Harvard Now Values ‘Kindness’ Not Learning

And that's what I meant. "Educational attainment" is being spoonfed content - like we do in public high schools. "Learning" requires a diversity of ideas - some even "outside the box" and even "unkind" to some.

Here in NJ, we have the toughest anti-bullying law in the country. It is a speech code that applies to K-12 through college. It's not a pledge; its the law. Harvard, along with all other universities may be soon to follow. That is, if it's not challenged in the Supreme Court first.
Thx for clarification. Not getting the "bullying" laws, but I have a hunch that does not mean people are never allowed to voice their opinions. Really I suspect we're all more in agreement than it may sound at times.

Of course I was exaggerating. But after years of teaching HS, I have learned that many students have "no filter" on what they say. Off topic discussions almost always end up with inappropriate comments. I used to use those conversations as "teachable moments", but now I lead instruction bell to bell. That's what administrators want to see, and it prevents a whole lot of problems. This new bullying law may actually help with academics. But I'm certain that many ignorant kids may have to be sacrificed to the "law" to accomplish that.

And that's what I meant. "Educational attainment" is being spoonfed content - like we do in public high schools. "Learning" requires a diversity of ideas - some even "outside the box" and even "unkind" to some.

Here in NJ, we have the toughest anti-bullying law in the country. It is a speech code that applies to K-12 through college. It's not a pledge; its the law. Harvard, along with all other universities may be soon to follow. That is, if it's not challenged in the Supreme Court first.
Thx for clarification. Not getting the "bullying" laws, but I have a hunch that does not mean people are never allowed to voice their opinions. Really I suspect we're all more in agreement than it may sound at times.

Of course I was exaggerating. But after years of teaching HS, I have learned that many students have "no filter" on what they say. Off topic discussions almost always end up with inappropriate comments. I used to use those conversations as "teachable moments", but now I lead instruction bell to bell. That's what administrators want to see, and it prevents a whole lot of problems. This new bullying law may actually help with academics. But I'm certain that many ignorant kids may have to be sacrificed to the "law" to accomplish that.

LOL, and many of them come straight to college that way! When I was teaching I only entertained questions or comments the last few minutes of class. They could come to my office and I would help them any time, but so many of my students had problems grasping that most of what they see done in hospitals is done incorrectly, and while they may do it that way as nurses, we teach the correct and IDEAL way to practice. So they can be VERY argumentative.

One of my students, an LPN (who failed my class in the RN program) told the chair of the deparmtne that she knew more about psych than I did. The department chair set her down and said, "Now, Mrs. Sunshine has a Bachelor's in Nursing, a Master's in Nursing, she is a licensed NP, she holds a national certification in psychiatry and she has practiced for almost as many years as you have been alive. And you, and LPN, know more about psychiatry than she does?" That LPN was one of the most disruptive argumentative students I had. But after her meeting with the department chair, she did her penance and took the class over with no arguemtn. And she did fairly well.

New Topics

Forum List

Back