Harkin calls Cheney a coward

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
Iowa Senator Calls Cheney 'Coward'

Sen. Tom Harkin says Vice President Dick Cheney's questioning of John Kerry's war record and his ability to protect America is "cowardly."

The Iowa Democrat, a former Navy fighter pilot, says it outrages him that someone who got five deferments that allowed him to skip serving in Vietnam and said he had "other priorities" at that time would make that kind of comment.

Harkin said he had seen clips of the vice president saying in Iowa last week that Kerry lacks a basic understanding of the war on terrorism and couldn't make America safer.

Harkin says it makes his "blood boil" to hear criticism of Kerry from Cheney. Cheney has recently been mocking John Kerry for calling for a "more sensitive war on terror."

"When I hear this coming from Dick Cheney, who was a coward, who would not serve during the Vietnam War, it makes my blood boil," said Harkin. "He'll be tough, but he'll be tough with someone else's kid's blood."

Harkin accused President George W. Bush and his vice president of "resorting to dirty attacks on John Kerry's war record.

Harkin said Bush and Cheney are running scared because John Kerry has a war record and they don't. And he called Cheney's statements cowardly.

Harkin, a 20-year veteran of the Senate, was a Navy flier from 1962-67, including stints at Atsugi Naval Air Station in Japan and Guantanamo Bay. He served 1968-74 in the Reserves.

A spokesman for the Republican National Committee dismissed Harkin's criticism as "shrill, negative attacks."

NBC5i

lilcountriegal said:
Uh... thats not a record he should be bragging about.

Harkin'll be the next Cheney tells to fuck off on the Senate floor.

probably, but harkin does have a point considering cheney's 5 deferments and harkins 20 years in the navy.

DKSuddeth said:
probably, but harkin does have a point considering cheney's 5 deferments and harkins 20 years in the navy.

DK, neither of these men's service or not matters and you know it. Kerry's does, only cause he made it so. Why doesn't he just release his records?

Kathianne said:
DK, neither of these men's service or not matters and you know it.

It does matter if they are using military or combat related arguments.

Kathianne said:
Kerry's does, only cause he made it so. Why doesn't he just release his records?

He's probably hiding something, thats my guess.

DKSuddeth said:

I completely agree with Kathianne's above statement. Cheney question Kerry's war record. Well, there are questions about Kerry's record. Releasing the record would solve that problem. The Dems are getting what they asked for in this case... they brought previous service into this campaign and are pissing and moaning as it backfires.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
DKSuddeth said:
It does matter if they are using military or combat related arguments.

I think Cheney and Bush are arguing overall military positions and approaches to the WOT,thus the attack directed toward Kerry on a "sensitive war", not their personal service as compared to Kerry's position in his campaign.

lilcountriegal said:
Well, there are questions about Kerry's record. Releasing the record would solve that problem. The Dems are getting what they asked for in this case... they brought previous service into this campaign and are pissing and moaning as it backfires.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kathianne said:
DK, neither of these men's service or not matters and you know it. Kerry's does, only cause he made it so. Why doesn't he just release his records?

I agree with you - military service certainly isn't a necessary factor in electing a President.

But since the Dems want to make it a factor let's compare:

John Kerry has 4 MONTHS service as a Lt. in the Navy in one war.

GW Bush has 4 YEARS service as Commander-in-Chief of the Navy, Air Force, Army, Marines, and Coast Guard in two wars.

Who wins the military service award? ;)

ScreamingEagle said:
I agree with you - military service certainly isn't a necessary factor in electing a President.

But since the Dems want to make it a factor let's compare:

John Kerry has 4 MONTHS service as a Lt. in the Navy in one war.

GW Bush has 4 YEARS service as Commander-in-Chief of the Navy, Air Force, Army, Marines, and Coast Guard in two wars.

Who wins the military service award? ;)

commander in chief is not military service, technically. :teeth:

Even if someone thinks that "Unfit for Command" is filled with nothing but lies, there still is the matter of his anti-veteran rhetoric (calling them murderers, comparing them to Genghis Khan, appearing on shows and at other events with fake veterans, etc). I guess we should just ignore that because Kerry served, and that entitles you to insult veterans like this without "having your patriotism questioned".

It pisses me off how people hardly ever seem to talk about these things. They just talk about how he is so great because he served, and nothing else matters. I don't believe that for a second. I'm not just going to forget his comments (I haven't even gotten to his Senate record).

I also think it's odd how Harkin didn't seem to care about how Clinton did not serve. I guess it's different when it's a Democrat.

DKSuddeth said:
commander in chief is not military service, technically. :teeth:

Technically you're right.

So then why are the Dems making military service such a big issue? :D

ScreamingEagle said:
Technically you're right.

So then why are the Dems making military service such a big issue? :D

because they think theres fire about Bush's guard service and kerry wants to look like a war president.

DKSuddeth said:
because they think theres fire about Bush's guard service and kerry wants to look like a war president.

Ok, DK Your chance to be the liberal. When do you think they'll get it? D'oh? Kerry is looking more like tinkerbell by the day.

Kathianne said:
Ok, DK Your chance to be the liberal. When do you think they'll get it? D'oh? Kerry is looking more like tinkerbell by the day.

get what? something about the guard service?

DKSuddeth said:
get what? something about the guard service?

The comparison between the two. It's more than obvious that Kerry was hoping for a hit on GW's unfounded AWOL status. Actually, sick though it is, it predates GW altogether. Kerry seems to have fabricated a very weird scenario for his service. HERO and WAR PROTESTOR. Throw the other guy's medals over. Whatever.

Didn't Harkin back Howard Dean? I seem to recall that Dean didn't go to Vietnam because he had a back problem or some other medical problem. He went skiing instead.

Kathianne said:
The comparison between the two. It's more than obvious that Kerry was hoping for a hit on GW's unfounded AWOL status. Actually, sick though it is, it predates GW altogether. Kerry seems to have fabricated a very weird scenario for his service. HERO and WAR PROTESTOR. Throw the other guy's medals over. Whatever.

thats why i've always considered it stupid for kerry to even start in on the vietnam service issue.

britinusa said:
Didn't Harkin back Howard Dean? I seem to recall that Dean didn't go to Vietnam because he had a back problem or some other medical problem. He went skiing instead.

Great point! AAARRgggghhhh

Forum List

Back