Harry Reid changes the rules to table the house bill

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
He changed the votes required to table the vote from the standard 60 to a simple majority. Sad thing is he only got 59 votes to table it. Had he followed the standard measures he would have failed in his effort to ditch the bill.

What is the point of having senate rules if you can just change them to suit your self interests. Sad

Doesn't matter. If I was Boehner I'd golf all weekend. Let the dems pass something for a change. Its time for BO to tell Reid to take the deal.

He changed the votes required to table the vote from the standard 60 to a simple majority. Sad thing is he only got 59 votes to table it. Had he followed the standard measures he would have failed in his effort to ditch the bill.

What is the point of having senate rules if you can just change them to suit your self interests. Sad

Yeah Dems want to make a deal

Sure

Right

It was change the rules or vote it down and start over. What will happen is that Senate will pick apart the bill piece by piece and come up with an "amended" version. It will be sent back to the House for passage.

Personally I think that the whole thing can be deemed a threat to National Security and the President should issue an Executive order to the Treasury instructing them to pay all the bills if nothing is passed. What is that saying "Kill em all and let God sort them out!" In this case get the bills paid and let the USSC sort it out later.

• Banned
you realize Boehner changed the rules to be able to vote on the amended bill today, right?

right?

To meet obamarhoids deadline he had no choice. What was Harrys reason, oh yea, to sack the house bill, reword it slightly and call it "his".

Transparent

you realize Boehner changed the rules to be able to vote on the amended bill today, right?

right?

Boehner changed to vote on it, Reid to drive the country further off the spending cliff.

Even you can tell the difference, right?

What is the point of having senate rules if you can just change them to suit your self interests. Sad.
Constitutional, actually. As the Founding Document authorizes both bodies to determine its own rules which they may change as seen fit:

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member.

Article I, Section 5

right?

Boehner changed to vote on it, Reid to drive the country further off the spending cliff.

Oh, I see the difference: one was done by someone whose ass you're willing to kiss.

What's the difference between Boehner voting today and tomorrow? He already pushed it back three days in order to suck Tea Party c...err, convince tea partiers to vote for it.

What is the point of having senate rules if you can just change them to suit your self interests. Sad.
Constitutional, actually. As the Founding Document authorizes both bodies to determine its own rules which they may change as seen fit:

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member.

Article I, Section 5

Are you seriously trying to tell me that rule was intended for rules to be changed "on the fly"?

Im not buyin it

right?

Oh, I see the difference: one was done by someone whose ass you're willing to kiss.

What's the difference between Boehner voting today and tomorrow? He already pushed it back three days in order to suck Tea Party c...err, convince tea partiers to vote for it.

At least he has been trying to build a consensus rather than IMPOSE ONE

Unfortunately, he built a consensus only among Republicans - who control 1 of the 3 bodies who are involved in the decision.

In doing so, he further alienated the other two bodies.

Unfortunately, he built a consensus only among Republicans - who control 1 of the 3 bodies who are involved in the decision.

In doing so, he further alienated the other two bodies.

The other 2 bodies were not going to agree to anything put forth by the gop. In conclusion, be it good or bad, the house did their jobs. The senate however hasnt done theirs in nearly 3 years.

the traitors on the left will default on the debt before they cut spending!!

Once Boehner added the requirement for a balanced budget amendment he killed any chance whatsoever that this bill would ever become law. Not that he had a choice - nothing else would pass the house. His alternative would have been no bill at all.

We now have a rather silly game of procedure going on. If Reid wanted to actually do something constructive, he'll rip everything out of the bill except for increasing the budget deficit and set it to a full increase to 2012...effectively turning it into a 'clean' bill.

Maybe he could include something requiring a discussion of a balanced budget amendment, just to allow the Repugs to save some face so that they'll pass it.

That's just about the only way any bill raising the debt ceiling is going to pass before Tuesday. Raise the cieling...no strings attached.

Other than that, it's up to Obama to invoke the 14th amendment. The longer he waits the better for him politically...and the worse for the Repugs...but the longer he waits, the worse for the country.

Forum List

Back