Harry Potter books removed from St. Edward Catholic School due to 'curses and spells'

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text," the email states.

Reehil goes on to say in the email that he consulted several exorcists in the U.S. and Rome who recommended removing the books.
Harry Potter books removed from St. Edward Catholic School due to 'curses and spells'

He consulted several exorcists that have advised him that the spells in the book are real.

That's a bit strange.

Its a Catholic school they can do whatever they want to. End of story

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text," the email states.

Reehil goes on to say in the email that he consulted several exorcists in the U.S. and Rome who recommended removing the books.

He consulted several exorcists that have advised him that the spells in the book are real.

That's a bit strange.

It is understandable that people that identify as Catholic could have issues with a book that presents witchs in a sympathetic light.

But they don't have a problem with priests molesting their kids. Somehow I don't think witches and warlocks are the problem when it comes to the Catholic church.

NOt sure if the people involved in this had anything to do with that.

Or are you planning to just smear every Catholic with that, judging people based on a group label, rather than their own actions and character?

To be honest, I'll probably continue to judge people that continue to sacrifice their children for a pass into heaven.

Sorry, religion is not my favorite topic. I should never comment on articles that have any connection to religion.

I'm guessing that isn't going to stop you from doing it anyway, though.

It isn't really none of my concern what a private school stocks on its library shelves, but I do think Rev. Dan Reehil is being rather silly and dramatic.

I think he's a loon, and the school is unforgivably ignorant for listening to him. And I certainly wouldn't send my kid to that school.

That being said, it's a private school, and it's up to them and the parents what decisions they make.

That's a bit strange.

Children should be taught real literature in school, not popular pulp like Harry Potter or romance novellas.

School is the time to teach Hawthorne and Melville, Shakespeare and Tolstoy.

I agree with this priest, but disagree as to the reason. There is no reason to substitute a Harry Potter book for Silas Marner or House of the 7 Gables.

I don't think they were considering teaching the books. I think they were in the library for elective reading. Perhaps I'm wrong, but then I'd have to be questioning any school discussing these books in class, because they're not that well-written.

One of the greatest Christian writers wrote all about wizards and witches. Tolkien, Narnia and Hobbit.
You mean C.S. Lewis, right? Who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia? Tolkein was a learned professor of English literature.

I think he actually meant Tolkien, and just conflated the works of the two authors. BTW, CS Lewis was ALSO a professor of English literature, at the same school as Tolkien.

That's a bit strange.

It is understandable that people that identify as Catholic could have issues with a book that presents witchs in a sympathetic light.

But they don't have a problem with priests molesting their kids. Somehow I don't think witches and warlocks are the problem when it comes to the Catholic church.
Stop lying. Catholics do have a problem with the priest sex scandal.

That's a bit strange.

Children should be taught real literature in school, not popular pulp like Harry Potter or romance novellas.

I agree with this priest, but disagree as to the reason. There is no reason to substitute a Harry Potter book for Silas Marner or House of the 7 Gables.
Why? Because YOU read them in school? The curriculum is allowed to change as the years roll on. Those classics were popular in their day and yes, they were really good writers, but there are a lot of really good writers out there of fiction that is about OUR world, not society hundreds of years ago. Those books are for the English majors, not the bulk of high school English students.
:eek::eek::eek:

To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene III Line 87, No. You have to have Shakespeare. Didn't have a word to match what he needed? He squished two together or made it up. He only did that over 1700 times.

Shakespeare is a part of every day life.

To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene III Line 87, No. LOL Good one.

I think he's a genius, but I remember it was like learning a different language. Our book had Shakespeare's text on one side of the page and the "English" translation on the other. I agree with you, though, we need to keep Shakespeare. DEFINITELY not Hamlet though. That great long winded prince needed to shit or get off the pot.

It is a different language but, once it's down it becomes fantastically humorous. Shakespeare has become so much of our culture that for kids those references to him are littered throughout movies and commercials and skits. It's like opening a door and getting in on the jokes. Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood is Macbeth.

My son's generation grew up listening to ERB in middle school. There are all kinds of references to literature, directors, scientists that they had no clue was out there. It was a bridge to the inside jokes, or information, that the rest of us take for granted.

I am not saying that only the white people classics should be studied. I do think that in discarding many of them we are aiding and abetting a class division that public education was designed to overcome.

I was never a fan of studying Shakespeare just in the written version. They're plays, and they lose a lot in translation when you don't see them performed. I highly recommend the San Francisco Repertory Theatre's production of Taming of the Shrew, with Marc Singer. Really old, but available on DVD and occasionally online, and quite well done.

Yeah, "Real Literature" only comes from European culture and has to be over 50 years old.

No, but it does need to come up to the same literary standards.

One of the greatest Christian writers wrote all about wizards and witches. Tolkien, Narnia and Hobbit.

CS Lewis' books are different. It's been a long time since I read the Narnia books, but IIRC, there is a clear distinction between right and wrong. Also, it's considered a Christian allegory.

I admit, I haven't read the Harry Potter books, but from what I've heard about them, it's an entirely different story. It blurs the lines and glorifies things that shouldn't be glorified.

I see no problem at all with a Christian or Catholic school removing the Potter books, in fact I applaud them for it.
I'd really suggest you read a couple of the Harry Potter books before applauding them being banned, or taking anyone's word for it that they "glorify things that shouldn't be glorified." I've read them all more than once and there is no glorifying evil in them. At. All.
I own a few of the Potter books, not bad.
But if the Left can ban Mark Twain, then I see no issue with this ban.

I'd rather they ban Twain than rewrite him...

New 'Huckleberry Finn' Will Eliminate Offensive Words

Teach the book, don't edit it.

Bastards.

Clearly, these people needed a better literature course, if they don't realize that the "offensive words" are there PRECISELY because they are offensive, and are meant to highlight the flaws in that society. How in the hell are you supposed condemn bad behavior if you're not allowed to show what you're condemning?

Melville and Hawthorne were Americans, not European at all.

Shakespeare and Tolstoy were from greater Europe of course.

In any event, what makes Shakespeare so important isn't that he's "european" but the fact that his work was so critical for Western Civilization and the English language, which still uses a lot of the words he coined to this day. Students may wonder why loansharks are called "Shylocks", but after they study Shakespeare they know.

ROFL Paleface invaders from Europe are not Europeans. Yeah, right.

Everybody is supposed to think what Europeans tell them to.

Both Hawthorne and Melville were Americans from birth, they didn't "invade" shit.

The descendants of invaders. Big difference.

Melville and Hawthorne were Americans, not European at all.

Shakespeare and Tolstoy were from greater Europe of course.

In any event, what makes Shakespeare so important isn't that he's "european" but the fact that his work was so critical for Western Civilization and the English language, which still uses a lot of the words he coined to this day. Students may wonder why loansharks are called "Shylocks", but after they study Shakespeare they know.

ROFL Paleface invaders from Europe are not Europeans. Yeah, right.

Everybody is supposed to think what Europeans tell them to.

Both Hawthorne and Melville were Americans from birth, they didn't "invade" shit.

The descendants of invaders. Big difference.

Actually, Hawthorne was the descendent of religious refugees seeking to practice their faith in Almighty God, the Puritan people, not "invaders" at all.

Forum List

Back