Harry Reid's ultimatum just might be working

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Harry Reid's Ultimatum Just Might Be Working - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's threat to let steep cuts hit the Pentagon seems to be working, as some staunchly anti-tax Republican Senators appear to be warming to revenue increases. The Democratic leader's high-stakes gambit materialized last month when he vowed to let $600 billion in automatic defense cuts go into effect unless Republicans agree to revenue increases. Republicans initially balked at the threat, saying Reid's brinkmanship would gut the nation's defenses and slash tens of thousands of private sector jobs. But remarkably, some Republicans, including hard-right members of Congress, are starting to buckle under the specter of widespread defense cuts.

Traveling with Senator Lindsey Graham in South Carolina, The New York Times' Jonathan Wiessman said the senator is now "openly talking about revenue increases to offset the costs." Shrugging off the "no new taxes" pledge enforced by anti-tax activist Grover Norquist, Graham said “I’ve crossed the Rubicon on that.” And he's not alone. According to the Times hard-right members of the House, including Reps. Mick Mulvaney, Joe "You Lie!" Wilson and Jeff Duncan have also said they're willing to talk revenue increases.

The pressure by Reid, arguably one of his savvier negotiating tactics, is putting the squeeze on Republicans in military-heavy states such as South Carolina who reap campaign contributions from defense contractors who employ tens of thousands of workers. The way Republicans may bend, Reid told the Times is by closing tax loopholes or placing higher fees on federal oil leases, ideas that are "expanding in his party." Adding to that sentiment, Politico's Seung Min Kim quotes GOP Rep. Mike Coffman saying anyone coming up with alternatives to the automatic cuts, such as revenue increases, "would be open to attack to cutting defense too deeply."

Oh, goody. Looks like he learned a hard lesson from Cantor, Boehner and McConnell.

And what will the Dumbos give up? The entitlements they love so much? DOUBT IT! No, they have to make sure that all the crackwhore welfare queens occupying Section 8 housing get their monthly check.

Call it what it is you A-holes. It's called "tax increases" not revenue increases. Democrats can't seem to tell the truth about anything these days.

how lovely for Reid to use the DEFENSE of our country and us citizens as a ultimatum..

and he is cheered for this...

how friggen PATHETIC liberals can be all for the reasons of raising TAXS on us..

aslo this is the Alantic, they lie

Call it what it is you A-holes. It's called "tax increases" not revenue increases. Democrats can't seem to tell the truth about anything these days.

They've been so blatent about who they really are and thier intent they are now in oh-shit mode trying to get out of a corner they've painted themselves into with NO exit BUT to be honest.

Harry Reid's Ultimatum Just Might Be Working - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's threat to let steep cuts hit the Pentagon seems to be working, as some staunchly anti-tax Republican Senators appear to be warming to revenue increases. The Democratic leader's high-stakes gambit materialized last month when he vowed to let $600 billion in automatic defense cuts go into effect unless Republicans agree to revenue increases. Republicans initially balked at the threat, saying Reid's brinkmanship would gut the nation's defenses and slash tens of thousands of private sector jobs. But remarkably, some Republicans, including hard-right members of Congress, are starting to buckle under the specter of widespread defense cuts.

Traveling with Senator Lindsey Graham in South Carolina, The New York Times' Jonathan Wiessman said the senator is now "openly talking about revenue increases to offset the costs." Shrugging off the "no new taxes" pledge enforced by anti-tax activist Grover Norquist, Graham said “I’ve crossed the Rubicon on that.” And he's not alone. According to the Times hard-right members of the House, including Reps. Mick Mulvaney, Joe "You Lie!" Wilson and Jeff Duncan have also said they're willing to talk revenue increases.

The pressure by Reid, arguably one of his savvier negotiating tactics, is putting the squeeze on Republicans in military-heavy states such as South Carolina who reap campaign contributions from defense contractors who employ tens of thousands of workers. The way Republicans may bend, Reid told the Times is by closing tax loopholes or placing higher fees on federal oil leases, ideas that are "expanding in his party." Adding to that sentiment, Politico's Seung Min Kim quotes GOP Rep. Mike Coffman saying anyone coming up with alternatives to the automatic cuts, such as revenue increases, "would be open to attack to cutting defense too deeply."

Oh, goody. Looks like he learned a hard lesson from Cantor, Boehner and McConnell.

Surely you jest.

Oh come on you make me want to kick you when you're down. I'm trying to be nice but for holy shit, you lost, you lost big and some of us nice guys are going "we won't hurt you now".

Honest to goodness stop while you are ahead.:lol:

I dont see the reason and no repub can explain why signing a pledge to an unelected douche bag is good government.

I'd be just fine with cutting defense by 50% and reallocating tons of funds to Tech, Intel and SOFs. I don't buy into the Military Industrial Complex's Claim that we need to make the same mistake the Soviets did (bankrupting ourselves with defense spending), in order to be safe. I haven't seen a land war since WWII (with the possible exception of the First Gulf War) that I felt good about. But I did feel good about taking out OBL.

I would also be happy with a huge surge to cut welfare through inspection. While there are obviously people who need help, we have 4th generation welfare families out there who have milking the system, literally since birth!

Thus as an Independent, I am more than happy to piss off both Libs and Conservs with common sense! <playful>

I dont see the reason and no repub can explain why signing a pledge to an unelected douche bag is good government.

who cares about some pledge? this friggen bloated government has enough of our taxpayers monies...they should start by cutting every member of Congress salaries, and leave the DEFENSE of this country alone..

But the Democrats don't care what they have to use to blackmail people...they are the snakest party ever

You can increase revenues without increasing taxes. In fact you can lower the tax rate AND increase revenue. We need to strip all dedutions and at the same time lower tax rates by 10 points across the board. Everyone would see a nice tax cut and at the same time the revenues would increase. And assholes like Buffet could no longer claim he is not paying enough while he take advantage of every dedution there is.

Harry Reid's ultimatum just might be working

out maneuvered by Obama

The simple fact is the end-game on Spending and the Expiring 2003 Bush Tax Cuts were agreements made by Republicans given to the Obama Administration that surrendered their control of the issues to the Administration -

the Republicans have given away their leverage and are scrambling to stave off their blunders with time running out before the Nov. elections ...

Forum List

Back