Harvard Trying Dhimmi?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
of course we need to be inclusive, is this the right balance?

http://media.www.dailyfreepress.com...rvard.Tries.WomenOnly.Gym.Hours-3232133.shtml

To accommodate Muslim students, Harvard tries women-only gym hours
Abbie Ruzicka

Harvard University has moved to make Muslim women more comfortable in the gym by instituting women-only access times six hours a week to accommodate religious customs that make it difficult for some students to work out in the presence of men.

Men have not been allowed to enter the Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Center during certain times since Jan. 28, after members of the Harvard Islamic Society and the Harvard Women's Center petitioned the university for a more comfortable environment for women.

Harvard Islamic Society's Islamic Knowledge Committee officer Ola Aljawhary, a junior, said the women-only hours are being tested on a trial basis. The special gym hours will be analyzed over Spring Break to determine if they will continue, she said.

Aljawhary said that she does not believe that the women-only gym hours discriminate against men....

Moving along...

Damn, that's a hard one, we don't have coed bathrooms so I guess some things are Ok but then again this is due to religion. So the answer hinges on whether one can argue or justify Harvard's position?

Damn, that's a hard one, we don't have coed bathrooms so I guess some things are Ok but then again this is due to religion. So the answer hinges on whether one can argue or justify Harvard's position?

Your argument that we don't have coed bathrooms would be based on "female only" and "men only". There is no "men only." That is gender discrimination.

Well I'm Catholic, and lust is a sin. Going to the gym and seeing scantily clad women working out makes me long for sex, therefore, I demand a designated men's time in the gym. Has to do with religion, eh?

Either way, if Harvard students pay tuition and thus for the use of the gym, they should be able to use the gym within the gym's hours. A privately run gym is another story. Curves, for example. I dropped my mom off their once and wasn't allowed inside. I'm fine with it.

I guess someone needs to explain to Aljawhary the definition of "discrimination" since that's exactly what "Women Only" hours is.

It's definitely discriminatory, no argument here.

But if we value freedom so dearly in this country, why would we intrude on the freedom to discriminate? Do you think Harvard should not be allowed by law to instutute such a policy?

I'll have to say that this doesn't surprise me. One Ivy league school allowing a third world dictator that allows gays to be hung in his country, to speak, and another school allowing discrimination. Just par for the course for these beacons of progressivism. :rolleyes:

This can also be looked at positively as an example of democratic politics and compromise in action. Funny how righties characterize everything from their narrow window. But I guess that is what conservatism is and why it has done so poorly politically.

"Men have not been allowed to enter the Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Center during certain times since Jan. 28, after members of the Harvard Islamic Society and the Harvard Women's Center petitioned the university for a more comfortable environment for women.

Harvard Islamic Society's Islamic Knowledge Committee officer Ola Aljawhary, a junior, said the women-only hours are being tested on a trial basis. The special gym hours will be analyzed over Spring Break to determine if they will continue, she said.

Aljawhary said that she does not believe that the women-only gym hours discriminate against men.

"These hours are necessary because there is a segment of the Harvard female population that is not found in gyms not because they don't want to work out, but because for them working out in a co-ed gym is uncomfortable, awkward or problematic in some way," she said.

Though the policy was in part initiated by the school's Islamic group, Aljawhary said women-only hours are not a case of "minority rights trumping majority preference" and said women of different faiths have showed interest in the hours.

"We live together in one community, it only makes sense for everyone to compromise slightly in order for everyone to live happily," she said. "This matter is simple: Can't we just display basic decency and show tolerance and inclusion for people not a part of the mainstream majority?""

http://www.masnet.org/articleinterest.asp?id=4882

This can also be looked at positively as an example of democratic politics and compromise in action. Funny how righties characterize everything from their narrow window. But I guess that is what conservatism is and why it has done so poorly politically.

"Men have not been allowed to enter the Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Center during certain times since Jan. 28, after members of the Harvard Islamic Society and the Harvard Women's Center petitioned the university for a more comfortable environment for women.

Aljawhary said that she does not believe that the women-only gym hours discriminate against men.

"These hours are necessary because there is a segment of the Harvard female population that is not found in gyms not because they don't want to work out, but because for them working out in a co-ed gym is uncomfortable, awkward or problematic in some way," she said.

Though the policy was in part initiated by the school's Islamic group, Aljawhary said women-only hours are not a case of "minority rights trumping majority preference" and said women of different faiths have showed interest in the hours.

"We live together in one community, it only makes sense for everyone to compromise slightly in order for everyone to live happily," she said. "This matter is simple: Can't we just display basic decency and show tolerance and inclusion for people not a part of the mainstream majority?""

Of course you will be happy when the state tells us what to believe, pay for, and worship or not, depending on the day.

And how "poorly" is that? In case you didn't notice, in order to finally gain a majority in congress for the first time since 1994, they democrats had to get mostly VERY conservative western state democrats to get it done. Which is why the Pelosi and Reid can't seem to get a single one of their agenda items past.

The policy was initiated by the schools Islamic group and Harvard bowed. If a white caucasian group had asked for the same accommodations they'd be sued by every left wing nut in the country.

This can also be looked at positively as an example of democratic politics and compromise in action.

Or, it can be looked at as an example of democratic politics, and compromise, that accomplishes NOTHING.

Funny how righties characterize everything from their narrow window. But I guess that is what conservatism is and why it has done so poorly politically.

Poorly you say. I suppose your ready to discount the last eight years?

I don't think its funny at all, but then I am a little right of the left, and I characterize the left as HELPLESS.

Women really do need to get a fucking life...............:eusa_hand:

Or, at least those that consider themselves liberals.:eusa_whistle:

Taken at face value, does that statement make ANY sense at all?

The classic boiling water scenario

The SAME can't be said for the male population?

Un-fucking believable!

A world gone PC crazy, with no clue as to the harm, or priorities involved.

Well, YES...........

Just keep moving that along, and THEN I suppose it might make some sense.

Thanks too religious zealots like the Muslims, and some Christian groups, there is NO compromise.

It's definitely discriminatory, no argument here.

But if we value freedom so dearly in this country, why would we intrude on the freedom to discriminate? Do you think Harvard should not be allowed by law to instutute such a policy?

As long as they take no public funding than they have a right to discriminate all they want.

As long as they take no public funding than they have a right to discriminate all they want.

I agree, at least that that is how it should be.

But there is ample precedent to suggest it's really no longer a right.

Consider the once popular sign hung behind many a bar or shop counter: We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Try opening a shop and refusing to serve blacks, gays, jews or christians and see how quickly you get sued and/or shut down.

I would disagree, as would most Americans, as would the American political system of governance. America's dream was a melting pot and within that melting pot is built a respect for minority rights and minority traditions. It is why our founding devised the system of checks and balances and the Senate was designed to make sure minority rights were not trampled on. All those above who act like wounded children, forget where they live, it they want a dictator of thought and behavior, sorry but it died long ago.

Forum List

Back