Harmon Killebrew Diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
Former Washington Senators and Minnesota Twins star Harmon Killebrew has esophageal cancer and is being treated at the Mayo Clinic near his home in Arizona, he said in a statement released Thursday.

Killebrew, inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1984 after a career that included 11 All-Star Game selections and the 1969 Most Valuable Player award, said he was recently diagnosed with the disease.

Killebrew, 74, currently ranks 11th on the all-time major league home run list with 573, and his eight seasons with 40 or more homers still is tied for second in league history with Babe Ruth.

<snip>

"With my wife, Nita, by my side, I have begun preparing for what is perhaps the most difficult battle of my life," Killebrew said in the statement. "I am being treated by a team of medical professionals at the Mayo Clinic. While my condition is very serious, I have confidence in my doctors and the medical staff, and I anticipate a full recovery.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPEVPHJS1ow&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

killebrew.jpg

• Banned
Shit. :sad:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew said Friday he will no longer fight his esophageal cancer and is settling in for the final days of his life.

The Minnesota Twins released a statement on Friday from Killebrew, who said he has "exhausted all options" for treatment of the "awful disease" and that the cancer is incurable.

"It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end," he said. "My illness has progressed beyond my doctors' expectation of cure."

The 74-year-old Killebrew said he will enter hospice care.

Read more: Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew ends fight with esophageal cancer - MLB - SI.com

I am really sorry. when I used to go to shows I met him and he was a real gentleman.A Prayer for Harmon...........for what its worth the stat for the ages is his home runs per-at bat, 4th all time even after all this time...and only to Ruth and 2 of the steroid gang whose names are not worthy to appear here.

Harmon Killebrew was a big man at the plate. "Hammerin' Harmon" was one of the greatest power hitters that even graced the diamond. But he is even bigger today, as he faces his final days with dignity and grace.

logo_min_79x76.jpg

Harmon Killebrew's statement

"It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end. With the continued love and support of my wife, Nita, I have exhausted all options with respect to controlling this awful disease. My illness has progressed beyond my doctors' expectation of cure.

"I have spent the past decade of my life promoting hospice care and educating people on its benefits. I am very comfortable taking this next step and experiencing the compassionate care that hospice provides.

"I am comforted by the fact that I am surrounded by my family and friends. I thank you for the outpouring of concern, prayers and encouragement that you have shown me. I look forward to spending my final days in comfort and peace with Nita by my side."

Harmon_Killebrew2_8x10.jpg
harmon-killebrew-esophageal-cancer.jpg

Thanks for the great memories Harmon...

So sad.

I am also glad he is an advocate for hospice. It is a great program. I hope he isn't in too much pain when he dies. :(

Sad to see

Another great athlete from my childhood passing away

Rest in peace Harmon...say hi to the Mick, Babe, Lou, Jackie and Roberto...

KyCwYTo7.jpg

min.png

Twins legend, Hall of Famer Killebrew dies
Mild-mannered long-distance slugger beloved in Minnesota

A man who wielded significant power in Washington, D.C., in the 1950s and is generally recognized as the first player to admire the parabolic trajectories of self-launched baseballs has died. Harmon Killebrew, slugger supreme, Hall of Famer and civic treasure in the Twin Cities, has joined the great majority, among whom he will stand with distinction because of achievement, friendly persuasion, unusual name and "Killer" nickname.

Killebrew succumbed to esophageal cancer Tuesday in Scottsdale, Ariz., at age 74.

Harmon Killebrew, Twins legend and Hall of Famer, dies at 74 | twinsbaseball.com: News

He led some great Twin teams and was one of the premier sluggers of the 1960s. Never heard anyone say anything bad about Killebrew

Costas and Verducci on Killebrew

Excellent ...

MLB Network | MLB.com: Multimedia

You are never too old to be that 9 year old kid crying his eyes out.

Harmon Killebrew: The Hall of Fame induction speech

mlbf_14882527_th_7.jpg

I grew up in this small town in Idaho, and my father used to like to go to the movies, and I'll never forget that a lot of times on warm summer evenings like this my father would take my brother, Bob, and I to the movies. And then after the movie was over, he would race us home. He'd always win. He was a man that took a great deal of pride in his children. I'll never forget, we used to play a lot of ball out in the front yard, and my mother would say, "You're tearing up the grass and digging holes in the front yard?" And my father would say, "We're not raising grass here, we're raising boys."

