Harper shoots, he scores YAY He nails it in China

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
From the Globe and Mail we are all cheering and doing cartwheels..

In China, a leap forward by Canada
From Thursday's Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Feb. 08, 2012 7:30PM EST
Last updated Wednesday, Feb. 08, 2012 11:00PM EST

The foreign investment promotion and protection agreement with China is a significant accomplishment, in this respect putting Canada ahead of the United States and Europe.

The fruits of Stephen Harper’s visit may not be glamorous – beef tallow is among the topics – but they add up to a surprising success, considering the Prime Minister’s initial reluctance to engage in personal diplomacy with Chinese leaders.

In China, a leap forward by Canada - The Globe and Mail

What's also very interesting is that CBC was reporting tonight that it appears we will be closing more than a few consulates in the US. Supposedly *cough* for budget reasons

Some Canadian consulates in U.S. could be shut
Country has 21 consular and trade office in United States
CBC News
Posted: Feb 8, 2012 11:34 PM ET
Last Updated: Feb 8, 2012 11:51 PM ET

While Prime Minister Stephen Harper is in China this week trying to open doors for new bilateral trade and investment opportunities, his government is quietly reviewing plans to padlock some of Canada’s consulates in the United States.

Sources tell CBC News that up to eight Canadian consulates and trade offices in cities across the U.S. could be closed by the end of the year.

Here's the key part of the story:

Shifting focus

It is also linked to a broader shift in the focus of Canadian trade and foreign policy away from the struggling economies in the U.S. and Europe, and more towards the rapidly growing markets in Asia and South America.

Harper is taking that message directly to China this week.

“Diversifying our markets is a key priority for Canada,” Harper told reporters in Beijing.

“We look forward to expanding our co-operation in many important areas including energy and natural resources, tourism and education.”

Some Canadian consulates in U.S. could be shut - Politics - CBC News

I guess the US doesn't need our oil now.

I see that Obama was and is showing political Canada how they will pay for not going the US foreign policy way with regards to the ME. Of course it also helps his 'Greenie' support base stay happy as well.

The whole idiocy surrounding Obama's very obvious election year move to postpone the Keystone is beyond bizarre in the sense that he may have appeased his enviro whackos but he has righteously pissed off a lot of Union supporters with this move.

I see that Obama was and is showing political Canada how they will pay for not going the US foreign policy way with regards to the ME. Of course it also helps his 'Greenie' support base stay happy as well.

I don't think Keystone was a ME thing. I think it was a play to your base thing.

In other news, Harper announced Canada will start selling uranium to China.

The whole idiocy surrounding Obama's very obvious election year move to postpone the Keystone is beyond bizarre in the sense that he may have appeased his enviro whackos but he has righteously pissed off a lot of Union supporters with this move.

Politics before sound policy is Obama's motto.
His rejection of billions of dollars into the U.S. economy and
hundreds of thousands of direct and indirect jobs was stunningly revealing.
Unfortunately, it also created a bit of an estrangement between Canada
and the U.S.
From Obama's gratuitous concern of the northern border to Canada above the Mexico border-to his rejection of keystone.....Has Canada and the U.S. gone from perfect friends, to perfect strangers....

Politics before sound policy is Obama's motto.
His rejection of billions of dollars into the U.S. economy and
hundreds of thousands of direct and indirect jobs was stunningly revealing.
Unfortunately, it also created a bit of an estrangement between Canada
and the U.S.
From Obama's gratuitous concern of the northern border to Canada above the Mexico border-to his rejection of keystone.....Has Canada and the U.S. gone from perfect friends, to perfect strangers....

Truth out its sad truly.

All for a political year, the repercussions will resonate forever.

I don't think Keystone was a ME thing. I think it was a play to your base thing.

In other news, Harper announced Canada will start selling uranium to China.

I think they are attached. You don't see the effect to see an attachment. I understand though I disagree.

Canada and China signed the deal with addendum's at the APEC conference. China has a desire to purchase a major share of Nexen energy in Canada and the prevailing thought was to prevent a state owned agency from purchasing rights to our natural resources. A communist one at that!

That deal is still under review with this signing giving confirmation that reciprocal investment in China's resource's by Canada would be allowed, encouraged and protected.

Forum List

Back