Harry Morgan, Paternal Colonel Potter on ‘M*A*S*H,’ Dies at 96

Alan Stallion

Civil Rights Advocate
Dec 17, 2009
San Jose, California
Dec. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Harry Morgan, the actor who played strait-laced U.S. Army Colonel Sherman T. Potter on the television series “M*A*S*H” through eight of its 11 celebrated seasons, has died. He was 96.

He died today at his home in Los Angeles, the New York Times reported, citing his son, Charles Morgan. No cause was given.

Morgan was 60 years old and a veteran of movies and television when he introduced the character of Colonel Potter on “M*A*S*H” in September 1975.

The show, an often-dark comedy about a mobile Army surgical hospital during the Korean War, was entering its fourth season. The previous season had ended with the doctors and nurses absorbing the shocking news that their most recent commander, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake (McLean Stevenson), had been killed in a plane crash on his long trip home after his discharge...

Harry Morgan, Paternal Colonel Potter on ‘M*A*S*H,’ Dies at 96 - Businessweek

Harry Morgan was a terrific character actor.

I liked him better in Dragnet than in MASH.

In Dragnet - the good guys always won.

In Korea - it was a crap tie.

Dec. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Harry Morgan, the actor who played strait-laced U.S. Army Colonel Sherman T. Potter on the television series “M*A*S*H” through eight of its 11 celebrated seasons, has died. He was 96.

He died today at his home in Los Angeles, the New York Times reported, citing his son, Charles Morgan. No cause was given.

Morgan was 60 years old and a veteran of movies and television when he introduced the character of Colonel Potter on “M*A*S*H” in September 1975.

The show, an often-dark comedy about a mobile Army surgical hospital during the Korean War, was entering its fourth season. The previous season had ended with the doctors and nurses absorbing the shocking news that their most recent commander, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake (McLean Stevenson), had been killed in a plane crash on his long trip home after his discharge...

Harry Morgan, Paternal Colonel Potter on ‘M*A*S*H,’ Dies at 96 - Businessweek

awwwwwwwww... :(

Who is going to feed Sophie?

Oh and proving I have no life, I know useless trivia about mash.

Here is one for ya, what characters were there at the pilot and last show of the tv show mash?

What actor played in the movie and t.v. show?

Here is one for ya, what characters were there at the pilot and last show of the tv show mash?

Taking a stab at it, it's been ages since I've seen the show... Alan Alda (Hawkeye), Loretta Swit (Hotlips)... I don't think Jamie Farr's character (Klinger) is initially in it, but I could be wrong. Not sure about Father Mulkahey

What actor played in the movie and t.v. show?

Gary Burghoff (Radar O'Reilly)

Last edited:
A risky career move on Morgan's part.

The military was not esp popular in the 1970s.

Esp Korea or Nam pics - WW2 that was OK (Catch 22, Dirty Dozen, Kelleys Heroes, Where Eagles Dare etc)

New Topics

Forum List

Back