(Applause)

Harmon Clayton Killebrew Sr. would be very proud today, and I wish he were here. And somehow I know he is. Believe me, I know he is.

Excuse me. I don't know how these fellows ahead of me kept from being too emotional because, to me, this is an emotional experience. There's another person that I wish to thank today that's still living in that small town in Idaho. She's 89 years old. And that's my mother, Katherine.

(Applause)

She encouraged me with the unique, great attitude about life, and she couldn't be here today, but my awe at her (is) in a very special way, and (I) thank her for - I really thank her for my very being. And I would also like to thank my brothers Gene and Bob and my sister Eula who encouraged me in my early formative years when I was growing up. But there's a certain blonde girl from Idaho that's here today that encouraged me about as much as anyone else, and she's still doing that. She's here today, and I'd like to introduce her, my wife Elaine.

KillebrewMural.jpg

I grew up in Bloomington, Minnesota, the suburb of Minneapolis where Metropolitan Stadium was. I was only 2 blocks away across the highway. The lights from the ballpark would light up my lawn. Back in those days a kid could sneak in after the 3rd inning pretty easy. I met them all, even Willie Mays when the Giants came for an exhibition game. Harmon was a real man. A gentleman. I think I saw him question an umpire call one time and he did it like a gentleman. He allowed me to walk him to his car in the parking lot after a game one evening while he signed my glove. My friends all had their gloves signed by players and we'd show each other and then go play ball and in a few weeks the ink was rubbed off. We had no idea about saving those cards and baseballs that were signed. Love of the game.

When the the Twins were making their pennant run in '65, I had turned 12 years old in June and was a paper boy. Every morning before the city awoke, the Twins and I shared a moment of private joy as I read about yesterday's win, checked the lead in the standings and the box score.

Magic.

Statistics and baseball cards and radio broadcasts with static and dead air as Herb Carneal and Halsey Hall watched the players play and forgot to speak.

It was a time before ESPN and all the rest and the narrow glimpse we had of our heroes made them gods.

In the years that followed, our heroes were revealed as womanizing drunks or juicers or worse. Except Killebrew.

That 12 year old cries today.

When the the Twins were making their pennant run in '65, I had turned 12 years old in June and was a paper boy. Every morning before the city awoke, the Twins and I shared a moment of private joy as I read about yesterday's win, checked the lead in the standings and the box score.

Magic.

Statistics and baseball cards and radio broadcasts with static and dead air as Herb Carneal and Halsey Hall watched the players play and forgot to speak.

It was a time before ESPN and all the rest and the narrow glimpse we had of our heroes made them gods.

In the years that followed, our heroes were revealed as womanizing drunks or juicers or worse. Except Killebrew.

I like to joke that I never realized bicycles didn't come with a baseball glove on the handlebars until I bought my son his first bike. Growing up in the 50's and 60's was the greatest era to be a kid. And baseball was our reason for being. There were very few teams we didn't know the lineup and the radio voice.

Harmon Killebrew was bigger than life back then. It is nice to know Harmon was a much bigger man off the diamond.

We just lost Ernie Harwell last year. He too showed courage and grace in his final days. It is sad to see an era end. Thank God we still have Vin Scully. I remember his call of Don Larson's perfect game in 1956. He understands the game doesn't need words. He is in tune with the pace of the game.

Magic.

I like to joke that I never realized bicycles didn't come with a baseball glove on the handlebars until I bought my son his first bike. Growing up in the 50's and 60's was the greatest era to be a kid. And baseball was our reason for being. There were very few teams we didn't know the lineup and the radio voice. Harmon Killebrew was bigger than life back then. It is nice to know Harmon was a much bigger man off the diamond.

We just lost Ernie Harwell last year. He too showed courage and grace in his final days. It is sad to see an era end. Thank God we still have Vin Scully. I remember his call of Don Larson's perfect game in 1956. He understands the game doesn't need words. He is in tune with the pace of the game.

That's so true. The kids in my neighborhood, and there were many, would play bal with two on a side. "Right field's dead" meant the fielder only needed to cover the left field side of the diamond and outfield.

We were little and skinny and didn't really do anything right, but we were about equal to each other and we played the game and the role. Batting with a bat that had a nail in it. No cover on the ball. The bases were worn parts of the "empty lot". Mrs. G's window was broken more than once.

Who can think of playing ball as a kid in the 60's and not smile?

Forum List

Back