Harley Davidson, and the other fakes

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Working Man, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Harley Davidson has enjoyed undeserved support from the American People.
    The last straw was when I went into a bike shop yesterday and looked around.. There were plenty of chrome plated mirrors, brake cables, and garments for the Harley rider and wannabeees.

I couldn't help but look at the lables on the vacuum packed accessories to see where the products were made.. Custom Chrome and Kurryakin are two well known parts makers for Harleys and big twin customs.. Every package was marked "Made in Taiwan", or "Korea"

I checked out the Harley Davidson riding boots.. They cost about $139 a pair.. "Made in China" is on the little orange lable inside the shoe.

Then I checked out the Chippewa boots.. "Made in America since 19xx"
    That is what the box and sales header claims,,, but when I looked inside the shoe??? "Made in China"... Not all were, but shoes that cost up to $169, and come inside the same Chippewa boxes should be labled as imports..

Lastly, for now,, I did see some garments and vehicle accessories with the infamous West Coast Choppers, and Orange County Choppers logos...

Yep, you guessed it.. Jesse James's doo dads and big Paul's Tuetal's crap is all being made in China.. Stainless steel license plate holders, toys, hats, etc.. All imported from China.. So when these clowns all wave the US flag in one hand, they are stabbing the American customers in the back with the other hand.

Talk about US job growth?? Being patriotic??? :piss2:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You know, you're right. We want jobs in America making low cost, consumer goods. I mean, we can pay the folks $5.25 and hour and everybody will be happy right?

Why don't you try looking at where we excel - in high-technology products, services, etc.

I don't know about you, but I really don't know too many AMERICANS (not talking about the illegals here) that want jobs making underwear, shoes, etc.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    :piss2: Unions!

4. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    LOL - I own an '03 Honda Goldwing.

Obviously it's a Japanese bike.

It's made in Marysville Ohio by Americans.

Ain't that a hoot.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Working Man, I doubt you would be able to survive for very long without using any foreign made goods.

6. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    and thats why we as a country need to be less dependent on other countries for goods. we get entirley too many of our goods from them. hypothetically speaking, if everyone decided to stop supplying up, we'd be up a creek.

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    And if we stopped buying junk from them, they would stop buying high-tech products and services from us. In world trade, there is a give and take. We can put up a factory making clothes tomorrow, whereas it will take them years, if not decades, to be able to manufacture the technologically advanced products we make here. The problem is that Americans need to educate themselves to be able to compete in the 21st Century. Again, I don't know too many Americans that want to work in factories making cheap products. There isn't any money in it.....

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    its all part of my evil plot to close off the US borders!
    be self sufficient

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    we can't be self-sufficient. sorry.

10. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    UNIONS??? Nope,,, they have their place on occasion, but for the most part I am not fond of them. I've seen one side in private industry. Seen the other side in public service.

Three types of unions you want to be part of. Public School Teachers, Firemen, and Police. In each case you have it made if you have your time in. And for each day that the members of these three unions go to work,, many in the private sector need to go to work too in order to pay for those Teachers, firemen and police.. And evey week, or two and twice a year, the private sector needs to pony up in taxes... So long as there is a private sector... Most local budgets are looking at 60%, or more, of every tax dollar collected going to public education alone.

Ever try telling the municipal tax collector that your job of twenty years,, designing airplanes, or jet engines went by by with the economy?? Or because the collapse of the airline industry, or just the price of fuel, or liability insurance forced your company under.. Does the tax man say,, "Don't worry about your property taxes fella,, when you get the money, you know where to send it"... Your ass and your shit is on the street real quick while the "government" auctions off your house to someone who has a more high tech job..

OK, back to the low wage jobs that are being offered up for grabs... Do I want to make shoes? No, I would rather set up and repair the computer aided lasers that cut the leather and soles.. At least that was a good job for a field engineer. And to be honest, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a person who can sew a pair, or craft a pair of shoes.. I wear them every day. And at $60 a pair, and up,,, I am sure that the company who makes them can pay Americans more than $5.25 an hour.. I don't buy the agument that because an item sells cheap, that we can't pay American employees a decent wage.. I am not saying that every job in America is going to be one that will allow a person to buy a house or a car.. There are entry level jobs, and transitional jobs, and then there are the career jobs.

Now,, do we have people in this country who would rather sit on their stupid lazy asses and do nothing but snort coke, crack and the rest all day??? Sure we do.. Who wants to hire some moron who shows up once in while and does nothing while there?? Nobody in their right mind, yet we have laws in America that allow people to tie the hands of well intention companies.. So many of these people, and so many of that type need to be hired or your company gets brought up on charges!!!! Sure,, I know there is a reason many companies bolt from the US...They were driven out by the very people who need those entry level jobs the most..

NOW,,, what do we do with the trash that are unemployed and are driving our culture in the sewer??? Are there numbers going up, or down???

Do you think that the "high tech" jobs will ever be within their grasp??

How about the HT jobs for the well meaning single moms and dads who never finished high school??? Some of these folks ARE good people who deserve a chance.. What about them??? How about the men and women who are in their mid to late forties that have worked in aerospace, manufacturing, and automotive fields and have been let go.. Do you know what age discrimination is?? I do. ((By the way, I have a decent job))

OK,, now about mr Merlin's Honda.. Assembling a motorcycle is better than doing nothing at all. I give you that. However, manufacturing a motorcycle with parts made in your plant, located in the US, or by other smaller US firms (such as done in Japan), was, is, and always will be the best type of company for this country. Each company that hires engineers, techs, machinists, assembly people, shippers, sales, marketing, etc, etc,, provides the most bang for the buck and employees the widest skill range of our FELLOW citizens.

Now what do you guys have to say? Some day, even the smart ass punks who think their shit doesn't stink will get the pink slip, and probably as a result of outsourcing to offshore places. Then, and perhaps only then,, will it dawn on them that having more good jobs in this country is a good thing. It brings stabilty and growth to all sectors and disciplines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.