Hartford City Council Meeting to Begin with Islamic Invocations

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
The Council announced Tuesday that it has invited local imams to perform Islamic invocations at the beginning of the Council meetings in September.

Though meetings don't regularly begin with any form of prayer, an email from the Common Council called it "an act of solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters."

NBC

Why does Islam get a pass at Separation of Church and State when other town councils and high school graduations have had to stop giving Christian prayers after being sued for violating it?

Personally, these Islamic prayers do not bother me. I don't have a problem with any prayer being said before a council meeting. They could have a Christian month, an Islamic month, what ever, to represent all the constituents, but it should be fair for everyone.

Last edited:
I'm with you on the not giving a shit part. I think the council should open with whatever kind of prayer they choose, or feel best represents their constituency. However, I believe that the use of Islamic prayers for this month is linked to the conclusion of Ramadan.

Solidarity with members of an ideology that calls for the death of all non members is usually a poor choice.

Anyways, what were we talking about? Whether or not the Hartford City Council should begin their sessions with a different prayer for a month? OK. Let's talk about that.

EDIT: The Vid is apropos, I suppose :lol:

Last edited:
I think it's a nice gesture. Must be scarey and sad to be an American Muslim these days.

And yet are you not one of those that complains if a school coach recites a prayer before a game? Complains if a Christian prayer is offered over the loud speaker at a school?

This is Hypocrisy at its finest. Liberals will SUE if a Christian prayer is offered at any Government meeting like a town hall but think Muslim prayers are a "nice gesture"

I don't complain about prayers before a legislative session, RetiredGySgt. Against all odds, I suspect most legislators are adults.

Nice of you to bitch me out for a thought I hadn't had, rather than express any compassion for people under severe stress.

I don't complain about prayers before a legislative session, RetiredGySgt. Against all odds, I suspect most legislators are adults.

Nice of you to bitch me out for a thought I hadn't had, rather than express any compassion for people under severe stress.

Muslims in this Country are NOT under severe stress. Jews are 10 times as likely to be attacked. Should we have Jewish prayers before our meetings?

Forum List

Back