Harry Reid Not Releasing His Own Tax Returns...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Harry Reid, known for his shady real estate deals, has refused to release his Tax Returns

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid again deflected questions Monday about releasing his tax returns, even as he continued to pound the demand for Mitt Romney to make more of his own public.

Instead, Reid pointed to the financial disclosure forms he files as a member of Congress, which provide different information.

"I’m a member of Congress now, I don’t make too much money,” said Reid, whose net worth was estimated at $10 million in 2010. “But it’s all listed every year.”

Reid spokesman Adam Jentleson told POLITICO last week that the majority leader will not release his tax returns, writing: “He’s not running for president. … He has of course released more than 30 years of detailed [personal finance disclosures]. There is exponentially more information available to the public about Sen. Reid’s financial life than there is about Mitt Romney’s.”

Conservatives have begun accusing Reid of hypocrisy for his attacks on Romney. And the Las Vegas Review-Journal — in a somewhat different context — on Monday resurrected a 1974 statement in which Reid said: “Any man or woman who will not be completely candid about his or her finances does not deserve to be in public office.”

Asked about that statement at a news conference Monday in Nevada, Reid responded: “In 1974, I wasn’t in Congress.

“All you have to do is go look,” he added. “I file every year, every stock trade, every piece of land I buy, all the money I have, it has the value of my homes, it’s got it all there.”

Read more: Harry Reid not releasing his own tax returns - Darren Goode and Jonathan Allen - POLITICO.com
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Hes not running for president while having foreign bank accounts and tax shelters

I want to KNOW how much money robmoney has and who hes really worried about saving.

Is his money safer in other countries?

then that other country may mean more to him than ours

Hes not running for president while having foreign bank accounts and tax shelters

No he's not. He's only writing tax policy for the rest of us. He has a bigger conflict of interest than anyone running for president. What's he hiding?

dear idiot,

PRESIDENTS are far more powerful than senators.

Most senators dont release their taxes while running.

Now tell me why all other Presidentail candidates have released theirs but that Robmoney is SOOOOO special he doesnt have to?

No he's not. He's only writing tax policy for the rest of us. He has a bigger conflict of interest than anyone running for president. What's he hiding?

Nothing apparently. Did you miss the following? :eusa_eh:

“All you have to do is go look,” he added. “I file every year, every stock trade, every piece of land I buy, all the money I have, it has the value of my homes, it’s got it all there.”

And the Wahington Post, a well known Liberal Media Outlet, scores Reid 4 Pinocchios on his claims about Romney's Taxes.

The Fact Checker

— Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), on the floor of the U.S. Senate, Aug. 2, 2012

Reid has generated a lot of controversy with his claim that presumptive GOP nominee did not pay any taxes for 10 years. He originally told the Huffington Post that a person who had invested with Bain Capital had called his office and told him this. Then, he told reporters in Nevada that “I have had a number of people tell me that.”

Reid has refused to identify his source (or sources). Romney and his campaign aides have emphatically denied the charge but Reid has stood firm. “I don't think the burden should be on me,” he said. “The burden should be on him. He's the one I've alleged has not paid any taxes.”

This whole exchange poses a fact-checking conundrum. Generally, we maintain that the person or the campaign making the charge must back it up. Reid has refused to provide any evidence, except for the (unproven) fact that someone called him up and told him something that may be true — or simply a rumor.

But we can still examine how credible this rumor might be.

The Facts

Romney has refused to release more than two years of tax returns. Most presidential candidates in recent years have released more than two years of returns, so Romney may be paying a political price for failing to release more.

But Romney’s 2010 return and his estimated 2011 return do show that he paid substantial taxes in those years. In 2010, he earned nearly $22 million, including $3 million in taxable interest, nearly $5 million in dividends and more than $12 million in capital gains. He reduced his taxes by giving $3 million in charitable contributions (much of it in appreciated stock, when shielded him from paying additional capital gains.)

In other words, this tax return shows a portfolio that is not structured to yield zero taxes. We spoke to a number of tax experts, all of whom said that, given Romney’s current portfolio, it was highly improbable for Romney to have had 10 years with taxfree returns — though there could have been one or two years with little or no taxes.

4 Pinocchios for Harry Reid’s claim about Mitt Romney’s taxes - The Washington Post

Last edited:
I want to KNOW how much money robmoney has and who hes really worried about saving.

Is his money safer in other countries?

then that other country may mean more to him than ours

Why are you so obsessed with how much money the man makes? He's rich, so what? So is your Dear Leader and Harry Reid.

dear idiot,

PRESIDENTS are far more powerful than senators.

Most senators dont release their taxes while running.

Now tell me why all other Presidentail candidates have released theirs but that Robmoney is SOOOOO special he doesnt have to?

What tax policy does the president write? Can you answer that? By the way, the other presidential candidates have released their medical and school records, can you tell us why Obama hasn't? Did he lie and say he was a foreign student so he could get priority admission and financial aid. That's the rumor. When's Obama going to release those records and prove that he didn't defraud the financial aid system?

He files disclosure forms. He hasn't released his actual taxes. We don't know if what he puts on those disclosure forms is accurate.

Why is it YOUR Robmoney is SOOOOOO special he doesnt have to release his tax returns like ALL OTHER candidates have?

He files disclosure forms. He hasn't released his actual taxes. We don't know if what he puts on those disclosure forms is accurate.

He's not runniing for president and has given what he's legally required to. Where are Mitt's disclosure forms? Shouldn't he be first?

Because he has things to hide and now everyone knows it

WE all have things to hide, nitwit. Would you want everyone to know every detail of your life? Furthermore, we all know that it doesn't matter whether everything Romeny has on his return is legal and even conventional. Turds like you will find a way to cast it as sinister. You've already done it with the tax returns he has released.

He's not runniing for president and has given what he's legally required to. Where are Mitt's disclosure forms? Shouldn't he be first?

Mitt has given what he's legally required to. You're arguing against your own position.

When is Obama gone to release his school records?

and we can legally give him shit all day long for thinking he can get elected by being secretive

Forum List

Back