"Harley-Davidson Needs a New Generation of Riders"

Erinwltr

Gold Member
Feb 8, 2018
This seemed like the most fitting forum to post about this article since BW is mainly a money mag. A really great read about Harleys past, culture, customers and current economic and political predicament.

"If it wants to survive Trump’s tariffs and an aging customer base, the company has to embrace a cultural shift."

bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-08-23/harley-davidson-needs-a-new-generation-of-riders

Last edited:
This seemed like the most fitting forum to post about this article since BW is mainly a money mag. A really great read about Harleys past, culture, customers and current economic and political predicament.

"If it wants to survive Trump’s tariffs and an aging customer base, the company has to embrace a cultural shift."

bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-08-23/harley-davidson-needs-a-new-generation-of-riders
You're going to have to copy and paste, apparently Bloomberg doesn't like linking their articles without a subscription..........

Article title:

Can Millennials Save the Motorcycle Industry?

Terms of Service Violation

You're going to have to copy and paste, apparently Bloomberg doesn't like linking their articles without a subscription..........

Article title:

Can Millennials Save the Motorcycle Industry?

Terms of Service Violation
Uummmmm, I didn't even link it just cut and pasted.

It's pretty tough for a struggling millennial fresh out of college to plop down the big bucks for a Harley.

But give it a couple of decades when the millennial's have reached financial stability, and purchasing and riding a new HD will be a sign they have made it life. .... :cool:

Basically millennials aren't cruisers, they're not part of the "easy rider" generation. For the most part they're opting for bare bones, smaller, cheaper urbanesque type bikes to rip around town on so the market is changing.

well i thought that they had a new bike in the BUELL but they got rid of that maybe 10 or more years ago . I liked the Steel tube framed Buells , don't remember the model names but i did want one but then they went to a monocoque aliminum frame . Next choice would be a Sportster XR1200 or plain jane base Superglide if they still make it . In the Sportster i'd go with the pretend flat tracker , think it was the XR1200 made for a couple of year in the 2010s or thereabouts . . I'd like to see a reissue of the old late 1970s 'xlcr' . Problem is the performance and type of performance . New younger rider are more attracted to high strung hyper performance in my opinion . I am the type of 70 year old buyer that will probably be gone sooner or later . As a comment , TRIUMPH redid themselves and are going quite well from what i understand Erin .

Last edited:
No one wants a big slow loud unreliable expensive motorcycle anymore.

I have never understood why anyone buys a Harley

Basically millennials aren't cruisers, they're not part of the "easy rider" generation. For the most part they're opting for bare bones, smaller, cheaper urbanesque type bikes to rip around town on so the market is changing.
And that's the way most millennial's will start out riding.

They will buy a smaller bike, learn to ride, and then eventually want a bigger bike with more power and speed. Lots of speed. But as they get older, get tired of traffic tickets, and just want to cruise down the road in comfort.

The aging millennials will be throwing their leg over the seat of a land yacht like a GoldWing or a custom bagger HD. .... :cool:

Because it was an icon. In the 80s and 90s it became a status symbol for those who could afford one.

I was never one to put up with any product because it was a status symbol

IMO it's sad and funny to see fat old guys squeeze into leather vests and pants only to transport their big loud slow expensive motorcycles on a trailer so they can ride for a few miles through a town

And that's the way most millennial's will start out riding.

They will buy a smaller bike, learn to ride, and then eventually want a bigger bike with more power and speed. Lots of speed. But as they get older, get tired of traffic tickets, and just want to cruise down the road in comfort.

The aging millennials will be throwing their leg over the seat of a land yacht like a GoldWing or a custom bagger HD. .... :cool:
Once again, maybe, maybe not. Of course my crystal ball is not as up to date as yours....... :eusa_whistle:
Besides even older people like me are looking for something else like Can-Ams, etc. Heck my dream bike is a Ural M70 but they're expensive. I would even opt for the Ural CT if they brought the price down which they may have to do if the market is driving towards cheaper bikes.

Because it was an icon. In the 80s and 90s it became a status symbol for those who could afford one.

I was never one to put up with any product because it was a status symbol

IMO it's sad and funny to see fat old guys squeeze into leather vests and pants only to transport their big loud slow expensive motorcycles on a trailer so they can ride for a few miles through a town
It is what it is, I was never a Harley fan nor am I interested in status symbols but status seekers are everywhere.

Forum List

Back