hard, but don't want their kids to have to.

Sometimes their kids will get it though. Currently have one student at Yale on full scholarship, one at Harvard on partial, another entering Harvard, one Stanford, 4 at Northwestern, 2 at University of Chicago. That's pretty good, considering our average 8th grade class is about 15 students.

3. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    You might also want to bring up Stanford. They're going to cover all costs for families earning less than $45,000 a year. Here's a link to the Stanford financial aid program http://www.stanford.edu/dept/finaid/. I think that Princeton is doing the same thing as Stanford. I don't know of anything that Yale is doing though. (Probably because Yale sucks)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Thanks again!

5. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I probably have some more info laying around. If you want any more info, just let me know.