Harpoon the 'protesters'

All the rich people in Japan coudn't eat a whale if all they ate was whale meat for a week. I doubt this is a controversy of rich v. whales.

Whales, like dolphins are highly intelligent creatures with a definable language and social structure. When we start killing off people who breed a lot we can start killing off the whales.

whales =/= people

people > whales

Very true. But if you go downtown and start stomping kittens, most decent people would come out and kick your ass for doing it.

If this were a case where human lives were in danger or there was a substance in these whales that cured cancer, then you might have an argument here.

But this is about a delicacy food, and really, it is no different then when they killed whales for ambergris for perfume.

Joe, You might want to keep in mind that Even Greenpeace has denounced this group as Terrorist.

You should see what happens to tuna, chickens, cows, pigs, carrots, lettuce, etc.

1) None of which are as intelligent as wales.

2) Most of which are bred specifically for the purpose of being eaten.

People hunt and kill (and then eat!) animals in the wild all the time. And the 'intelligent' argument is a joke. Dogs are a hundred times smarter than whales and we've eaten them for millenia.

We've also bred dogs for the purpose of serving man... so it really doesn't put it in the same category.

whales =/= people

people > whales

Very true. But if you go downtown and start stomping kittens, most decent people would come out and kick your ass for doing it.

If this were a case where human lives were in danger or there was a substance in these whales that cured cancer, then you might have an argument here.

But this is about a delicacy food, and really, it is no different then when they killed whales for ambergris for perfume.

Joe, You might want to keep in mind that Even Greenpeace has denounced this group as Terrorist.

And if someone dies because of their actions, I'll be the first one to call for their prosecution.

Property damage... meh, don't care so much.

So we're not really sure how many of these animals there are left, but hey, let's let the Japanese kill them for meat for rich people. Sure. Why not?

Trying for the class warfare angle, comrade?

ain't the poor Japanese working stiff that are eating this stuff.

So let's kill a nearly intelligent, peaceful species so a few rich douchebags can have the vicarious thrill of doing something forbidden.

Again, nice to see douchbaggery isn't limited to American rich jerks.

Don't overdo it. It's not so expensive that only the uber-wealthy can afford it.

And if someone dies because of their actions, I'll be the first one to call for their prosecution.

Property damage... meh, don't care so much.

People have already been hurt. Check out my earlier link.

Trying for the class warfare angle, comrade?

So let's kill a nearly intelligent, peaceful species so a few rich douchebags can have the vicarious thrill of doing something forbidden.

Don't overdo it. It's not so expensive that only the uber-wealthy can afford it.

Whale meat goes for $300.00 a lbs in Japan. Sorry, can't remember the last time I ate something that costs $300.00 a lbs.

And here's the gag. The whaling industry is actually subsidized by the Japanese Government. Talk about "Corporate Welfare".

Incidently, to be fair, a lot of very decent Japanese folks are as horrified by this as we are.

Well, it seems the three 'protesters' are to be released without being charged.

Whale meat goes for $300.00 a lbs in Japan. Sorry, can't remember the last time I ate something that costs $300.00 a lbs. .

The price depends on what part of the whale the meat is from (and what type of whale, and what quality of catch, etc), but that number is certainly not average. It's pretty much as expensive as a good steak. Don't exaggerrate.

Just after the war, whale meat was a staple of school lunches provided for students who often had very little food at home. It has grown steadily more expensive over the decades. It's not everyday fare any more, but it's not exclusive to the black-tie set by any means.

The price depends on what part of the whale the meat is from (and what type of whale, and what quality of catch, etc), but that number is certainly not average. It's pretty much as expensive as a good steak. Don't exaggerrate.

Just after the war, whale meat was a staple of school lunches provided for students who often had very little food at home. It has grown steadily more expensive over the decades. It's not everyday fare any more, but it's not exclusive to the black-tie set by any means.

We aren't talking about after the war, when that sort of thing was still acceptable and we didn't understand whales were nearing extinction.

There is no good reason for whale hunting to still be happening at this point.

(Incidently, I understand steak is really expensive in Japan as well, because it's not exactly cattle country. At least that is what my Japanese co-worker tells me. Nice lady.)

Just like in the US, really good steak is really expensive and steak of varying quality varies in price.

Forum List

Back