Harvard Trying Dhimmi?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    of course we need to be inclusive, is this the right balance?

http://media.www.dailyfreepress.com...rvard.Tries.WomenOnly.Gym.Hours-3232133.shtml

Moving along...

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
  3. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,300
    Damn, that's a hard one, we don't have coed bathrooms so I guess some things are Ok but then again this is due to religion. So the answer hinges on whether one can argue or justify Harvard's position?

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Your argument that we don't have coed bathrooms would be based on "female only" and "men only". There is no "men only." That is gender discrimination.

5. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Well I'm Catholic, and lust is a sin. Going to the gym and seeing scantily clad women working out makes me long for sex, therefore, I demand a designated men's time in the gym. Has to do with religion, eh?

Either way, if Harvard students pay tuition and thus for the use of the gym, they should be able to use the gym within the gym's hours. A privately run gym is another story. Curves, for example. I dropped my mom off their once and wasn't allowed inside. I'm fine with it.

6. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,764
    It's definitely discriminatory, no argument here.

But if we value freedom so dearly in this country, why would we intrude on the freedom to discriminate? Do you think Harvard should not be allowed by law to instutute such a policy?

7. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,354
    I'll have to say that this doesn't surprise me. One Ivy league school allowing a third world dictator that allows gays to be hung in his country, to speak, and another school allowing discrimination. Just par for the course for these beacons of progressivism. :rolleyes:

8. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,300
    This can also be looked at positively as an example of democratic politics and compromise in action. Funny how righties characterize everything from their narrow window. But I guess that is what conservatism is and why it has done so poorly politically.

"Men have not been allowed to enter the Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Center during certain times since Jan. 28, after members of the Harvard Islamic Society and the Harvard Women's Center petitioned the university for a more comfortable environment for women.

Harvard Islamic Society's Islamic Knowledge Committee officer Ola Aljawhary, a junior, said the women-only hours are being tested on a trial basis. The special gym hours will be analyzed over Spring Break to determine if they will continue, she said.

Aljawhary said that she does not believe that the women-only gym hours discriminate against men.

"These hours are necessary because there is a segment of the Harvard female population that is not found in gyms not because they don't want to work out, but because for them working out in a co-ed gym is uncomfortable, awkward or problematic in some way," she said.

Though the policy was in part initiated by the school's Islamic group, Aljawhary said women-only hours are not a case of "minority rights trumping majority preference" and said women of different faiths have showed interest in the hours.

"We live together in one community, it only makes sense for everyone to compromise slightly in order for everyone to live happily," she said. "This matter is simple: Can't we just display basic decency and show tolerance and inclusion for people not a part of the mainstream majority?""

http://www.masnet.org/articleinterest.asp?id=4882

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Of course you will be happy when the state tells us what to believe, pay for, and worship or not, depending on the day.

10. Zoomie1980

Zoomie1980 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    And how "poorly" is that? In case you didn't notice, in order to finally gain a majority in congress for the first time since 1994, they democrats had to get mostly VERY conservative western state democrats to get it done. Which is why the Pelosi and Reid can't seem to get a single one of their agenda items past.