Harsh Sanctions Against Penn State Warranted

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Harsh Sanctions Against Penn State Warranted

Heavy sanctions are warranted in this scandal when you realize that the despicable behavior of Sandusky could have been stopped, but wasn’t in favor of protecting the sanctity of the football program. What a cost.

Now Penn State will find out what the cost really will be to them. They face loss of scholarships. Bowl games for years and heavy fines in just minutes at the press conference. Paterno, no, it was more than just football, it was about the lives of little boys.

Last edited:
I agree with you Sallow. Paterno never realized the gravity of the situation. And I think the penalty they receive will be worse than the death penalty. It may take years to overcome this penalty. What a legacy for the trustees and football coach that was held in such high esteem.

didnt one of the reports say that if he had lived he would have been indicted?

it was just a massive cover up.....

they are saying it will not be the death penalty but it will cause an economic impact

Sad state of affairs when football is considered more important than sex abuse.

I agree they deserve sanction, but I'm confused on two points:

1) The NCAA is handing down a sentence without an ounce of investigation.
2) If the University president and other high-ranking officials are the primary culprits of the cover-up, why are the sanctions only coming against the football program?

2) If the University president and other high-ranking officials are the primary culprits of the cover-up, why are the sanctions only coming against the football program?

My understanding, there was the Freeh Report that investigated the situationa and found that the higher ups all had knowledge and neglected to inform Law Enforcement or Social Services.

Fines are coming against the school itself. By penalizing the football program, they are killing the golden goose for the university.

My understanding, there was the Freeh Report that investigated the situationa and found that the higher ups all had knowledge and neglected to inform Law Enforcement or Social Services.

Does the NCAA take the University's own investigation at face value? In most NCAA investigations the school's investigation is followed up by an NCAA investigation, IIRC.

Or maybe the NCAA is just going to allow law enforcement to figure out the details....

Fines are coming against the school itself. By penalizing the football program, they are killing the golden goose for the university.

ah-ha! That's a good point - by injuring the football program they are impacting the entire university.

didnt one of the reports say that if he had lived he would have been indicted?

it was just a massive cover up.....

they are saying it will not be the death penalty but it will cause an economic impact

I believe he would have been. Teachers, principals, social workers and their supervisors, doctors, anyone who is in a position to know and stop abuse by their positions are required by law to report crimes against children. All of those employed who were above Sandusky who were told would have been up for indictment.

Last edited:
$60 million dollar fine; Ban on bowl games for 4 years; reduce scholarships from 25 to 15 for four years; vacates all wins from 1998-2011; formal discipline of some employees; Athletes can transfer

Kind of a death penalty for four years in reality.

Last edited:
not harsh enough.....lost 10 scholarships.....one years football revenue as a fine.....bowl ban for 4 years??

penn state wins this round

The decent athletes are not going to stick around. If you were a good athlete would you take a scholarship from Penn State in the next four years with these conditions?

Seems like a harsh penalty

!0-20 Scholarships gone
4 year bowl ban
Players allowed to leave
60 million fine

Joe Pa loses his legacy

The punishment was warranted.

The big issue is that the A-Bomb was dropped on a symptom but not the problem. The out-sized influence of college football on State universities. In this day and age of scrimping and saving every nickel of taxpayer money, funding the largess of college football is antithetical to the reality of the situation.

Forum List

Back