Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. in big Trump-tariff fail

Not that I trust Snopes all the time, but they did get this one right.

Brainiac and Vandalshandle are incapable of understanding TIMELINES.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/harley-davidson-steel-tariffs/
You should have read the site.

Fact Check
Did Harley-Davidson Close a Wisconsin Factory to Move Production to Thailand Due to New Steel Tariffs?
The iconic motorcycle manufacturing company announced they were opening a factory in Thailand nearly a year before President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on steel imports.
vKQ0yQLW-720.jpg

MOSTLY FALSE
WHAT'S TRUE
Harley-Davidson has announced the closure of at least one of their U.S. factories and also announced that they would be opening a manufacturing plant in Thailand.

WHAT'S FALSE
These decisions were both made before President Trump imposed tariffs on imported steel, and Harley-Davidson did not shut down their Wisconsin plant nor stop building motorcycles in the United States.

ORIGIN
Motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson could face new challenges in the wake of President Donald Trump’s sudden decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum in March 2018.

However, a subsequent viral Facebook post exaggerated these challenges, appearing to conflate the announcement with old news stories about Harley-Davidson’s past business decisions:

Typically I don't look to Twitter for a reliable news source.
It's Snopes website which proves what the former post claimed was False.

Sorry, must have seen the tweet and just about went blind...LOL.
I assume you ignore Trump's Tweets.

I don't get his tweets, or anybody else's. Who needs to get them when we can find out here.

They wasn’t a decision to move production over seas. Trump helped them make that decision.

Yup, wrong again.
Harley-Davidson to close US factory as sales slide
No mention of moving jobs over seas.

Harley plans to move the plant's operations to its York, Pa., facility, which would eventually add about 450 jobs as part of the consolidation.

They have stated openly they are moving job to Thailand and CNN has also reported. They better come out and say they are hiring in PA, Trump is moving to the auto industry soon, which will be a boon of 100's of thousands of jobs, but they better hope they don't get caught up in making a bad decision and finding it tougher to sell into the U.S market again.
Yes after the tariffs.
Harley-Davidson plans a Thailand factory to serve Southeast Asian market

May 2017 was over a year before WE decided to impose tariffs.
We are talking about the European market now...

Sigh. . . . As has been observed many times, when a country starts to stand up for itself on trade, yes, you are going to have some cases of this kind of thing, but history--old and recent--shows that in the long run the people as a whole are better off.

And, gee, free traders never said a peep in the 90s and 00s when companies were leaving the U.S. in droves thanks to free-trade policies.

Sigh. . . . As has been observed many times, when a country starts to stand up for itself on trade, yes, you are going to have some cases of this kind of thing, but history--old and recent--shows that in the long run the people as a whole are better off.

And, gee, free traders never said a peep in the 90s and 00s when companies were leaving the U.S. in droves thanks to free-trade policies.
Please give an example of this history. History shows me everyone loses in a trade war.

Trump greenlights the Bayer-Monsanto merger that is 10 times larger than Harley-Davidson! Yet Trump never speaks or tweets of off-shoring Monsanto, but blows up the airwaves on chump-change Harley-Davidson to feed red meat to his repubtarded base.

Last edited:
Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson, which is feeling stung by the move and it now plans to shift production overseas. Layoffs and/or US plant closures are likely.

Silly me, I thought Making America Great Again was the opposite of bringing jobs overseas.

The good news is that Trump will probably cave and backtrack on his tariffs in the near future, while pretending to have gotten some sort kick-ass deal with the rest of the world.
Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. after EU tariffs

Shocking! How could anyone have forecast this happening?

Not the only manufacturer either.
Largest US nail manufacturer lays off employees, warns it may have to shut down over Trump tariffs

The bottom line is these tariffs were supposed to create more jobs. Here is an example of jobs leaving. Tariff fail.
Hey, Brainless! The decision to close the KC Harley plant and build overseas was made before the US tariffs were announced.

The decision to close the US plant was made before the tariff. The decision to build another one in Europe was made as a direct consequence of the tariff.
This quote is from Snopes....not from the debunked Facebook post that was printed there as evidence of what they were debunking.

Snopes said:
This Facebook post is largely based on a 9 March 2018 MSNBC segment that featured reporter Garrett Haake speaking with employees at a Harley Davidson plant in Kansas City, Missouri. Some viewers, including the above Facebook poster, may have been confused by the segment, as it did not clearly state that Harley-Davidson first announced that this plant would be closing in January 2018 — more than a month before Trump made his tariff decision.

Vandalshandle said:
The decision to build another one in Europe was made as a direct consequence of the tariff.

Harley-Davidson plans a Thailand factory to serve Southeast Asian market

The decision to build ANOTHER overseas plant in Thailand came OVER A YEAR BEFORE Trump announced his plans to add tariffs to steel and aluminum.

My God, you people are fucking brain dead!

Ok. If you want to believe that Trump's tariff had nothing to do with Harley's decision to build a plant in Europe, in spite of the fact that they announced just that, and in spite of the fact that the tariff would cost them hundreds of millions of dollars, and in spite of the fact that Harley very specifically said that they are doing it so that they will not have to pass the tariff on the US buyers, and in spite of the fact that little Donnie is having a temper tantrum over it, and threatening to tax them even more because they "caved in" to his trade war foes, don't let me interrupt you fantasy world.

Forum List

Back